Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

when was evander holyfeild at his best.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would have to say in 97 when he beat mike tyson, evander peaked late in his carrer much the same as hopkins did.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Holyfield had 2 different eras. When Holy was first up and coming, he was a pure boxer, had speed, heart, a chin, and so many other assets. He also had a lot stamina. Mid 90's Holy, was great in all, but he still wasn't the fighter he was when he 1st entered the ring. Holy was a force to be reckoned with in the eighties. Remember he was an over-sized cruiser weight, and he destroyed the Heavy Weight Champ (Buster Douglas) in three short rounds. When he was champ, every was "quote going to knock him all around the ring", and all the found was the little man willing to slug it out. Homes to his credit fought a much better fight against Holy than he did Tyson. I will have to say the 85 - 92 Holy was better. How could you ever forget Holy slugging it out with Douglas.

Early Holy was better. And Yes in this era he would of beat Tyson the way he did in the 90's.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he would have beaten tyson but he lost to bowe and morrer.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
tommygunn said:
he would have beaten tyson but he lost to bowe and morrer.:laugh:
Bowe was good, Holyfield had more expeirence in 97 other than that he was slightly deteriorated.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
But he was just as old as Tyson, and Holyfield focused more on power in 97. In 92 he hit hard, fast, strong, agile, and had good stamina, and great heart.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
i think holyfield was at his best when he beat tyson.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bill1234 said:
But he was just as old as Tyson, and Holyfield focused more on power in 97. In 92 he hit hard, fast, strong, agile, and had good stamina, and great heart.
in 92 he lost to morrer:laugh: : :thumbsup: :laugh: :thumbsup: good one bill.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
So??? In 90 Tyson lost to Douglas. Everyone has their bad nights.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bill1234 said:
So??? In 90 Tyson lost to Douglas. Everyone has their bad nights.
yeah but douglas was the end of mike as we know him, evander was still 5 or 6 years from his best when he lost to morrer.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Tyson and Holyfield were the same age, but the Holyfield that beat Bowe ws the true "prime" Holyfield.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
White Tyson said:
He was a lot quicker when he was younger... I reckon he is sluggish and Slow!
He wasn't slugish and slow in 97 just relyed on his power to much. He like most boxers relyed on something to much. Frazier with his left hook, Ali with his speed, Foreman with his power, Holmes with his jab in the second half of his career.

·
Registered
43 Posts
evander

evander did pretty good in his last fight and new how to move and throw the punch. i havent seen not one russian heavyweight with those abilities.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Then you should vote for 92 because it is closest,thats what I always do.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Everyone has a bad night, Tyson had a bad night when Buster Douglas beat him up, Holyfield had a bad night against Moorer.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Thats what I'm saying he just wasn't the same. Just a lot more gradual then what happened to Tyson when James Buster Douglas beat him. Or Ali and Frazier after the Thrilla in Manilla.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Dr. Wisdom said:
Holyfield had 2 different eras. When Holy was first up and coming, he was a pure boxer, had speed, heart, a chin, and so many other assets. He also had a lot stamina. Mid 90's Holy, was great in all, but he still wasn't the fighter he was when he 1st entered the ring. Holy was a force to be reckoned with in the eighties. Remember he was an over-sized cruiser weight, and he destroyed the Heavy Weight Champ (Buster Douglas) in three short rounds. When he was champ, every was "quote going to knock him all around the ring", and all the found was the little man willing to slug it out. Homes to his credit fought a much better fight against Holy than he did Tyson. I will have to say the 85 - 92 Holy was better. How could you ever forget Holy slugging it out with Douglas.

Early Holy was better. And Yes in this era he would of beat Tyson the way he did in the 90's.
I partly agree with you Mr Wisdom
I think he was at his best from the 86 fight with Qawi (cruiser title) to the 90 Douglas fight (heavy title)
He was also very good in the second Bowe and last moorer fights.
I know this is a big if,but if all the negitive circustances didn't enter Tysons life(like King) and he kept at least the nucleus of his corner team he would of beat Holyfield. I go as far as to say he might of stoped him.
Tyson is only remembered for his pitifull end.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts