Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
I find it difficult to rank him in the P4P top 10 as he ain't even the best Welterweight in the World and the man is one dimensional. He beat Cotto and good on him but maybe Cotto was overated.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I find it difficult to rank him in the P4P top 10 as he ain't even the best Welterweight in the World and the man is one dimensional. He beat Cotto and good on him but maybe Cotto was overated.
COme on man, he was not overrated... He showed the skills we all thought he had in the first half of the fight.. He jsut didnt fight the smartest of the fights, also, he needs someone to help him in the corner, a great trainer.

IMO Margarito is #7 until someone takes him out of there. ops

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
hard to tell. i had williams at 11 in june p4p rankings.

cotto goes down but marg doesn't go up that much.

i need to think before i can really say.

ps. cotto is not overrated. he still has skills. he showed it. p4p number 3 is now too high though.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Look at his record and how he beat everyone, Cotto was not overrated.
COme on man, he was not overrated... He showed the skills we all thought he had in the first half of the fight.. He jsut didnt fight the smartest of the fights, also, he needs someone to help him in the corner, a great trainer.

IMO Margarito is #7 until someone takes him out of there. ops
Cotto went 32-0 with 26 ko's over really good opposition, beating future, former, current, titlist with that trainer and Marg didnt have a great trainer either. Cotto fought a smart fight against someone that is bigger, stronger, and the better man that night.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IMO Margarito needs to beat Paul Williams to be called the best welterweight. And he'd be unifying titles if he beats him. But of course he will be seeking money fights from now on.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think Margarito, will get the oppotunities to show us where he belongs in the P4P list, his days of chasing fighters are over.

I would like to see him back in with Paul Williams and then Kelly Pavlik.

To me the De la Hoya fight, would be interesting, but with De La Hoya now in ceremonial mode (no disrespect intended), a Margarito win at this stage, does very little enhance his case for a high placing in the P4P list ( But i'm sure it will happen for one reason.... TV $$$$$$$$ )

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
De La Hoya will make big money regardless of who he fights. If your asking Margarito to face Pavlik then your asking too much. Pavlik is 2 divisions bigger and is a heavy hitter at 160 with a high workrate, I dont want to see that its a mismatch.

Margarito should and can beat Williams and anybody else at welterweight for that matter. A Mosley fight would be very very interesting, since Mosley is known for having the best stamina, with speed, and also finishes fights strong. That is a fight I want to see.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Physically Margarito is a huge Welterweight, he would have no problems stepping up two weight classes... check Margarito's height and frame, he could easily fight at light heavy.

And you know he can take a punch after Cintron, who hits just about as hard as anyone below heavyweight

·
Registered
69 Posts
Margarito should and can beat Williams and anybody else at welterweight for that matter. A Mosley fight would be very very interesting, since Mosley is known for having the best stamina, with speed, and also finishes fights strong. That is a fight I want to see.
I reread your post, I think you are confusing yourself... If you boldly say Margarito should/can beat anybody at welterweight.

Why would you then go on to state that you are "very very (lol) interested" in a MOSLEY VS MARGARITO fight?

And what makes you think that Mosley (the man Cotto outclassed), would fair better against Margarito?

Because I don't see MOSLEY-MARGARITO as an INTERESTING FIGHT, I see it as a STRIGHT FORWARD MARGARITO win by LATE KO.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Physically Margarito is a huge Welterweight, he would have no problems stepping up two weight classes... check Margarito's height and frame, he could easily fight at light heavy.

And you know he can take a punch after Cintron, who hits just about as hard as anyone below heavyweight
The jump from 154 to 160 is one of the biggest there is believe it or not. The body types, the strength, power is all different from middleweight up, middleweights that are just starting out walk around at 190, 180 the least. I'd be surprised if Margarito walks around at more than 170, he doesnt have to starve and dry himself out like Williams.

He could easily fight at light heavy if he wanted to lose to a mid level guy, just because he's 5'11 doesnt mean he'll be as effective. He'll lose his strength, size, and power advantage at 160+. Cintron p4p punching power is up there, but harder than anyone below heavyweight is ludicrous and shines a light on how much you dont know what your talking about.

·
Beautiful Man
3,552 Posts
Margarito won a big fight,great.But P4P there is a lot more that he has to prove.

Rahman knocked out Lewis,come on are you serious to Rank someone after 1 fight that was good?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts