Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Where do you rank Margarito P4P??

3K views 54 replies 22 participants last post by  Unseen 
I find it difficult to rank him in the P4P top 10 as he ain't even the best Welterweight in the World and the man is one dimensional. He beat Cotto and good on him but maybe Cotto was overated.
Look at his record and how he beat everyone, Cotto was not overrated.
COme on man, he was not overrated... He showed the skills we all thought he had in the first half of the fight.. He jsut didnt fight the smartest of the fights, also, he needs someone to help him in the corner, a great trainer.

IMO Margarito is #7 until someone takes him out of there. ops
Cotto went 32-0 with 26 ko's over really good opposition, beating future, former, current, titlist with that trainer and Marg didnt have a great trainer either. Cotto fought a smart fight against someone that is bigger, stronger, and the better man that night.

De La Hoya will make big money regardless of who he fights. If your asking Margarito to face Pavlik then your asking too much. Pavlik is 2 divisions bigger and is a heavy hitter at 160 with a high workrate, I dont want to see that its a mismatch.

Margarito should and can beat Williams and anybody else at welterweight for that matter. A Mosley fight would be very very interesting, since Mosley is known for having the best stamina, with speed, and also finishes fights strong. That is a fight I want to see.

Physically Margarito is a huge Welterweight, he would have no problems stepping up two weight classes... check Margarito's height and frame, he could easily fight at light heavy.

And you know he can take a punch after Cintron, who hits just about as hard as anyone below heavyweight
The jump from 154 to 160 is one of the biggest there is believe it or not. The body types, the strength, power is all different from middleweight up, middleweights that are just starting out walk around at 190, 180 the least. I'd be surprised if Margarito walks around at more than 170, he doesnt have to starve and dry himself out like Williams.

He could easily fight at light heavy if he wanted to lose to a mid level guy, just because he's 5'11 doesnt mean he'll be as effective. He'll lose his strength, size, and power advantage at 160+. Cintron p4p punching power is up there, but harder than anyone below heavyweight is ludicrous and shines a light on how much you dont know what your talking about.

I reread your post, I think you are confusing yourself... If you boldly say Margarito should/can beat anybody at welterweight.

Why would you then go on to state that you are "very very (lol) interested" in a MOSLEY VS MARGARITO fight?

And what makes you think that Mosley (the man Cotto outclassed), would fair better against Margarito?

Because I don't see MOSLEY-MARGARITO as an INTERESTING FIGHT, I see it as a STRIGHT FORWARD MARGARITO win by LATE KO.
Cotto outclassed Mosley:laugh:, your hilarious and your starting to embarrass yourself. It's not my fault you don't understand the concept of styles making fight, have you ever heard that phrase. There is a boxing download section here, also youtube, that could help you study some of Mosley's career fights. Mosley even at 37 is one of the boxers with the best stamina, fast handed, with a solid chin and body. It's a real good, interesting, fight, whether you realize it or not.

As far as the weight issue, your comments don't hold water (research a fighter called TOMMY HEARNS.

TOMMY HEARNS started off at welterweight and ended at lightheavy, are you telling me had had problems moving up the weight classes.

I could go on to educate you on BERNARD HOPKINS's career path in moving up and down in weight class if you want?

And as far AS CINTRON goes and his PUNCHING POWER, read my post again ( slowly) and see if you can make sense of it second time round.
Tommy Hearns started as a 6'1 welterweight with inhuman one punch KO power that could box and brawl better than anybody. Margarito doesnt have one punch ko power and he can't box (good), he is one dimensional (though he is great at that one thing) he gets hit way too much. Margarito has an iron chin, but if it was Pavlik doing the punching he wouldnt be able to walk through all the clean hard shots like he did against Cotto (I cant believe this is being debated).

Though you name drop Hearns and Hopkins, you know little about boxing and your comments show this. You know nothing or you choose to disregard boxing style, Margarito is more like Trinidad than he is Hearns.

"Cintron hits just about as hard as anyone under heavyweight" is an equally dumb comment as what I mixed it up with, dont act like I said something that was way off base from what you said.

READ CAREFULLY

This is a INTERNET FORUM, what is there to be EMBARRASSED about, its just opinions in here WHO IS RIGHT?, WHO IS WRONG?, I think someone forgot to tell you, that you don't get a cookie and a glass of milk for BEHAVING like you are the P4P CHAMP of WWW.BOXINGFORUM.COM.
:laugh:You went at me first, like I was saying something wrong. Your speaking like you know more than me because I said Pavlik would destroy Margarito and Margarito-Mosley is an interesting fight, your hilarious and shows how much you know.

If you didnt come off like an asshole because I disagreed with you maybe I wouldnt have reacted like that, which btw you're exaggerating, your pretty sensitive for someone that acts like they know what they're talking about.

Theres no way in hell Cotto outclassed Shane Mosely. He won a very close fight which really could have gone either way. Shane is the only 147'er with the cajonnes to get in there with Margarito right now.
He was dodged before now they'll avoid him like the plague
I usually don't jump in on other's beef, but Kelly Pavlik would dismantle Antonio Margarito in horrible fashion. AM struggled mightily with the slightly larger Daniel Santos and Paul Williams, Imagine him trying to back Pavlik up, never going to happen even in his wildest dreams. And please don't tell me Margo is stronger than Miranda, we saw what Pav did to him.

Hearns had all sorts of skills that AM lacks, speed, power and boxing ability to name a few. Yes AM is more durable than Hearns, but if he jumped up to 160 I think he'd be a big welterweight that is easy to hit ala Ricardo Mayorga.

Hopkins started as a Cruiserweight and didn't crack the middleweight limit on a regular basis until his 21st professional outing. So he is a huge middle. AM started at 133 and the highpoint weight wise for him was 153, so they are polar opposites as far as weight gain and loss.
Margarito is at 11 on my list. I want to see my boy Mosley fight Margarito. I think he will Margarito doesn't fight Cotto again. I think Mosley does what Cotto was doing but doesn't make the silly mistakes that Cotto made.

I also agree with whoever mentioned Pavlik-Margarito. That would be a great fight, but then again I just want to see Margarito get stopped in brutal fashion. Paul Williams should stay far far away from him.
I'd love to see pavlik knock margy out cold. Come on Margy Lovers, Pavlik is a whole nother level of punching power. He hasnt quite cracked my top 10 yet. He still only has a few big wins. Clottey, Cintron and now Cotto. Wow 3 C's.
Then you write.

MY ASSESSMENT BEFORE THE COTTO-MARGARITO FIGHT

DR P ASSESSMENT BEFORE COTTO-MARGARITO

You were WRONG on this fight DR P and I was RIGHT, does that mean I know more about boxing than you? of course not.... I will say it again to you, this is a forum, which is driven by peoples opinions.... there is no such thing as a boxing expert.

I've read some of your old post and I see a pattern with you, you like to feel superior in this forum and you like to talk down to people.... which may mean you don't have much of a life in the "REAL WORLD",

So I won't add anymore, because I guess for some people this is ALL they have to make them feel good about themselves.
Margarito can't box good, when he tries to box he loses rounds, as he did against Clottey, Santos, Williams, etc. Margarito is a great pressure fighter with a high workrate.

And you can see that I meant Cotto outboxed him, out skilled him, out everything him, and Margarito outfought him.

That put up 6 comment, was for some one that was saying Cotto would get a knockout in 5. That was not my assessment of the fight.

YOUR scowering the forum looking for my post, YOUR the one that started attacking me and my opinion in the first place, YOUR the one that started acting like an asshole, and I'm the one without a life, get real. If one person other than you in this forum feels like I talk down to them, come out and say something so I dont this guy is an idiot looking for things that arent true to talk bad about. I've been here 4 months and this is the first forum I eve been on or post on, so your assumption about me is funny and off base, just because you not happy with your life and that makes you post doesnt mean everyone else is. No one agrees with you give it up

I don't know what the deal is with that either man. IMO Cotto is still one of the ten best boxers on the planet. I think he beats Margarito in a rematch as well.

You couldn't be more wrong about DRPUGILIST. Just an FYI.

I don't get it either.
Thanks Shane, the guy doesnt know what he's talking about, I can't come to another conclusion except the guy being an idiot.
I'll put Margarito at 9. Cotto right behind him at 10
Where's my 6 g's Wicked, I told you there was no way Margarito was getting knocked out especially under 7.

It's going to take a boxer who can box circles around him for 12 rounds. Which is going to take great stamina and great skill. Obviously Floyd comes to mind. Now someone like floyd would get booed in doing so, but he'd get the W.
Yeah thats what I was thinking, Floyd would have to repeat to a larger extent the Baldomir performance, even still he would get hit way more than Baldomir hit him and pressured way more. That would be a tough test and great win, too bad we'll probably never see it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.