Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how you guys scored there fight? It was on ESPN Classics last night and i ended up watching it. Im VERY supprised it went the way it did.

I scored it 9 rounds to 3 for Buddy Mcgirt.

I gave Buddy rounds 1-5, I felt he worked more, and at the end of the 5th the only punches i could remember being landed the entire fight were James' right hands that he was scoring very often.

Then i gave him rounds 8,9,11,12. I just feel he worked more in those round and landed more, while Pernell didnt really do much.

How did you guys see it?

-Ian

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
no way he won the first couple rounds in my opinion he didn't loosen up till the late rounds because of his arm he wanted to be cautious. He just kept throwing jabs and an occasional right hand. Pernell mixed it up in the early rounds and late rounds. Mcgirt didn't throw enough punches. I didn't score the rounds i should've but i think pernell won

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my argument for the first couple rounds isn't the Mcgirt dominated them, but just the has is the only one that actually landed punches.Watch it back. Other then a few jabs Pernell doesn't really land any punches. On the other hand, Mcgirt landed a few punches AND a good amount of right hands.

I have the feeling people just gave the rounds to Pernell just because its Pernell.

After you take into account that Mcgirt is also the champion, and that he should have to really BEAT the champ, I think that he won the fight on the cards via star power, not really his fighting ability.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How could you not see see the right hands Pernell was eating? Even the announcer said something to the effect of "man, ive never seen Pernell get hit this often before"
Again, im not saying that Mcgirt was landing at will, simply saying that I cant remember a single punch Whittaker landed, and i can remember Mcgirt landing a good 2-3 right hands a round.

-ian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts