Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...let me start off by saying...I am not in any form a Floyd fan...nor am I a Floyd hater. In all actuallity...I am a huge fan of cotto. He has been my favorite boxer since his beginning...one of the reasons being that we have the same birthplace and I love and embrace my culture in all aspects of it...And with that said...I am also a boxing fan...A huge boxing fan...and could care less about any other sport. A huge fan of cotto...but an even bigger fan of boxing.

That's why I have a hard time believing that there is a welterweight out there right now that can stand toe to toe with Floyd Mayweather and beat him...Including my man Cotto. I believe what is goin on is that we as a people don't like it to see someone admitting to the fact that they are the best. If the New England Patriots were not "so cocky" then we would have loved to see them go undefeated (and of course I can't speak for everyone in what their thoughts in that situation was) but the fact is we don't like when someone tells us how they are compared to everyone else. If michael jordan would have once mumbled that he was the greatest...There would be nothing anyone could say to prove that he really was...cause...u know...we don't like that. If roger Federrer, or Tiger Woods ever let those words exit their mouths then we would make up someway to find out someone who is
better...because...Nooooo....we don't like that.

The truth of the matter is...We, as a group of sports fans every where are haters...and we don't like when someone is cocky as Floyd...I mean there has to be someone out there better right??? He can't be "the best in the sport or in his weight class" now can he??? The truth is...is if cotto for some reason defeats Floyd...and then goes on to win again...and again...The minute people start talking about he is the best...Its our duty as fans to find someone who is better...cause...u know...we don't like that. But with everyone fighting everyone in the division...If Floyd beats Cotto...then who's next for him to fight...I'm sure we'll come up with someone.

But what separates Floyd from my boy Cotto and the rest of the pack is...that HE DOESN'T GET HIT. Now of course I don't mean that literally...but for the most part it is very hard to get clean shots on Floyd...hence the nickname "Pretty Boy" he very seldom finishes the fight with a scratch...now there have been fights in which he has...if u look at the emmanuel burton fight he was "bloodied up" but that was when he had let go the defensive technique that his father taught him for a bit, and went more into the offense of his uncle Roger. But all other fighters in the class and most other classes too...do one thing that Floyd doesn't...and that's take punches. So whether it be Paul Williams long arms...to Margaritos wild looping punches...to Cottos amazing power...its all nullified if u can't hit your mark. Truth is...I would love to see Cotto destroy Floyd...It would be one of the highlights of me being a boxing fan...but I just can't see it happening. But the main word in that sentence is I...!!! U are entitled to your opinion...this is just mine...GO COTTO...HOPEFULLY 2009s best welterweight

·
Registered
808 Posts
The big show lol , really the only person i think has a chance is cotto , but honestly i dont think he can either but he has the best chance.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Cotto has a chance. He has a nice, quick stiff jab and applies educated pressure behind it. He also has a tight defence and has shown he can adapt to different styles.

I still think Mayweather would get a close decision win though.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
I think the two best fights Floyd has is COtto and then a fight a 154 with Forrest. I still think Forrest has enough skill to give Floyd a match if he's %100

·
Registered
624 Posts
i suppose cotto is the last fighter to have a chance i thought Hatton at the time but again floyd showed why he is P4P the best there is!

imo i don't think cotto can or will beat floyd, but just like any boxer stepping in the ring with PBF he still has a chance as long as he's standing!

i think Big Show has a good chance as well! but he's just too slow! oh and Fake!

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Forrest is to big for floyd, but I wouldnt put it past floyd that he would still win. That fight wont ever happen though. Floyd is not a 154 pound fighter, and forrest cant make 147 anymore. I'd say cotto has the only chance. And its about a 25 percent chance if that.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
You are the first Puerto Rican that I have heard about that isn't in denial. Very nice opinion you got there, and I agree. Cotto is good, but Mayweather outclasses him. After Mayweather is gone, Cotto could rule the Welterweight division with an iron fist.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
I think Cotto vs Mayweather would look like the last couple of rounds of the Hatton vs Mayweather fight but from the very first bell. Cotto doesn't get close fast enough, nowhere near as quick as Ricky does.

He'll be speared from the opening bell with shots straight down his pipe while he trys in vain to get close enough to do damage.

Theres no welterweight anybody can pick to beat pbf, maybe Berto in 5 years time.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Cotto has all the tools to beat Floyd : great jab, good combinations, lets his hands go, pretty good defense, accuracy, underrated handspeed and boxing skills. I think he will beat him but even if he loses he will be Floyd's toughest opponent. Oscar is the most competitive fighter Floyd faced (besides Castillo) and many believe Cotto would beat Oscar. Many believed Mosley would beat Floyd but Shane lost to Cotto. And on top of that Cotto reminds me of a prime Castillo (whom many believe beat Floyd in their first fight). I'm not puerto rican and I like both fighters so I'm not biased. Miguel is the only one out there who can do it.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Oscar was floyds toughest opponent by the scorecards but Floyd himeself said that Ricky was his toughest opponent.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I said Oscar was the most competitive fighter Floyd faced besides Castillo. The Hatton fight was probably the most physically rough fight Floyd's ever been in. But it wasn't competitive.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Cotto has all the tools to beat Floyd : great jab, good combinations, lets his hands go, pretty good defense, accuracy, underrated handspeed and boxing skills. I think he will beat him but even if he loses he will be Floyd's toughest opponent. Oscar is the most competitive fighter Floyd faced (besides Castillo) and many believe Cotto would beat Oscar. Many believed Mosley would beat Floyd but Shane lost to Cotto. And on top of that Cotto reminds me of a prime Castillo (whom many believe beat Floyd in their first fight). I'm not puerto rican and I like both fighters so I'm not biased. Miguel is the only one out there who can do it.
And he can use none of those if he cant get close to him without be caught.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
He's definitely gonna get caught or even hurt but he's ready to take a good punch in order to give one.

The fight will get stopped after about 6 rounds, Cotto's face will have been beaten to a pulp.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Floyd is not gonna stop Cotto. Hell Mosley hits harder than Floyd.
The speed and accuracy plus him being nigh on impossible to tag makes it a no hoper for Cotto, the accuracy is the key in this fight, Cotto will get destroyed when he trys to come in.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Cotto actualy has a chance (I believe).

- he showed he can handle speedy opponents by beating Shane and Judah.
- his pressure is more technically sound than Hatton's and he doesnt apply so much pressure all the time (he showed it against Mosley by backing up and boxing in the center). His style isnt like Hatton's, he can aply pressure using his jab and picking straight shots too, doesnt need to toe-to-toe all the time. And btw, hes way stronger than Hatton is phisically.
- Cotto can box, he showed very good ability countering and out jabbing Shane Mosley.
- he has serious punching power and loves to go to the body, and like some experts pointed before, the body is one of the very few exposures that Floyd has.
- Hes undefeated and showed he can addapt or make adjustments as the fight goes.
- All the hype is surrounding him, so lets not ruin it!

1 - 20 of 114 Posts