Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think were the biggest robberies in boxing?

I say Leonard-Hagler, Hagler cleary won but the judges must have been blind.

Another one, Holmes-Spinks, Holmes beat Spinks both times but was robbed.

The final one I can think of would be Lyle-Ali, I know Lyle was TKO'd but he had Ali beat and all he needed to do was survive, but Ali opened up on him with about a 7-8 punch combination with no return but Lyle was going to get hurt. The ref cheated Lyle by stoping the fight because Ali wasn't going to win unless he knocked Lyle out and the ref was probably a fan of Ali's so he stopped it.:dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Who got robbed the mos

Mo Harris beat Larry Holmes but got stiffed by Harold Ledderman. Just awful. Also, Tito's decsion over De La Hoya was bad as well. And Burton over Agustus was unreal. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
sturm v delahoya.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mo Harris didn't fight Larry Holmes, unless your talking about Maurice Harris. Larry cleary won.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Holmes was really robbed in both of his fights with Michael Spinks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Taylor vs Chavez

The worst decision was when Ref Richard Steele stopped the match with Meldrick Taylor and Chavez with two seconds to go. I smell Don King all over this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
bill1234 said:
The final one I can think of would be Lyle-Ali, I know Lyle was TKO'd but he had Ali beat and all he needed to do was survive, but Ali opened up on him with about a 7-8 punch combination with no return but Lyle was going to get hurt. The ref cheated Lyle by stoping the fight because Ali wasn't going to win unless he knocked Lyle out and the ref was probably a fan of Ali's so he stopped it.:dunno:
Bill-
I thought Lyle made a mistake by not firing back at some point during Ali's barrage,he left himself open to exactly what happened and the ref had a quick trigger. I think if you are going to stop a fight simply based on one fighter being in serious trouble,then this one is somewhat questionable. I've seen fighters rally back when they were a LOT worse off than Lyle was, especially 30 years ago(has it really been that long :rolleyes: ) when they let fights go on longer.

Dave
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what if Lyle didn't fire back, he had the fight won so why should he Ali would have been tired if the ref didn't stop it. He knew Ali was going to lose. Nobody hasn't lost a round, Lyle was winning that round and was not about to get hurt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,348 Posts
i don't think any one saw this fight.
but i have to bring it up.
Diego Dianzo VS P.Ayala
the worst ever i mean from round 1 to round 12
with a few possible 10 - 8 rounds in between.
BTW it was given to P.Ayala
after that fight i wanted to stop watching boxing.
somebody please look this up.
Atlas almost had a hart attack on that one.
Dave.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
I second the Meldrick Taylor-JCChavez robbery by Richard Steele via Don King. Ironically, JCC would later sue Don King for fraud and embezzlement. MeldrickT. sadly never recuperated from the robbery and his career never met its potential.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Am I the only person to notice that once Don King became big in boxing people who didn't suck up to him and made sure all of their money got payed in full fot robbed with outragous decions? Because that happend to Larry Holmes, and Marvin Hagler. They were the first to people to assert themselves against King and get all of their money. King threatend to have Larry's legs broke in a privat meeting they. Larry said he was considering switching promotors and Don decied he would make the threat to have his thugs brake Larry's legs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
bill1234 said:
So what if Lyle didn't fire back, he had the fight won so why should he Ali would have been tired if the ref didn't stop it. He knew Ali was going to lose. Nobody hasn't lost a round, Lyle was winning that round and was not about to get hurt.
Bill-
I'm not agreeing with the stoppage,I'm just saying that he knew who he was fighting and when Ali went to that Shoeshining **** after getting slightly stunned,that it was kind of risky not to hold or fire back or just do something,anything to break the momentum. I mean, Ali was the Star of the show and you know he's going to get breaks,which I don't agree with at all,but it's one of those bull**** things like hometown decisions that go with our sport unfortunately. Hell,I'm still waiting for a Ref to warn Ali for holding behind the head like he did for his entire career without ever being penalized.

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
daveDaboxingfan said:
i don't think any one saw this fight.
but i have to bring it up.
Diego Dianzo VS P.Ayala
the worst ever i mean from round 1 to round 12
with a few possible 10 - 8 rounds in between.
BTW it was given to P.Ayala
after that fight i wanted to stop watching boxing.
somebody please look this up.
Atlas almost had a hart attack on that one.
Dave.

Dave-
It doesn't get much worse than that,and what I hated most was that Paulie had the gall to think he deserved it,he did NOTHING that night. One that does come to mind,and some of the other older guys might remember,is Wilfredo Gomez-Rocky Lockridge,when Gomez didn't even start fighting until we were already beyond the halfway point,but still managed to get the nod from the Judges in a few of those early rounds.

Dave
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So am I. But you know that a ref wouldn't dare say anything. But what I'm getting at is Lyle should have won that fight but didn't. Ali just got to many breaks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
bill1234 said:
So am I. But you know that a ref wouldn't dare say anything. But what I'm getting at is Lyle should have won that fight but didn't. Ali just got to many breaks.

Bill-
Okay,we are on the same page then. I agree that had Lyle been fighting someone not named Muhammid Ali and been in a similar situation,he'd have had plenty of opportunity to clear his head and go on to win a easy decision.

Dave
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess we were on the same page the hole time and didn't know it.:eek:
 
1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Top