Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who had the greatest jab in heavy history?

• Larry Holmes

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Muhammad Ali

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Lennox Lewis

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Joe Louis

• Sonny Liston

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • other

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I say Holmes. But Ali is a very close runner up. PS on the poll it should be heavyweight. :eek:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
lewis ill say because he had more pop in his jab.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tommygunn said:
lewis ill say because he had more pop in his jab.
No he didn't. Holmes knocked a guy out with his jab. Also it wasn't as fast as Holmes or Ali's jab.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
bill we've had this conversation before and the only guy's word you can take is mike tysons and he said lewis.

lewis definatly had pop in his jab than holmes did i will conceade though that holmes had a faster one.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tommygunn said:
bill we've had this conversation before and the only guy's word you can take is mike tysons and he said lewis.

lewis definatly had pop in his jab than holmes did i will conceade though that holmes had a faster one.
Not really because Holmes was way past it and lost about 10% of his jab because he only had 4 weeks to get his jab back in tune after a 2.5 year layoff. Also Lewis did have a great jab, but lets face it, it didn't have the effect that Holmes's had. Look at this picture of Holmes jab in 85 against Spinks, and this is Holmes jab that isn't what it was in 1980:

And here is his jab against McCall in 95:

In the next post I will have a picture of Lewis's jab.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a picture of Holmes jabbing Holyfield:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
the 2 fighters that spring to mind are lewis and ali, holmes did have a good jab but he lived off it thats why people say he had a great jab.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Auctioneer said:
Ali had a better jab than Holmes or Lewis
No he didn't he had a faster one, but it didn't have an effect. Holmes and Ali's jabs are very close though, but I have Holmes a tad ahead becuase he knocked a guy out with a jab, and another down with one. Ali just cut you up with it, when Holmes's cut you up, hurt you, and could knock you down if landed in the right spot.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tommygunn said:
the 2 fighters that spring to mind are lewis and ali, holmes did have a good jab but he lived off it thats why people say he had a great jab.
He KNOCKED A GUY OUT WITH A JAB!!! I don't know why you are intent to say Lewis had a better jab then Holmes, I will show the entire Holmes vs Shavers fight the first one, and the 2nd one. I will also show one of Lewis's fights.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
i like to think of larry as the best of the ordinary heavyweights thats how my fellow experts usualy rate larry to, i put him bellow obviously ali, tyson, louis etc but i rate him slightly higher than paterson, bowe and braddock.

·
Registered
286 Posts
To say that Ali's jab had no effect is absolute bull****!Every fighter that fought against Ali was affected by his jab. Remember the jab sets up other things.Even the "great " Larry Holmes did not always use his jab as a power punch , it was a part of his overall arsenal.Just because he used it one time for a knockout does not mean that that jab was used the same way every time or was thrown everytime for the same effect.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tommygunn said:
i like to think of larry as the best of the ordinary heavyweights thats how my fellow experts usualy rate larry to, i put him bellow obviously ali, tyson, louis etc but i rate him slightly higher than paterson, bowe and braddock.
How could you put him below Tyson or Lennox Lewis??? LArry would have TKO'd Tyson and won by u.d against Lewis.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
bill take your head out larrys ass i know you train at his gym so get him to register and ill tell him what i tell you. yes your underated but no you weren't truly elite. and if he has a problem ill knock his old ass out!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tommygunn said:
bill take your head out larrys ass i know you train at his gym so get him to register and ill tell him what i tell you. yes your underated but no you weren't truly elite. and if he has a problem ill knock his old ass out!!!!
Now you are just senile. Name 3 GOOD reasons Larry was not an elite? And Lewis and Tyson are. Also lets see you get past Muhammad Ali who can't even talk anymore with you understanding him. Lets just say that Larry would flick you and you would cry all the way home.:mad:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
yeah bill, the day i lose to an oap is the day ill finnish.

holmes wasn't great, but he also doesn't get the respect he should as i said i think he's the best of the ordinary hw fighters.

great undeafeated hw dont lose to micheal stinxs but larry did, and dont even try to say larry was past his best because all he spoke about was going for the rocks record then lost on the 48th or 49th fight.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tommygunn said:
yeah bill, the day i lose to an oap is the day ill finnish.

holmes wasn't great, but he also doesn't get the respect he should as i said i think he's the best of the ordinary hw fighters.

great undeafeated hw dont lose to micheal stinxs but larry did, and dont even try to say larry was past his best because all he spoke about was going for the rocks record then lost on the 48th or 49th fight.
Larry was past it after 83, after that he was slightly slower, and he wasn't recovering as fast. Also Larry was robbed against Spinks, so you can't blame Larry for that. I seriously don't know how you can say Tyson was great if he fought a lot of Larry's left overs, also Tyson said it himself, if Larry was in his prime he wouldn't stand a chance. Lennox Lewis... He fought worse opposition than Larry, so I guess he is ordinary too.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
Larry was past it after 83, after that he was slightly slower, and he wasn't recovering as fast. Also Larry was robbed against Spinks, so you can't blame Larry for that. I seriously don't know how you can say Tyson was great if he fought a lot of Larry's left overs, also Tyson said it himself, if Larry was in his prime he wouldn't stand a chance. Lennox Lewis... He fought worse opposition than Larry, so I guess he is ordinary too.
tyson, holmes and lewis lived on bums. but id say vitali klit was as good as any the bums they faced, and holyfeild who lewis schooled.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts