Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 71.4%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And make no mistake about it, It was certainly an exceptionally timed accurate and intentional headbutt, If you go back to the pre-fight interview B-hop talks about how he's gonna force Winky Wright to come forward, Hopkins has got an even better boxing brain than even his most loyal fan would have you believe

G

·
And make no mistake about it, It was certainly an exceptionally timed accurate and intentional headbutt, If you go back to the pre-fight interview B-hop talks about how he's gonna force Winky Wright to come forward, Hopkins has got an even better boxing brain than even his most loyal fan would have you believe
evryone who wants to slate hopkins is already doing it in the "Hopkins is a racist , joe calzaghe says blah blah blah blah" thread.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
This thread asks a good question though. I think the fight would've been a whole lot closer if he didn't have a gash over the eye, might've been a tie IMO. But I don't know if he had enough to pull out a W.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
No. Wright just isn't a 170lber.
I agree with the latter half, but I disagree that Wright wouldn't have won were it not for the gash. That thing was terrible and it was obviously intentional. B-Hop should have had a point deducted for the same reasoning that Pernell Whitaker did in the De La Hoya fight. The excessive clinching should have been penalized severely also.

G

·
Maybe at 160. Winky looked "thick" at 170. I think either way the extra weight would've hampered his performance. Winky never should've taken that fight at anything above 165.

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
Difficult to say. To me Wright is big enough to fight at 175lbs. But I think the gash played a big role in the fight, but looking back at it you will always see the W in Hopkins record and in history people won't really take the gash as much of anything.

One fight I'd love to have seen at around 160-165lbs (never would have happened) is Calzaghe/Wright. I mean Wright can throw a thousand punches, Calzaghe can throw a thousand punches. Winky has a tough defence to break and Calzaghe has a tough attack to stop. It'd be a great fight IMO.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
These guys are two of my favorite fighters but I gotta keep it real. B-Hop was beating him to the punch and countering him cleanly even before the cut. He would have won anyway.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
These guys are two of my favorite fighters but I gotta keep it real. B-Hop was beating him to the punch and countering him cleanly even before the cut. He would have won anyway.
How many points do you think Robert Byrd should have taken away from B-Hop for all of his infractions?

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
B-Hop is subtle with his so called infractions that's why he gets away with it. You can't blame him for using rough house tactics and trying to open that cut even more. Campbell did the same thing against Diaz and noone complained about it so far.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
How many points do you think Robert Byrd should have taken away from B-Hop for all of his infractions?
He gets away with that in every fight, but as Bill said thats because he does it in a very subtle way. Although there wasn't anything subtle about that headbutt, clearly intentional IMO. There was also an instance in Calzaghe-Hopkins when they were in a clinch and Hopkins CLEARLY (it was unmissable, seriously) tries to use head to cause damage.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Wright wouldn't have won IMO. As Tom said he just ain't a 170lb'er. It would have been closer, but only by a couple of rounds, which still would have meant two judges scoring it 115-113 and the other 114-114.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
B-Hop is subtle with his so called infractions that's why he gets away with it. You can't blame him for using rough house tactics and trying to open that cut even more. Campbell did the same thing against Diaz and noone complained about it so far.
If his tactics are so subtle, why is it that people that have watched Hopkins fights with me who know nothing about boxing are up in arms about them? They see them and wonder how the hell he gets away with it, so how do the refs miss them? And I'm not just talking about when he hits on the break on the opposite side of the ref either. The refs just let those things go...sort of outta respect. I think that blows.

Also, likening Campbell's performance againt Diaz to anything Hopkins does is a bit off-base if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
If his tactics are so subtle, why is it that people that have watched Hopkins fights with me who know nothing about boxing are up in arms about them? They see them and wonder how the hell he gets away with it, so how do the refs miss them? And I'm not just talking about when he hits on the break on the opposite side of the ref either. The refs just let those things go...sort of outta respect. I think that blows.

Also, likening Campbell's performance againt Diaz to anything Hopkins does is a bit off-base if you ask me.
Everybody knows he's holding on purpose but it all comes down to how he initiates clinches. If you hold your arms out trying to grab your opponent then it's too obvious and the ref has to take action but if you make it look like you're coming in to throw a punch and you and your opponent get tangled up then there's nothing the ref can do. Either that or he's been paying all these refs and he's nearly broke by now.
I don't think the comparison is off-base. Campbell is a smart veteran like Hopkins. He's more offensive minded but he has less ring generalship. His performance against Diaz is similar to Hopkins performance against Pavlik in many ways.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
this is the fight that made me a fan of Hopkins, everyone was talking about it should've been a tie or some crap like that. Then I went and seen it, and Hopkins clearly was winning even before the gash, and I was a big Wright fan, but Hopkins would've won with or without the gash on Wright.

G

·
this is the fight that made me a fan of Hopkins, everyone was talking about it should've been a tie or some crap like that. Then I went and seen it, and Hopkins clearly was winning even before the gash, and I was a big Wright fan, but Hopkins would've won with or without the gash on Wright.
I agree. I think the cut actually made him more pissed and rose his game abit. Hopkins was always going to win that fight but Wright put up a great effort.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I don't think the comparison is off-base. Campbell is a smart veteran like Hopkins. He's more offensive minded but he has less ring generalship. His performance against Diaz is similar to Hopkins performance against Pavlik in many ways.
I thought you meant it was like Hopkins' performance against Wright.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts