Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Minimal impact on joints...excellent whole body conditioning and lots of fun...
Swimming as the main conditioning utilization for boxing. I tried swimming for the first time today and it was much more fun and challenging than running. I feel that swimming incorporates and conditions the muscles that you would use for boxing which is much more effective than running, since running seems to mainly work the legs and not the upper body as much as swimming can.
Who here swims and how is it working for you when you spar/hit the heavy bag? Boost endurance significently? Compared to running?

·
Registered
841 Posts
After 2 out of my 7 runs a week I swim, usually a mile each time. Yeah it's very low impact and obviously a great way to train your endurance for boxing. What it does is work your accessory muscles such as your rotator cuffs, teres, romboids, etc.(muscles you normally don't put alot of strain on, which is why you become soar afterwards). I wouldn't necessarily say it's better than running, but instead I'd say it's a different kind of feeling. Just don't turn your back on every other means of cardio, still mix it up with treadmill, roadwork, sprints, bleachers, plyometrics, jump rope, etc.:thumbsup:but yeah I noticed a positive difference in my boxing when I started, so keep it up:thumbsup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts