Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who is more likely to pull the upset?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
great thread mate. its a real pickem aswell. i pray its roy. but since im a Bhop fan and because you really cant ever count him out i going to go with him. it really is a great thread though Balistik. i actually think ill sleep on this one. i feel like im writing manny off to easy.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I know most guys here would like to think or should I say hope that Manny Paquiao pulls a miracle, but that is highly doutful, by fight time I think Oscar will have rehydrated to about 10 to 15 lbs over the even shorter Paquiao and while I'm sure Paquiao will give us an inspiring effort it will be his undoing and sooner than later he'll run into a kayo shot... but that aside I have a small suspicion that Bernard Hopkins will pull a surprising and inspiring efford and take Kelly to old philadelphia street school...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I voted for B-hop, i think the other two fights are pretty obvious but you never know with B-hop and his clinching tactics. But im praying Pavlik sends his boring ass into retirement.

G

·
You can never rule Hopkins out. He thrives on being the underdog and maybe he has just enough left in the tank for one last hurrah. Although I'm expecting Pavlik to beat Bernard, this would be the one that wouldn't shock me. It would surprise me, but not shock me.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
great thread mate. its a real pickem aswell. i pray its roy. but since im a Bhop fan and because you really cant ever count him out i going to go with him. it really is a great thread though Balistik. i actually think ill sleep on this one. i feel like im writing manny off to easy.
Thanx man. B-Hop is the more logical choice if you level everything out (size, reach, P4P ranking, age, record...) even though I want Roy and Manny to win.

I know most guys here would like to think or should I say hope that Manny Paquiao pulls a miracle, but that is highly doutful, by fight time I think Oscar will have rehydrated to about 10 to 15 lbs over the even shorter Paquiao and while I'm sure Paquiao will give us an inspiring effort it will be his undoing and sooner than later he'll run into a kayo shot... but that aside I have a small suspicion that Bernard Hopkins will pull a surprising and inspiring efford and take Kelly to old philadelphia street school...:thumbsup:
B-Hop always spoils the party :D. I think Pac will lose, I know he will most likely get beaten but I still have this gut feeling he will come out on top.

Regardless of the doubters, as ive been saying since day 1, Pac WILL win.:D
My heart says you're right.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Thanx man. B-Hop is the more logical choice if you level everything out (size, reach, P4P ranking, age, record...) even though I want Roy and Manny to win.

B-Hop always spoils the party :D. I think Pac will lose, I know he will most likely get beaten but I still have this gut feeling he will come out on top.

My heart says you're right.
My heart will truly fill with hate for a very selfish man if something bad happens to Paquiao...

·
Registered
508 Posts
I honestly reckon roy has a chance, hopefully he can pull it off. You can never count out Hopkins but I think Pavlik will be to much for him but we will have to see. I still think this is his toughest fight yet. I just can't see Pacman doing it as much I'd love him to

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
Jones is too old and slow to beat Calzaghe, his reactions are not there and he dosent hit hard enough to stop Calzaghe doing what ever he wants, Calzaghe will win a wide UD with Jones having no chance

Hopkins is crafty and knows how not to get knocked out, I think he can avoid Pavliks straight shots and survive the fight

Pacman has a shaky chin at best, hes not been stopped with a head shot yet but theres been times he had look vunlerble, and how can you forget his weakness to body shots, i think Oscar Takes him out with a Body head combo

So as you can see i dont even any much chance to win haha, ill go for Hopkins though because i think he will do the best out of the 3, i still cant see him winning though

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I won't be the least bit surprised if Roy Jones comes out on top. I think there's a good chance he could recapture some of his past glory and at least show flashes of his vintage self. He doesn't need to turn back the clock to 1997, because Calzaghe isn't at the top of his game anymore either.

I have never had any doubt as to who would win the Pavlik/Hopkins bout. It's Kelly all the way. It would take some monumental collapse or the worst off night ever for Hopkins to score the upset. Bottom line: Pavlik's best beats Hopkin's best 24/7, 365.

I do believe Pacquaio has a chance since Oscar isn't the Oscar of old and he's always had trouble with small guys. No one knows how Pacquaio will carry the weight or take the punches of a guy who has fought at middleweight, but if anyone can do it, it would be him.

Good thread. You should throw Tarver - Dawson into the mix as well man
If that would have been one of the choices, I would have gone with The Magic Man.

·
Blood Clot Jungle Techno
403 Posts
I think Roy Jones will find it hard to keep out of the way for a full twelve rounds. Calzaghe likes to pressure and i don't know if Roy can with stand the pressure and i think Calzaghe's stamina will be a big factor. I'm going for a Calzaghe win but i'm not 100% on it as Roy can throw punches at speed, his hand speed and accuracy is top notch.

I Think Del a Hoya will beat Pacman and i could see a stopage. I just think Del a Hoya is too big and strong and out of anyone has been in with them all, eg Pernell Whittaker,Ike Quartey, Hector Camacho,Oba Carr etc. Also i think he'll go into the fight after the weigh in 10 pounds or more over which is another problem for Pacman.

I think Bernard Hopkins will make it akward for Kelly Pavelik and make him look bad, he'll grab and hold and do all the tricks he's learnt in his fantastic career. I do however think Pavelik is a great accurate puncher and has tremendous power so i'm very excited with this one.

Out of all i'd be suprised if Hopkins gets stopped, but could see him loosing on a decision. So overall i'm undecided on the two other fights but are fairly certain Oscar will win his!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I gotta go by which of these fighters is in his prime I'll have to go with Pac especially since Oscar is clearly past his best. If it's about who has the size advantage then I'd pick B-Hop. He looks very strong at that weight and I don't know if Pavlik will carry all of his power up there. But then you gotta ask yourself who is the more talented? Roy is by far so even if he's shot the handspeed and power and timing are still there. Now if you combine all these things I gotta go with B-Hop.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts