Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Kermit Cintron

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to seem like a copycat but with shanes recent thread, I'm curious as to who people think the top welterweight is. Max Kellerman has said it best, " Just because he's the lineal champ, doesn't mean he's the best in the divison." Now I'm not a huge fan of Max's, although he's growing on me, but he usually tells it like it is. So Who is it guys? Try to factor in Previous Matchups as well. Lets not just be completely biased, lets use our heads, not our hearts on this one.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Is it about the best welterweight or the top welterweight.

I think the top guy right now is Margarito altho I'm not sure hes the best.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the thread and poll topic justify what I mean. Also the original post explains as well. Best.......

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rank williams, mosley, and cotto as all better than clottey. I think Clottey can possibly beat any of those guys, but I still think the others are better. I actually think overral, those three are better than margarito, even though cotto lost to him, i still view him as "better"

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I rank williams, mosley, and cotto as all better than clottey. I think Clottey can possibly beat any of those guys, but I still think the others are better. I actually think overral, those three are better than margarito, even though cotto lost to him, i still view him as "better"
Theres so much stuff to be settled at 147. that makes it sucha great division.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Margarito based on his win over Cotto who I had considered to be number 1. Williams is second. He would of been first if it wasn't for his lose to Quintana. He's a close second.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On any given night all those guys could be each other, however; to me, the guy with the "best" overall skill set is Shane Mosley.

Margarito and Cotto are great offensive fighters, but their defense is horrid.

Don't sleep on Clottey is a close #2 in my book. Great Fighter with a nice all around skill set. He just lacks the high boxing IQ (ring smarts) of Mosley, imo.

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
This is very close. Margarito undoubtedly leads the division at the moment, but I still believe Cotto & Mosley are the two best Welterweights in terms of skill. Ah.. I've gone for Mosley!

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Im going with Margarito altho Cotto is the better BOXER that sometimes just is not enough. Margarito will win a rematch with Williams that i am sure of and so im going with Margarito as the BEST ww in the world.

G

·
Definitely Margarito at the minute but I haven't ruled Cotto out for good. I wanna see Williams fight again before I make a call on how good he actually is/isn't.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Tough to say for sure. I'd give serious consideration to Paul Williams, but he is moving up to 160 and as far as I know, has zero intention of returning to 147, so the books appear to be closed on that chapter of his career. From there, I guess it's between Margarito and Cotto, with the edge going to Margarito since he won their head to head matchup. Mosley still has claims, but he's fighting at 154 against Mayorga and who knows if he'll ever back back down at 147. Since the fights are there, one can assume he'd have one last hurrah as a welterweight. Cotto can reclaim his place with a good showing against a legit guy early next year. He didn't lose his standing with me just because he was beaten by Margarito the Machine. I still feel as though Cotto would have beaten any other welterweight on that night, and yes, that includes F**** M********* J*.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Tough to say for sure. I'd give serious consideration to Paul Williams, but he is moving up to 160 and as far as I know, has zero intention of returning to 147, so the books appear to be closed on that chapter of his career. From there, I guess it's between Margarito and Cotto, with the edge going to Margarito since he won their head to head matchup. Mosley still has claims, but he's fighting at 154 against Mayorga and who knows if he'll ever back back down at 147. Since the fights are there, one can assume he'd have one last hurrah as a welterweight. Cotto can reclaim his place with a good showing against a legit guy early next year. He didn't lose his standing with me just because he was beaten by Margarito the Machine. I still feel as though Cotto would have beaten any other welterweight on that night, and yes, that includes F**** M********* J*.
Nate, Williams will fight at middleweight but he plans to defend his belt or figth at 147 after that. I'm not sure how longer he will be able to make 147.

Same thing for Shane Mosley, the money is at 147 for him, and he said he would like a fight with Margarito after hes done with Ricardo.

How about Clottey? Dont you think he would be nightmare for any welterweight? He would give a tough time to any welterweight around.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Nate, Williams will fight at middleweight but he plans to defend his belt or figth at 147 after that. I'm not sure how longer he will be able to make 147.

Same thing for Shane Mosley, the money is at 147 for him, and he said he would like a fight with Margarito after hes done with Ricardo.

How about Clottey? Dont you think he would be nightmare for any welterweight? He would give a tough time to any welterweight around.
I've been hearing from notable journalists like Doug Fischer and Steve Kim that Williams is absolutely done at 147 and has no intention to defend his belt, but who really knows besides him and his confidants.

As for Clottey, he can't be forgotten about (even though I didn't mention him). Definitely a serious threat to anyone in the division.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I've been hearing from notable journalists like Doug Fischer and Steve Kim that Williams is absolutely done at 147 and has no intention to defend his belt, but who really knows besides him and his confidants.

As for Clottey, he can't be forgotten about (even though I didn't mention him). Definitely a serious threat to anyone in the division.
You know what Nate? I hope you're right. I dont think making 147 will do Williams any good.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd love to see williams margarito II just so Wililams can silence all the people who believe for some reason margarito will undoubtly win the second time around because after 15 years of boxing, he's changed completely in 1 year.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Margarito at the moment. The man at 147 retired, therefore it is pretty logical that the winner of Margarito/Cotto would become the man. I think Williams beats him if they fight again though.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Were not really talking about the man, or who's ranked number 1. Where talking about the best welterweight in your opinion. Sounds like its Wililams? I can't justify someone saying margarito is best when he's lost to williams.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts