Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who is the best current lightweight?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Guzman is probabley the best overall 135 pounder, but pac is the best in the world bar none right now imo. I gotta go with Pac for that reason. In a head to head matchup, its a tough one for me. I dont know if Guzman could hurt pac, and I don't know if pac could hurt guzman.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
If Marquez can beat casamayor, I want to see Pac/Marquez III for the 135 championship. That would beat all three of their fights would be for the lineal ( I THINK ) championship in 3 seperate division. Amazing.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Do you really believe that gerald? Not dissing your choice, but how would you justify it? I dont think he would beat guzman or diaz.
He beat Campbell. He ruined Katsidis. And I think he's going beat Marquez. And would beat Pacquiao and Diaz if they fought. Guzman is certainly the most skilled of them all. But he ain't done shiit at Lightweight. He's unproven. You can't be the best in a division on talent alone. Things will be clearer after this weekend.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
He beat Campbell. He ruined Katsidis. And I think he's going beat Marquez. And would beat Pacquiao and Diaz if they fought. Guzman is certainly the most skilled of them all. But he ain't done shiit at Lightweight. He's unproven. You can't be the best in a division on talent alone. Things will be clearer after this weekend.
I think you would be right if he were in his prime. I think he is past it and Marquez will beat him.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Manny is p4p best fighter on the list, i believe Diaz is the best LW but right now i cant justify it but im sure that he will prove me right in the future so as of right now im going with Manny pac.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Campbell based on his win over Diaz

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
The PacMan without a doubt, because he is P4P #1 and I do believe he would beat any other fighter on this list, even though he's only had one fight at 135 and it wasn't a true Litmus test since it was David Diaz. I think Pacquiao could seriously challenge anyone at 140 as well. Diaz is very tough and once had unified the division, but then he got thoroughly dominated by Nate Campbell, so his claims are out the window. Campbell, on the other hand, as great as he looked in beating Diaz, has been very inconsistent and was handed his first loss by Joel Casamayor. If Campbell beats Guzman, he will have a legit claim to be #1 since he holds the belts and beat a guy that is undefeated and everyone expects big things from in the form of Joan Guzman, even though this is his first time at this weight. Casamayor may be the lineal champ recognized by the Ring Magazine, but because of his fight against Jose Armando Santa Cruz, he can't be looked upon as the best. While he won the decision, everyone and their mother's mother knew he didn't deserve it. He showed some stern stuff against Michael Katsidis, but struggled with him and was down on the scorecards at the time he got his TKO. Juan Diaz totally handled the same Katsidis that gave Casamayor fits. Guzman can't make a case since he has never fought in the division. A win over Campbell gets him in the conversation, though. Juan Manuel Marquez, despite all his prior accomplishments, has done nothing at 135, so this is new territory for him, but if he gets past Casamayor, it's fair to take into account that he had a draw with and a razor thin decision loss to P4P best and my pick for top lightweight, Pacquiao.

If things go as I expect them to this weekend, Nate Campbell should fight Juan Manuel Marquez after they both win and in that fight, the Ring title as well as the WBA, IBF, and WBO titles would be at stake. The winner should take on Manny Pacquaio, win or lose after his mega-fight with De La Hoya. Obviously, a win is preferable for the significance of this bout. Campbell/Pacquiao would be very interesting and we all know what we're gonna get from Pacquiao/Marquez in what would be the rubber match of their epic trilogy with more on the line than ever before.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts