·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welterweight has done little to defend title in strong class

By John Wolfshohl (Contact)
Originally published 06:05 a.m., March 18, 2008
Updated 06:05 a.m., March 18, 2008

Some time over the past few weeks, the most exciting weight class in boxing experienced a major shakeup, and it seems to have made little more than a ripple in the pugilistic world.

Maybe that's because the event in question wasn't the result of a knockout-inducing left hook to the jaw or a liver-quivering body shot. It's attrition that caused this upheaval, but the result is the same: Miguel Cotto is now the top dog in a talent-packed welterweight division.

Oh, sure, Cotto has yet to be officially crowned king of 147-pounders, but let it be known that thanks to Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s recent actions and inactions, Cotto has taken over the top spot.

Previous welterweight boss Mayweather, if you haven't heard, has all but abdicated his throne thanks to his determination to chase the biggest paydays rather than the most important fights in the weight class he briefly ruled.

Mayweather, who seized his welterweight titles with wins over the mercurial Zab Judah and talent-challenged but rugged Carlos Baldomir in 2006, has not faced a legitimate welterweight in close to a year and a half and evidently has no plans to do so anytime soon. Since dismantling Baldomir in November 2006, "Pretty Boy" has fought and won twice -- once against Oscar De la Hoya well above the welterweight limit last May, and most recently his flashy 10th-round TKO of English junior welterweight superstar Ricky Hatton in December.

So, in roughly 15 months as welterweight champion, Mayweather has fought one guy who hasn't fought at 147-pounds in years (De La Hoya) and another who never should have fought at welterweight in the first place (Hatton).

And at this writing, the only boxing match being seriously discussed for Mayweather is a rematch with De La Hoya in the fall. If that fight occurs, that'll make it almost two years since "Pretty Boy" has climbed through the ropes to face a legitimate welterweight contender, of which there are many.

And in a somewhat surprising twist, the next time Mayweather steps into a ring for money it won't be to demonstrate his abundant boxing skills, but to take part in the biggest event of the wrestling year when he faces Paul "Big Show" Wright at Wrestlemania on March 30.

Certainly it's hard to begrudge someone of trying to make the most money out of their lot in life -- especially in the realm of pro sports, where an athlete's peak earning years are relatively few. That said, if Mayweather wants to be rich beyond what sanity should probably allow, fine. If he wants to travel up and down the boxing weight classes to chase the biggest paydays rather than creating a lasting legacy in a weight class deep with tough fighters, wonderful.

At this rate, Mayweather can call himself wealthy beyond belief. He can call himself the top fighter, pound for pound, in the world. What he has no right to call himself is the champion of boxing's most talented division, the welterweights.

Sure, Mayweather may continue to hold an alphabet title and the more-prestigious Ring Magazine title, but unbiased fans know the truth: Mayweather may well be the best boxer on the planet, but he's nowhere near the most accomplished welterweight in the fight game. That honor belongs to Cotto, who currently holds wins over three of The Ring's Top 6 welters. Mayweather holds a win over one of the Top 6 (Judah) and isn't likely to face another anytime this year.

In theory, titles both honorary and tangible should only be won and lost in the ring. But in reality, if you don't get in the ring to defend those titles against top competition at least once in a while, you should lose them. To be the welterweight champ, you should fight the best welterweights out there. Heck, just fight any real welterweights. Mayweather isn't doing that.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. can call himself the greatest fighter ever, even if many don't believe it. He can call himself the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world today -- and he's probably right. But, what he can't do is call himself the best welterweight out there, because he hasn't earned it in the ring. Miguel Cotto has.

I dont know who this guy is but he's talking sense here

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
The guys calling for the best to fight the best, nothing wrong with that IMO.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
yeah, yeah, yeah.....cotto's the champ, so he don't need mayweather. they don't even need to fight being john wolfshohl has backed up the collective thoughts of team mhn(may-hatin nation). cotto can just go about his business knowing that mayweather cowered like a little [email protected] at the thought of fighting him. he was always scared of cotto and we all should know it. i mean, what do you think was the REAL reason for floyd leaving arum? it wasn't because he was at odds with him! it was because he also promoted cotto and margarito(the other fighter floyd fears more than fear itself)! if they were all under the same promotional umbrella then floyd would have less excuses to use! the fights would've been too easy to make!

MY GOD.....THAT'S IT! IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
It seems like the guy's missed the entire point of the Ring Championship policy. I have no problems calling for a Cotto Mayweather match, and even William Detloff of the ring has said he thinks cotto could very well beat Money May, but you don't start saying that Cotto is legitimately the best just because he beat some other contenders. Boxing skill and talent is proved in the ring, and titles are won and lost there, so until Cotto fights May, he won't be the best.

It reminds me of what people (me included) were saying about lightweight a few months ago, "Juan Diaz is the true champ","Casa hasn't fought anyone good for ages so he's no longer the true no. 1". Only results matter, opinions (and therefore ratings) aren't really worth jack.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
It seems like the guy's missed the entire point of the Ring Championship policy. I have no problems calling for a Cotto Mayweather match, and even William Detloff of the ring has said he thinks cotto could very well beat Money May, but you don't start saying that Cotto is legitimately the best just because he beat some other contenders. Boxing skill and talent is proved in the ring, and titles are won and lost there, so until Cotto fights May, he won't be the best.

It reminds me of what people (me included) were saying about lightweight a few months ago, "Juan Diaz is the true champ","Casa hasn't fought anyone good for ages so he's no longer the true no. 1". Only results matter, opinions (and therefore ratings) aren't really worth jack.
I agree with everything you said :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I don't consider myself a Mayweather fan. He's a great fighter. No doubt. But I'm not a fan. I favor Miguel Cotto style of fighting more. I'm a Cotto fan. But saying Mayweather is ducking Cotto is silly. Last time i checked Cotto's calender is pretty full. He has Gomez first, followed by the Margarito/Cintron winner. Mayweather has a date with De La Hoya. They can't just cancel there fights and fight. It don't work that way. I'm giving Mayweather the benefit of the doubt that he will fight Cotto in 2009. If he doesn't and takes lesser fights, than maybe there is something to this ducking talk. But until than, it's pretty stupid right now.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Yeah, plus I think Cotto could use the experience. Can you imagine if they would have put him in there with Mayweather back when Mayweather made his first appearance at 140lbs.

At the Gatti fight, Cotto and Hatton both sat ringside to "challange" Floyd at 140lbs. After they saw what Mayweather's A' game looked like, it seemed like Arum and Warren were a little hesitant to let them in. DON'T getme wrong, though! I'm a Cotto fan, but please. He's no where near Floyd status.

YouTube - Hatton & Cotto "All Shook Up"

·
8,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Kinda hard for Cotto to fight Mayweather isnt it when Mayweather is busy taking part in a pro wrestling charade and then a rematch with Oscar which means NOTHING. By then Mayweather will have not defended his welterweight title against a true welterweight for over 2 yrs
Either his fights Cotto his # or he should be stripped

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yeah, plus I think Cotto could use the experience. Can you imagine if they would have put him in there with Mayweather back when Mayweather made his first appearance at 140lbs.

At the Gatti fight, Cotto and Hatton both sat ringside to "challange" Floyd at 140lbs. After they saw what Mayweather's A' game looked like, it seemed like Arum and Warren were a little hesitant to let them in. DON'T getme wrong, though! I'm a Cotto fan, but please. He's no where near Floyd status.

I'm not some blind fan. I like Cotto better than Mayweather. But I would favor Mayweather if they fought. All I'm saying is, I don't think Mayweather is ducking Cotto right now. But if Cotto beats Gomez and Margarito than he certainly deserves a fight with the number 1 p4p fighter

·
Registered
472 Posts
Everyone under the sun is calling for a cotto-mayweather fight (inclduing me) but i do think mayweather will beat cotto WHEN it happens...and floyd will beat him convincingly

·
8,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everyone under the sun is calling for a cotto-mayweather fight (inclduing me) but i do think mayweather will beat cotto WHEN it happens...and floyd will beat him convincingly
LOL Everyone but Mayweather himself is calling for it.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
The MNHG (May Nut Huggers Gang) really make me laugh. I read that article twice just to make sure, and it does not say a damn thing about Floyd ducking Cotto! All it says is Cotto to the king of WWs, the best division in boxing. Floyd has not fought a WW in well over a year so he can't be the best of the WWs. It doesn't mean he is ducking him or Cotto is better.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
the guy made some intersting points and valid ones at that. i hope if Floyd plans on ending his career in 2009 he fights 3 fights that year and all against welterweights. that is until the last fight where he drops down to face the undisputed light welterweight chapion, ricky hatton. :D

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
This isnt a bad read at all.He makes some rational points like I've pointed before: - Since Baldomir he hasnt fought a single welterweight, while Cotto beat Urkal, Judah and Mosley in '07. OK! I think that until this point we cant argue that Mayweather needs to give a 147'er a shot, and he needs to fight a top welterweight yes. - I mean, many ppl could say he doesnt NEED to fight anybody, well, if we are talking about his place at the HOF no doubt he doesnt need, he has done enough to deserve his spot in there as the dominant boxer in the mid's 2000. But if we are talking about his pursue for a greater legacy, as an outstanding all-time great(a top atg)then YES he needs that fight, to clean a division, to clean the names haunting him that might be remembered (cotto in this case, margy w be bias at this point).

Also, in this read, theres something I cant agree, wich is stating Cotto as the number one welterweight, because he is not. He sure did more than floyd at 147 last year, but that doesnt give him the n1 because Floyd won it when he beat Baldy, and will lose it when he loses.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I'm not some blind fan. I like Cotto better than Mayweather. But I would favor Mayweather if they fought. All I'm saying is, I don't think Mayweather is ducking Cotto right now. But if Cotto beats Gomez and Margarito than he certainly deserves a fight with the number 1 p4p fighter
I actaually feel that Cotto deserves a shot now. I don't think that beating Gomez means anything but a tune up for a Kermit or Margarito. Cotto has well earned his shot at Mayweather with his win over Mosely and having a KO victory over a fellow Welterweight title holder, Quintana.

I love Cotto! I've been a fan of his since I first watched him fight (Ray Martinez). Although, I'm like you. I can't blind myself. Cotto has little chance of beating Mayweather.

·
Registered
130 Posts

I know Cotto isn't near Floyd as in popularity terms. But I do honestly believe that if he did fight Floyd, Cotto would win. :cool:

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
I actaually feel that Cotto deserves a shot now. I don't think that beating Gomez means anything but a tune up for a Kermit or Margarito. Cotto has well earned his shot at Mayweather with his win over Mosely and having a KO victory over a fellow Welterweight title holder, Quintana.

I love Cotto! I've been a fan of his since I first watched him fight (Ray Martinez). Although, I'm like you. I can't blind myself. Cotto has little chance of beating Mayweather.
i feel the same way(and, i like cotto also), but all this ducking and avoiding crap is just plain dumb. people just need to wait til '09 to see the match up. people act like floyd is really fighting the big show. he's on a break just like he said he was taking after beating hatton. he's just participating in this stunt while on vacation. floyd's not avoiding anyone.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts