Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who would be the best trainer for Amir Khan?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The British Lightweight Amir Khan fired his trainer Oliver Harrison and is switching to an American trainer. The latest report says his camp is leaning towards Buddy McGirt. Personally, I think he needs someone to help him on his defense since he has a questionable chin. What do you think?

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Ive heard he's already hired Buddy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I heard buddy was the front runner, but i'd prefer roach. I don't think he needs the mayweathers as they'd make him a bit too defensive.

I'm still not sure why he left harrison, but i guess he's just had his head turned. One thing's for sure and that is he's not gonna be able to train in bolton anymore, and it'll be interesting to see how he copes without the home comforts. I think it might be too early for a move like this.

·
Registered
119 Posts
BBC sport have just said that dean powell will be his new trainer. I have no idea who he is.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
He hired McGirt.

By Mark Vester

Oliver Harrison, the recently fired trainer of unbeaten lightweight Amir Khan, spoke with the Bolton Evening News and appeared stunned that he was fired because Khan wanted to hire an American trainer. Harrison has worked with Khan (17-0) since the young fighter turned pro. Buddy McGirt is the frontrunner to become Khan's new trainer with an official announcement coming down in the next 24-hours.

"We were just around the corner from a world title, which we would have won," Harrison said. "I thought we got on so well on a personal basis as well as professional, but I haven't heard anything from Amir since the Bolton fight. I have just read what has happened in the papers."

"It just doesn't add up. I don't understand why he has gone to an American trainer. I trained him for all 17 of his fights, which he won with 13 knockdowns. He improved with every fight."

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
That said McGirt is the frontrunner but nobody is hired. Dean Powell will be training Khan for his fight in June apparently, thats the bold dude who was in Calzaghe's corner for those who don't know.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Dean will be with Amir for one fight, he's a good trainer who has worked with the likes of Benn, Eubank and Calzaghe in the past.

Im pretty sure Buddy is going to be his long term choice.

Id prefer he worked with Roger or Sr.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I heard buddy was the front runner, but i'd prefer roach. I don't think he needs the mayweathers as they'd make him a bit too defensive.

I'm still not sure why he left harrison, but i guess he's just had his head turned. One thing's for sure and that is he's not gonna be able to train in bolton anymore, and it'll be interesting to see how he copes without the home comforts. I think it might be too early for a move like this.
I disagree, I think his offense is built in and natural. So going with a Mayweather wouldnt make him too defensive (for the first couple of fights it might though). If he is going to be BIG TIME like they think he is going too be it's better he crosses now and not when he's 36. Buddy McCurse has too many fighters and I don't really see any improvement with any of the fighters he handles.

BBC sport have just said that dean powell will be his new trainer. I have no idea who he is.
It'll be for one fight only while his team is deciding on which trainer is the best choice.

Teddy Atlas:)
No superstar in the making or fighter with a semi big ego would have Atlas as their trainer. Although his boxing i.q is almost second to none he commands too much of the spotlight.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This could be a bad move for khan, if he goes for a more offensive Trainer e.g Mcgirt, who while enhancing a fighter offensively, often does little for them defensively case in point GATTI.

If Khan were to go to Roger Mayweather, then he could be making a shrewd move as, the key area Khan needs to improve on if he is to become a genuine world class fighter is DEFENCE and we all know Roger Mayweather likes to make defence the foundation for his fighters to work from.

On Another note If Khan's old trainer Harrison found out he was fired by reading it in a newspaper that is a disgrace and Khan should remember what happened to Prince Hamed, when he dumped Brendan Ingle and was never quite the same fighter afterwards.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Any news about this yet? I've heard nothing and it's two weeks after the Gomez fight. What's going on? :dunno:

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Click the link it looks like Roach is all but signed.
I know I looked who was online. Saw you were looking at this thread, so I did the same. Then I replied as you put the link up. I've just seen it. My opinion is above :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha good :thumbsup: Roach wouldn't be a bad choice actually, he's a good trainer. My only worry is Roach trains a lot of fighters, and he may not make time for Khan :thumbsdown:
He'll make time for him Roach has alot of fighters, Khan would move into 2nd behind Manny, as far as attention. Khan is a rising possible superstar with loads of talent and Golden Boy size purses in his future, NO WAY he neglects him.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Roach often flies out to manilla to train manny, and is flying out to meet Amir, not vice versa. i think this will be a key element in the decision. Amir will like tio maintain a lot of training at home, near his family and a local mosque, i should imagine, then go out to America a few weeks prior to the fights. Roach is a good choice for this reason. An american trainer investing time to train in Britain will also gain a bit of American interest, as opposed to a British fighter training on American shores.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts