Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, IMO it is similar to the Marciano-Tyson situation. IMO Marciano hit harder than Louis, but Louis was the more complete puncher. IMO it is the same with Marciano and Tyson. Marciano is the harder hitter, but Tyson is the more complete puncher.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
bill, why is every post marciano related? i think marciano hit harder than louis, i think tyson hit harder than both and i think tyson was way more of a complete puncher than both.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its not. I just thought this would be interesting. I guess not you. But IMO Louis was a more complete puncher than Tyson. He was just as fast in his prime, and as far as close range power, he is at the top of the list. He had tons of snap on his punches, and was also extremely accurate.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
no its interesting, i was just wondering. i always thought louis stood straight up and donw a little to much to get full leverage on his punches and still think tyson was more of a complete puncher than almost all fighters. He had ever punch in his arsenal and knew how to correctly throw it from any angle.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He didn't have a hookercut. Beleive it or not, Foreman had every punch in his arsenal, and could throw it decent if he wanted to. Louis, I'm not sure how, got a ton of leverage on his punches. I think Ive figured out how, because Ive been practicing. The way you throw, is sort of weird. Before you throw it, it feels like your making a muscle, but your not, and you throw it, and it always seems to have a real good, jolting effect.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Louis was the better fighter, but Marciano would beat him because his style was all wrong for Louis.

·
All-Time Great
158 Posts
bill1234 said:
Louis was the better fighter, but Marciano would beat him because his style was all wrong for Louis.
It took Marciano 8 rounds to beat a completely finished Louis; a Louis many believe was winning the fight before the stoppage; a Louis who couldn't pull the trigger on his devestating right anymore. Prime on prime Marciano doesn't make it 7 rounds against Louis: He takes such a brutal beating he's rescued by the referee: Another victim of Louis' remorselessly accurate sledgehammer fists.

Poet

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
poet682006 said:
It took Marciano 8 rounds to beat a completely finished Louis; a Louis many believe was winning the fight before the stoppage; a Louis who couldn't pull the trigger on his devestating right anymore. Prime on prime Marciano doesn't make it 7 rounds against Louis: He takes such a brutal beating he's rescued by the referee: Another victim of Louis' remorselessly accurate sledgehammer fists.

Poet
Marciano wasn't pulling the trigger him self. And those who thought Louis was winning need to watch the fight again. Marciano finally pulled the trigger in the 8th, and look what happened. Sparring partners said Marciano could hurt you more with 1 punch than Louis could with 4.

·
All-Time Great
158 Posts
bill1234 said:
Marciano wasn't pulling the trigger him self. And those who thought Louis was winning need to watch the fight again. Marciano finally pulled the trigger in the 8th, and look what happened. Sparring partners said Marciano could hurt you more with 1 punch than Louis could with 4.
Sparring partners who's checks were signed by Marciano. Think about it! More to the point, ask Paulino Uzcaden how much Louis could hurt you with one punch: It was a Louis right that crushed Paulino's cheekbone. Ask Tony Galento as well: As much as Tony weighed it was a Louis left hook that literally lifted him off the canvas. Interestingly enough, Nat Fleischer believed Marciano's power was overrated. While I don't that far, I do believe Louis to be one of the three hardest punchers ever in the Heavyweight division. The only reason I believe a Marciano matchup ends in a ref stoppage instead of a straight KO is Marciano's chin: My experience is a great chin will practically always withstand a great punch (see Tex Cobb vs Earnie Shavers).

Poet

1 - 12 of 12 Posts