Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who was the hardest hitting Heavyweight?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RoccoMarciano said:
Marciano.. he could hit very hard with both hands.

Other: Jack Dempsey
I had Marciano 3rd after Shavers and Foreman. Shavers probably had a 1800 PSI right hand. Foreman was just so strong he could knock you off your feet as he did with Frazier, and Marciano could knock you cold with either hand.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
out of them boxers it has to be marciano. although jsck dempsey hit very hard and so did carlos maussa

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
max baer hit damn hard, he aint my #1 choice but he could hit. he killed 2 men in the ring.

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
1,000 Posts
I used to think Earnie Shavers... but now I'm not too sure! He could never put away some of the greats... HE ANNIHILATED AN AGING AND PAST HIS PRIME/OUT OF FORM KEN NORTON IN THE 1ST ROUND IN THE YEAR 1979 (I think) but my vote goes to Marciano!!!

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
White Tyson said:
I used to think Earnie Shavers... but now I'm not too sure! He could never put away some of the greats... HE ANNIHILATED AN AGING AND PAST HIS PRIME/OUT OF FORM KEN NORTON IN THE 1ST ROUND IN THE YEAR 1979 (I think) but my vote goes to Marciano!!!
Shavers couldn't put them away because they were so skilled, not because he didn't hit hard. He dropped Ali and Holmes, Foreman refused to fight him because of his power, and Norton was past it, but it would have happened the same way even if Norton was in his prime

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
1,000 Posts
bill1234 said:
Shavers couldn't put them away because they were so skilled, not because he didn't hit hard. He dropped Ali and Holmes, Foreman refused to fight him because of his power, and Norton was past it, but it would have happened the same way even if Norton was in his prime
You reckon Shavers would still beat a Prime Time Ken Norton? :)

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
White Tyson said:
You reckon Shavers would still beat a Prime Time Ken Norton? :)
Yup, look what happened to NOrton against Foreman... Shavers hit harder than Foreman

·
Registered
1 Posts
Based on the replies this far i know all of you aer white. Geesh this is 2009 could you please stop mentioning Rocky Marciano and Jack Dempsey with heavyweights when neight were heavyweights? Even comparing Marcinao to other 180 pounders his punching power is lacking. It took him 9 round to knock out a 40 year old Archie Moore. Just in case you people didnt know Moore started his career at middleweight and stayed there for 10 years.

Archie Moore was knocked down numerous times and knocked out a few times early by other middleweights in his prime yet it took Marciano 9 rounds to do it? Give me a break, Marciano is a joke and it only still mentioned because he is white. If any black fighter would of fought the bums Marciano fought they would of been ripped apart but Marciano gets praised for fighting them. Archie Moore, Jersey Joe Walcott and Joe Louis was pushing 40 and Charles was done as a top level fighter as well.

Charles and Moore both stared their careers as middleweights. Walcott was only 190 so he wasn't a true heavyweight either and Joe Louis chin was so bad that Billy Conn a another 160 to 170 pounder almost knocked him out. Conn had only 11 knockouts in his 66 wins which means he couldnt punch worth a damn yet he almost knocked Louis out. Could you imagine a prime Foreman being hurt by lets say Chris Byrd?

Foreman never ducked Shavers either so I don't know where you got that from. There was never any huge uproar for Foreman to fight the china chinned Shavers. If Quarry and Ron Standers could ice him in 1 round then Foreman would as well. Shavers knocking down Larry Holmes proves what? Renaldo Snipes did it with one pucnh as well.

Shavers best knockouts came against a washed up Ken Norton and and "Young" Jimmy Young. Besides those 2 people i can't think of any world class fighters in their primes he beat. Shavers fought a unmotivated fat out of shape Ali and hit him with every punch he had and couldn't knock him down. If Foreman would of fought that same Ali he could of knocked him out. Frazier knocked Ali down with one punch. Henry Cooper did as well.

Even a old Foreman hit harder than Tyson, Holyfield has stated this various times and since he fought them both i will take his word for it. So Foreman is this hardest punching known heavyweight.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Based on the replies this far i know all of you aer white. Geesh this is 2009 could you please stop mentioning Rocky Marciano and Jack Dempsey with heavyweights when neight were heavyweights? Even comparing Marcinao to other 180 pounders his punching power is lacking. It took him 9 round to knock out a 40 year old Archie Moore. Just in case you people didnt know Moore started his career at middleweight and stayed there for 10 years.

Archie Moore was knocked down numerous times and knocked out a few times early by other middleweights in his prime yet it took Marciano 9 rounds to do it? Give me a break, Marciano is a joke and it only still mentioned because he is white. If any black fighter would of fought the bums Marciano fought they would of been ripped apart but Marciano gets praised for fighting them. Archie Moore, Jersey Joe Walcott and Joe Louis was pushing 40 and Charles was done as a top level fighter as well.

Charles and Moore both stared their careers as middleweights. Walcott was only 190 so he wasn't a true heavyweight either and Joe Louis chin was so bad that Billy Conn a another 160 to 170 pounder almost knocked him out. Conn had only 11 knockouts in his 66 wins which means he couldnt punch worth a damn yet he almost knocked Louis out. Could you imagine a prime Foreman being hurt by lets say Chris Byrd?

Foreman never ducked Shavers either so I don't know where you got that from. There was never any huge uproar for Foreman to fight the china chinned Shavers. If Quarry and Ron Standers could ice him in 1 round then Foreman would as well. Shavers knocking down Larry Holmes proves what? Renaldo Snipes did it with one pucnh as well.

Shavers best knockouts came against a washed up Ken Norton and and "Young" Jimmy Young. Besides those 2 people i can't think of any world class fighters in their primes he beat. Shavers fought a unmotivated fat out of shape Ali and hit him with every punch he had and couldn't knock him down. If Foreman would of fought that same Ali he could of knocked him out. Frazier knocked Ali down with one punch. Henry Cooper did as well.

Even a old Foreman hit harder than Tyson, Holyfield has stated this various times and since he fought them both i will take his word for it. So Foreman is this hardest punching known heavyweight.
Wow...this post has soooooooooooooooo many holes and falsehoods in it. I'm not even going to start to break it down today.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Imo its George Foreman, he was a monster in his prime and he was still knocking fools out at 45.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imo its George Foreman, he was a monster in his prime and he was still knocking fools out at 45.
That's because he's a great fighter. I think too many people who fought both Shavers and Foreman say Shavers. Everyone who has faced Shavers said he was the hardest hitter they've ever faced. Ali, Holmes, Lyle, Norton, Cobb, Tillis, etc.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Foreman hit the hardest, but Shavers however hit the most deceptively out of the lot, hence making his punches seem harder. Punches feel harder when you don't see them coming. Shavers just hid his punches better than Foreman. 45 year old Foreman KOed Moorer with like...4 punches worth of punishment, and 2 were jabs. Moorer was in general a very resilent fighter who could get off the canvas from hard shots. He did this against Cooper and Holyfield numerous times. But, he couldn't get up from Big George. Quite amazing really.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Most of the boxing people that I know, including many ex-boxers, say that Shavers hit the hardest. If he had a better chin and endurance, he would have been as Great as any of them. BUT he didn't!

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shavers never dropped Ali.
It was ruled a slip, but Earnie had him on the ground.

http://pro.corbis.com/popup/Enlargement.aspx?mediauids={116b0493-68bf-47a9-af11-144cc6639658}|{ffffffff-ffff-ffff-ffff-ffffffffffff}&qsPageNo=1&fdid=&Area=Search&TotalCount=12&CurrentPos=4&WinID={116b0493-68bf-47a9-af11-144cc6639658}

http://pro.corbis.com/popup/Enlargement.aspx?mediauids={12927c4b-b3fe-4a0b-bc6c-0b73afbff9e0}|{ffffffff-ffff-ffff-ffff-ffffffffffff}&qsPageNo=1&fdid=&Area=Search&TotalCount=12&CurrentPos=12&WinID={12927c4b-b3fe-4a0b-bc6c-0b73afbff9e0}

1 - 20 of 30 Posts