Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who's #1 P4P?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Fire of the Dragon
241 Posts
at this moment in time id say calzaghe, he showed with his demolition of jones that no one from 160-175 can beat him and that is a big and traditionaly strong area of boxing!

the ones who have an impartial view on joe may agree although its a very fine line. we all know who the haters are so i wont take note of them here if they bring on a big backlash in the thread

and im not that stupid, obviously if manny beats de la hoya he becomes the firm p4p champ and no one could argue with that. but if he loses, joe's win over jones, however shot he may be makes him the p4p champ imo unless he retires

G

·
When DLH beats Pacquiao my top two P4P will be:

1. Marquez
2. Calzaghe

I'd have it exactly the same now because Marquez beat Pacquiao IMO and he's only #1 by default.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I haven't really been able to make my mind up on this one since Mayweather retired, mainly for the same reasons as Ulster. How can Pac be p4p number 1 when he was absolutely outclassed for 11 rounds in the first Marquez fight, and then imo beaten in the second fight. It's a tough one really. Calzaghe definitely has to be in the mix as well.

Tbh I think it is to unclear for anyone to be undisputed p4p number 1 at the moment.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
Pacquiao..David Diaz, Juan Manuel Marquez,Marco Antonio Barrera.

Calzaghe..RJJ, Hopkins, Kessler.

Both have fought good opposition last 3 fights but I still put Manny up there and once he beats DLH itll be unanimous.

G

·
If we're just taking about Manny and Joe then personally I'd have Calzaghe ahead of him for the simple reason that Manny lost 2 fights ago and picked up a belt of a bum in his last fight. If people scored the Hopkins fight against Joe or the Marquez fight to Pacquiao then Joe obviously can't be above him.

But going by what it says on their records Pacquiao has to be #1. Beating a guy nowhere near the P4P list doesn't do much for Calzaghe in my opinion.

G

·
Before the Jones fight I would've said Paq but after that declassing Calzaghe did to Roy, I'm going to bump him up. Especially because Pacquaio is really reaching with his next fight.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
Before the Jones fight I would've said Paq but after that declassing Calzaghe did to Roy, I'm going to bump him up. Especially because Pacquaio is really reaching with his next fight.

That should have nothing to do with it. We're talking about right now, not in a month and because you think hes going to lose.

G

·

That should have nothing to do with it. We're talking about right now, not in a month and becausse you think hes going to lose.
Oh, well in that case.............................................I'm still going with Calzaghe! Like I said in the first part of my post, he was just very impressive agsinst Roy. :rolleyes:

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
Cool, I wasnt impressed with Jones performance and I have seen him at his best so a win over him didnt really do anything for me to move Cal above Pac considering the wars Pac been in.

G

·
The Calzaghe hate on this forum is amazing to me. It's more prevelant here than anywhere else I can find. I think some of the credit for the beatdown on Saturday has to go to Calzaghe. Most people in this forum would rather disrespect Jones than give any respect to Joe. Let it be known, I'm not a big Calzaghe fan but that doesn't mean I'm going to call him anything less than great because that's how I honestly see it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
to me at the moment there aint a definative p4p no1 there is 4 candidates
joe calzaghe
juan manuel marquez
manny pacquiao
bernard hopkins
at the moment calzaghe just edges it but in a months time it can all change but it wont as oscar wins

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
I am NOT a big Jones or Joe fan but when these Cal fans come talking smack about how Joe is the greatest SMW-LHW blablablah when he was stuck over there for 10 yrs before he decided everyone was washed up and he would come over and start fighting them now. I just cant give the man Full props for that, yes he beat Jones and Hopkins, and Kessler but I dont like how he fights, slapping is not my style. He could be champ , he could be P4P #1, I Just dont like him, nor respect his style of fighting. to each his own. call it what you want.

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
at this moment in time id say calzaghe, he showed with his demolition of jones that no one from 160-175 can beat him and that is a big and traditionaly strong area of boxing!

the ones who have an impartial view on joe may agree although its a very fine line. we all know who the haters are so i wont take note of them here if they bring on a big backlash in the thread

and im not that stupid, obviously if manny beats de la hoya he becomes the firm p4p champ and no one could argue with that. but if he loses, joe's win over jones, however shot he may be makes him the p4p champ imo unless he retires
Calzaghe's win hurts Cal's legacy more than helps it. Especially after all the degrading he did to RJ in his autobiography. On fanboys would think that a win over a shot RJ makes him #1 P4P in the world...

LOL Calzaghe beats a really shot Jones who unlike what many here said had no chance of beating Calzaghe and that puts him on the top.........Bullsht

1.Pacman
2.Marquez
3.Hopkins
4.Calzaghe
:laugh: Exactly. B-Hop beats Pav and Calzaghe beats RJ hmmm...who deserves to be ranked higher? Since the decision could have gone either way, I'm saying that B-Hop should be ranked higher but Calzaghe is their by default. The man has yet to be defeated so in a way he doesn't deserve to be ranked lower...by again default. Hopkins has a case to be ranked about Cal though. I definitely agree with that P4P list...3 fearless fighters with success followed by a fraud...who's trying to be the best in the world through the easiest possible way...and that's just being real.

The Calzaghe hate on this forum is amazing to me. It's more prevelant here than anywhere else I can find. I think some of the credit for the beatdown on Saturday has to go to Calzaghe. Most people in this forum would rather disrespect Jones than give any respect to Joe. Let it be known, I'm not a big Calzaghe fan but that doesn't mean I'm going to call him anything less than great because that's how I honestly see it.
The things you call "hate" are things we call "truth". Some fans can take while others cannot. Calzaghe was the one getting beat down until RJ slowly started to fade away. Again why did both "old" fighters beat down on Cal in the early parts of the fight? The fact that Calzaghe has great stamina and the fact that RJ didn't have anything to do it with it? Face it...RJ was shot and Calzaghe let loose on a human punching bag...end of story.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts