Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who's This Era's Sugar Ray Robinson?

1 - 20 of 322 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There are many great fighters in our time (1990's-present)but who has displayed the traits in becoming the best P4P fighter of our time. When I mean P4P, I mean this fighter should display dominance in more than one or two divisions (During SRR's time there were no jr. welterweight or super middleweight). This man had to display pure excellence, having many classic battles/bouts, and represent boxing to the fullest. This boxer must fight in the trenches containing constant competition. I remember in SRR's book, he stated that he would fight anyone at anytime...HE DUCKED NO ONE, at times he fought 3 times in one month! This thread is by no means comparing the fighters of our time to Sugar Ray Robinson because we all know that they don't compare. This saying who is the closest fighter in our era that has similar traits to Robinson. With that being said, who do you beleive is the P4P best in our era and why?

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RJ is an easy pick, but I gotta go the other way and choose Oscar De La Hoya. The man has fought all the top fighters within reach of his weight class. The only guy he hasn't fought was RJ. He dominated multiple divisions, mainly the welterweight. I would say RJ, but DLH has fought far more top fighters and than anyone else in our era and has won majority of them. I can easily say that DLH has ducked no one (some would say Cotto however LOL).

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
I was going to answer none because no one can rally come close to fighting everyone and dominating the way SRR did. It's this eras SRR so it's a more diluted version and the closest boxer to that is De La Hoya. He fought a bunch of top champions, top contenders, even in size mismatches (Hopkins), he is also the top money maker like SRR was, the only detering factor is that his level in skill and talent wasnt the best of his era, but he was at the top or close to it for a ton of years as a p4p.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I was going to answer none because no one can rally come close to fighting everyone and dominating the way SRR did. It's this eras SRR so it's a more diluted version and the closest boxer to that is De La Hoya. He fought a bunch of top champions, top contenders, even in size mismatches (Hopkins), he is also the top money maker like SRR was, the only detering factor is that his level in skill and talent wasnt the best of his era, but he was at the top or close to it for a ton of years as a p4p.
Great call Hector. I say Oscar as well

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good call, I didn't mean for it to sound that way.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Agreed with that. On one hand you could say RJJ, because of his dominance and the fact that he moved through weights and still maintained his brilliance. But there are gaps in his resume which put a question mark over that. Then there is Oscar who has the resume, but doesn't really have the dominance that SRR had. You could make solid arguments for either IMO.

G

·
Oscar is the guy that stands out on that list. He was robbed against Trinidad so he's really only been beat by 3 guys. Very close decisions against Mosley who is a HOF, Hopkins who is a HOF and proved to be too big for Oscar, and a close decision to P4P #1 Mayweather. In his prime he beats Mayweather. Oscar's resume is unreal.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I think Mayweather is better skilled than Jones from an all round point of view.
Hmmmm interesting but I have to disagree. Roy's offense is better than Floyd's I think we can all agree there. His defense has always been basic (covers up and draws back in straight lines) but his counterpunching abilities and reflexes made up for it. In his prime he fought off the ropes better than Floyd IMO. They are both tremendeously skilled but Roy is more explosive. If they were the same weight prime vs prime he beats Floyd 9 times out of 10.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Its either Roy or FLoy imo altho they both dont come close to SRR.

And another thing, who and why put James Toney in there :S That guy is so overrated that it makes me sick.

G

·
Hmmmm interesting but I have to disagree. Roy's offense is better than Floyd's I think we can all agree there. His defense has always been basic (covers up and draws back in straight lines) but his counterpunching abilities and reflexes made up for it. In his prime he fought off the ropes better than Floyd IMO. They are both tremendeously skilled but Roy is more explosive. If they were the same weight prime vs prime he beats Floyd 9 times out of 10.
I think Roy relied alot on his reflexes. I agree that offensively Roy is better but I think Mayweather is the more complete boxer. Roy is unique but he makes alot of mistakes that he wouldn't get away with if he didn't have super-natural reflexes. I don't like the way Mayweather fights these days but his boxing skills are outstanding.

·
Registered
472 Posts
i would have to say roy or floyd as well. Both are great fighters...if jones didnt choke those couple of times he would of gone down as a top 3 all time great hands down! Jones should have retired after the ruiz fight. floyd should fight cotto and a couple ofther big names, and if he wins them he still has a chance to go down as one of the best, if not the best of this generation.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I dont ever remember Oscar as the number 1 p4p fighter in the world. Or the best fighter of this generation. Which is what I think of what I think of SRR. This is an easy choice, Roy Jones.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The P4P list back in SRR time is not even the same as the list was when RJ was on it. There were no alphabet titles, there were no intermediate weight classes (light middleweight, jr welterweight, super middleweight), it was about what you've done, who you've beaten, and not about who you are. What has RJ done in boxing that De La Hoya didn't do. On top of that, DLH's resume is a whole lot better than RJ's, he's fought all the top fighters near his weight class, ranging from Chavez to Mosley/Mayweather to B-Hop. RJ can't say that neither. RJ is no doubt an excellent fighter, but the only traits that he shows that is similar to SRR is his ability to move up in weight and be successful, and his quick lightning reflexes. DLH on the other hand displays the heart, the fearless mentallity, and the hunger to fight the best.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
There are many great fighters in our time (1990's-present)but who has displayed the traits in becoming the best P4P fighter of our time. When I mean P4P, I mean this fighter should display dominance in more than one or two divisions (During SRR's time there were no jr. welterweight or super middleweight). This man had to display pure excellence, having many classic battles/bouts, and represent boxing to the fullest. This boxer must fight in the trenches containing constant competition. I remember in SRR's book, he stated that he would fight anyone at anytime...HE DUCKED NO ONE, at times he fought 3 times in one month! This thread is by no means comparing the fighters of our time to Sugar Ray Robinson because we all know that they don't compare. This saying who is the closest fighter in our era that has similar traits to Robinson. With that being said, who do you beleive is the P4P best in our era and why?

IMHO There will never be another boxer to compare with the real Sugar Ray Mr Robinson but there are several that may be considered as coming quite close. Roy Jones Jr and Floyd Mayweather for example.
Their downfall is they have the reputation of not fighting the best oppsition and picking opponents that were less risk easy $$$
Manny Paquaio is a fantastic FIGHTER he stands out from the others ducking no one and always giving 100%
But my choice for the nearest to sugar in this era is Oscar delaHoya
he fought all comers big and small, sure he lost a few but he didnt avoid anyone. My choice Oscar delaHoya

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Ive just had a thought Can you imagine any one of those boxers on the list would fight a fighter like Jake La Motta 5 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!! as well as all the other greats Basilio, Fullmer etc. Thats why Sugar stands out alone

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
IMHO There will never be another boxer to compare with the real Sugar Ray Mr Robinson but there are several that may be considered as coming quite close. Roy Jones Jr and Floyd Mayweather for example.
Their downfall is they have the reputation of not fighting the best oppsition and picking opponents that were less risk easy $$$
Manny Paquaio is a fantastic FIGHTER he stands out from the others ducking no one and always giving 100%
he fought all comers big and small, sure he lost a few but he didnt avoid anyone. My choice Oscar delaHoya
I didn't expect to read that from you. You can be pretty accurate when you're not hating.

G

·
I dont ever remember Oscar as the number 1 p4p fighter in the world. Or the best fighter of this generation. Which is what I think of what I think of SRR. This is an easy choice, Roy Jones.
He was P4P #1 after he beat Whitaker.

It'll be a very long time before we see another SRR, that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 322 Posts