Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who should Antonio Margarito face next?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The man many consider as the best welterweight and most feared man in the sport didn’t have the opportunity to begin his steller career with cherry picked opposition. Antonio “Tijuana Tornado” Margarito began his career at the age of fifteen with a four round undisputed decision over winless Jose Trujillo in 1994. Over the next five fights Margarito would see good fortune in the ring until taking his first loss to one loss Victor Lozoya. Over Margarito’s next six fights he would drop two by decision. He then went on a twenty one fight win streak with fifteen coming by way of knockout before dropping a razor close technical decision to Daniel Santos at 154lbs for the WBO light middleweight strap.

Unlike many of Margarito’s peers in the elementary stages of his career he had no big time promoter, no lengthy amateur background, and no private sponsorship. He was simply a tough kid from the mean streets of Tijuana, Bala California, Mexico with a purpose of survival. While a great motivator that may have been it doesn’t guarantee skill and success in the ring. Just ask Edison Miranda who has suffered knock out losses in two of his last four fights.

Had Margarito had these advantages it is very conceivable that he would be an undefeated fighter today. Not only by having better technical skills but also the luxury of picking and choosing opponents as many fighter’s managers do for them today. Paul Williams an obvious bad choice should have been avoided for a bigger fight and payday last year against Miguel Cotto. While Margarito is respected for taking that fight it was a bad business decision as it cost him a shot at Cotto in ’07 and a year of “recovery” time.

Nonetheless Margarito is where he stood be standing with the elite of the welterweight division. The only fight that makes sense for him from a fan’s prospective is attempt to avenge his latest lost to Williams. However I doubt that’s a fight his team will demand and for good reason. Margarito has better long term options with fighters such as Shane Mosley, the Clottey v. Judah winner or a rematch with Miguel Cotto. All fights he would be favored in and stand to gain more financially as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
he wanted to keep the belt like a true champ instead of run for money. marg is technically not the best but he's a tough fighter for sure.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
He's a man's man and he's basically only got two losses and both were close. He got headbutted badly in both fights with Santos, luckily the first one was before four rounds, but the second was a really tight fight in the tenth. He finished so much better than he started and he was really taking it to Williams down the stretch. Without a good start, that was still an extremely close fight. Imagine what happens if he gets off running.

G

·
Williams had an inflated record, he'd fought nobody before Margarito. I just think he underestimated him. He can't complain about the defeat though. He was unlucky in the Santos fight and the first 3 loses where before he turned 20 I think. He's definitely better than his record suggests.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Williams best him fair and square

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Margarito has blemishes in his record and thats it. People can argue he started too slow in that fight with Williams, so therefore he could still be undefeated. wrong, we could say the same thing about Cotto comming with the wrong game plan, or Clottey hurting his hands. A loss is a loss and its there.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Margarito has blemishes in his record and thats it. People can argue he started too slow in that fight with Williams, so therefore he could still be undefeated. wrong, we could say the same thing about Cotto comming with the wrong game plan, or Clottey hurting his hands. A loss is a loss and its there.
And that ladies and gentlemen is the bottom line.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
because stone cold said so?

P.s. I agree. a loss is a loss. But i also agree that his record makes him seem worse then he is.
Actually, if you look at all the great fighters of this generation, They had right around 5-6 loses. Usually at the end of their careers, margy just happen to get his at the beginning of his. If I were margarito. I'd retire and just let it be, I dont think things could get any better for him ( unless he beat floyd, which come on...... ). I'm happy for him, even though I dont like him much as a boxer.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
because stone cold said so?

P.s. I agree. a loss is a loss. But i also agree that his record makes him seem worse then he is.
I dont give a damn what his record says Antonio Margagarito is the #1 welterweight in the world end of story. He kicked the butt of the guy ya'll said would destroy him. The Tijuana Tornado Rules!!!!!!!!

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Actually, if you look at all the great fighters of this generation, They had right around 5-6 loses. Usually at the end of their careers, margy just happen to get his at the beginning of his. If I were margarito. I'd retire and just let it be, I dont think things could get any better for him ( unless he beat floyd, which come on...... ). I'm happy for him, even though I dont like him much as a boxer.
I agree with ya on one thing Lance, Tony Margarito will never beat Fraud Mayfeather. Know why??? Mayfeather doesnt posess the cajonnes to get in the ring with him. Anyway stick to topic Mayweather has retired he's no longer a topic on a boxing forum

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I agree with ya on one thing Lance, Tony Margarito will never beat Fraud Mayfeather. Know why??? Mayfeather doesnt posess the cajonnes to get in the ring with him. Anyway stick to topic Mayweather has retired he's no longer a topic on a boxing forum
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
I cant count the Santos loss as a legit one, when it was stopped on cuts Margarito was winning the rounds. He was coming on strong late just like he done against Cotto. If they had seen the final bell ive no doubt Margarito would have won rounds 10,11,12 and got the UD.

Mayweather wont fight him, we've knew this since 05.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I cant count the Santos loss as a legit one, when it was stopped on cuts Margarito was winning the rounds. He was coming on strong late just like he done against Cotto. If they had seen the final bell ive no doubt Margarito would have won rounds 10,11,12 and got the UD.

Mayweather wont fight him, we've knew this since 05.
I agree. Margarito was clearly coming on when the fight was stopped. I think he would of pulled it out if it would of gone 12

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
How was he cut? I can't remember. I think it was an accidental headbutt, but I can't remember for sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts