Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie when it comes to boxing but I have started to love watching the sport. There is one thing that I find strange though. Rather often some boxers seems to punch themself in the face or on the nose. Not very hard but still.
Why do they do that? Is it to improve their breathing through the nose in some way or what?

(If you want an example to what I mean, watch Thomas Hearns as he fights Leonard the second time in 89, at the end of round seven (20-10 seconds left))

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
well there are many boxers who do this, and many diferent ways so i will go through the strides with you. If a boxer wipes at his face, it usually means he is checking for blood. Some fights hit their face before a fight to get themselves pumped up or to somewhat scare the oppoenent. Some do it to loosen up their jaw and to get them a little more relaxed adn used to the absue. ali used to touch the top of his forehead with his gloves for a reason i am unknown of, but alot of boxers do that as well, almost like they are wiping the sweat off their face to keep it from not getting in their eyes. But to answer your question to the best of my knowledge, a boxer hits himself in the face because he is taunting the other guy, and asking for more, ala ricardo mayorga against trinidad, its usually somethign someone does when they are hurt and getting beat badly.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
(don't laugh at me :mad: ) I sometimes hit my cheeks once my headgear is on before I spar to make sure the headgear won't move around. Also, so I get used to getting hit. I don't do it very hard, I pretty much just tap my self.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I would laugh at you Bill. I don't mean that to sound condescending, but I always laugh at guys who do that.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I thought they kind of tapped there nose area when it was abit uncomfortable. JMM was doing it alot in the Pacquiao fight if i remember right.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
That is fine. I am talking about the guys who pound their faces as if to say, "I'm so tough."
Oh, those types of guys. I think they are just to excited to get hit, so they hit them selves.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to TysonJones for the reply, and to you other guys as well for yours. Very much appriciated! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
TysonJones said:
or they have lost to many brain cells. like you bill :cheeky4:
So you are letting a punch drunk kid beat you in these arguments? Huh, wow, you better hit the books.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
TysonJones said:
well im sorry bill but it look slike i just got all the credit. :cheeky4:
LOL. Figures, I do all of the work and you get the credit. I think they feel sorry for you. :cheeky4:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts