Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(as detailed in ‘Sorcery at Caesars’)

Hagler’s lineage provided him magnificent boxing genes – that much was certain. He was graced with long arms and shoulders as wide as his ambition. More remarkable was his temporalis – a muscle that runs across the skull at both temples. Most temporalis are a quarter-inch thick, but both of Hagler’s were one inch, a phenomenon that astounded his physician when it was discovered during a routine exam in 1983. Hagler’s temporalis acted as a natural helmet and almost certainly helped him absorb blows. But he was sensitive to the notion of freakish physicality, perhaps from a racial perspective, and bridled at questions about his temporalis.

·
Registered
262 Posts
There are exersizes you can do to improve your punch taking ability. But I say that's a waste of time. Someone with a good defence doesn't get caught very often anyhow.

We all know that hooks are usually the knockout blows, right? Well it's shameful how people who call themselves professionals are leaving themselves open for counter hooks and getting KO'd as they come in.

Here's a tip. If you're going to lunge in with one of your own hooks (hatton style,) keep the guard up with the other arm, for the love of god.. I see people getting knocked out with counter hooks all the time because they fail to defend themselves properly as they come in with a haymaker.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
There are exersizes you can do to improve your punch taking ability. But I say that's a waste of time. Someone with a good defence doesn't get caught very often anyhow.

We all know that hooks are the usually knockout blows, right? Well it's shameful how people who call themselves professionals are leaving themselves open for counter hooks and getting KO'd as they come in.

Here's a tip. If you're going to lunge in with one of your own hooks (hatton style,) keep the guard up with the other arm, for the love of god.. I see people getting knocked out with counter hooks all the time because they fail to defend themselves properly as they come in with a haymaker.
This is boxing 101, but even the best makes mistakes. Talking is the easy part, its easy to talk a good plan, its another thing to execute. Have you ever been in the ring?

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts

Hagler’s lineage provided him magnificent boxing genes – that much was certain. He was graced with long arms and shoulders as wide as his ambition. More remarkable was his temporalis – a muscle that runs across the skull at both temples. Most temporalis are a quarter-inch thick, but both of Hagler’s were one inch, a phenomenon that astounded his physician when it was discovered during a routine exam in 1983. Hagler’s temporalis acted as a natural helmet and almost certainly helped him absorb blows. But he was sensitive to the notion of freakish physicality, perhaps from a racial perspective, and bridled at questions about his temporalis.
Interesting:thumbsup:

We all know that hooks are the usually knockout blows, right? Well it's shameful how people who call themselves professionals are leaving themselves open for counter hooks and getting KO'd as they come in.

What are they? No matter how good or great someones defense is they will get hit cleanly at one time or another. It's very important to have a good-great chin in boxing.

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is boxing 101, but even the best makes mistakes. Talking is the easy part, its easy to talk a good plan, its another thing to execute. Have you ever been in the ring?
It's because people don't keep a level head when in the ring. People get too exited or too desperate and end subsidizing their defence in favour of added pressure. These people end up getting caught.

A perfect example of perfect defence/offencive balance is Roy Jones Jr. in his prime.

And I've been in the ring, of course.

·
Registered
262 Posts
What are they? No matter how good or great someones defense is they will get hit cleanly at one time or another. It's very important to have a good-great chin in boxing.
Not entirely true. Mayweather has never been caught with knockout power.

And when I say knockout power, I mean a full blow to the head by a strong welterweight.

·
Registered
41 Posts

lol that man had a skull of steal.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts

And when I say knockout power, I mean a full blow to the head by a strong welterweight.
I'm trying to find out what are the exercises that help your punch taking abilities since you said there are (and I wonder why Khan doesn't try them).

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
He wasn't always a Welterweight. Corley caught him with a KO blow when he was Junior WW.
I was gonna say that to Mr. unstoppable
------------------------------------------------------------------

Exercises to take a punch are there, and basically they help you get used to take a punch, but to help your punch resistance is another thing.

Theres a boxing trainer here that says the trapezius muscles helps absorbing a punch, he says holyfield is the better example of it. But I have my doubts.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm trying to find out what are the exercises that help your punch taking abilities since you said there are (and I wonder why Khan doesn't try them).
Haha you got him by the nads, keep asking the question Hehe.

As for Kahn are insane did you not see how hard he was training his punch resistance against Prescott?

Kahn practices his punch resistence every fight man haha

I hear he is currently working with walls and anvils :)

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts

Wrong.

He wasn't always a Welterweight. Corley caught him with a KO blow when he was Junior WW.
Owned.

It's because people don't keep a level head when in the ring. People get too exited or too desperate and end subsidizing their defence in favour of added pressure. These people end up getting caught.

A perfect example of perfect defence/offencive balance is Roy Jones Jr. in his prime.

And I've been in the ring, of course.
Robert Downey Jr. "What do you mean, you people"

You want to learn how to take a punch...Bernard Hopkins and James Toney are the right guys to ask.
They were both born with granite chins.:thumbsup:

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Takes more than a granite chin to not be knocked out from a head shot. You either have to learn to ride punches, never get hit, or fight in weight divisions lower than what you naturally are. Some fighters do as much of the 3 as possible. If you don't meet any of these criteria and have a long enough career...you will eventually be knocked out.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Takes more than a granite chin to not be knocked out from a head shot. You either have to learn to ride punches, never get hit, or fight in weight divisions lower than what you naturally are. Some fighters do as much of the 3 as possible. If you don't meet any of these criteria and have a long enough career...you will eventually be knocked out.
some people have styles that help them brush off a punch. not always the most exciting however. also it helps if you have a good chin and are not too weight drained

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
if it's different than riding the punch you'll have to explain it to me or show me a video so i can understand what you mean
brushing off and riding would be the same i assume. when a boxer gets hit but moves in a way that the full power of the punch is not given because of the angle and redirection

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Agreed, but it takes more than great defense to take hard shots too. A granite chin comes in handy. Ones Chin and Defense go hand in hand.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
brushing off and riding would be the same i assume. when a boxer gets hit but moves in a way that the full power of the punch is not given because of the angle and redirection
Yea they the same.

Agreed, but it takes more than great defense to take hard shots too. A granite chin comes in handy. Ones Chin and Defense go hand in hand.
Indeed it does. Some fighters would be nowhere without it...Margarito right at the top of that list.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
definitely. people with good chins can go down but if they have a good defense it is almost impossible for them to get knocked out. it's like having to a wall with 1 line of bricks and then a wall with 2 bricks thick

1 - 20 of 32 Posts