Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Why Holmes and Foreman lasted so long

3K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  bill1234 
#1 ·
George Foreman, and Larry Holmes, lasted so long because well they were good, but it helped that the heavyweight division wasn't the greatest. Foreman fought till he was 48years old. Foremans final record was 76 wins 5 lost 68 Knock Outs. George got robbed in his last fight, against Shannon Briggs. Larry Holmes fought till he was 52 years old. His final record was 69 wins 6 lost (He got robbed in Spinks 1 and 2, he got robbed really bad in the rematch) 44 Knock Outs. If he wasn't robbed he would be 71 wins 4 lost 44 Knock Outs. Larry won won 10 round decion over Butterbean. That just shows that the heavyweight devision wasn't very good for two men in there 50's going around and beating everyone up. The only person that beat both Holmes and Foreman was Holfield. But Foreman and Holmes were way past there primes. Holmes lost the 12round decion, Foreman lost a 12 round decion. Homes lost a close hard fought fight with Olivar Mcall in 1995. Now most people can't even fight past 40 years of age. Hopkins retired when he was 41 which is pretty good for the matter that his skills didn't noticably decline. Roy Jones Jr is 38 and is still winning. James Toney is 39 or 40. So all of people that had some sorof quality to them and will probably be in the Hall of Fame are getting old, but still winning accept for Hopkins he's retired. But any way thats why Foreman and Holmes lasted so long. What do you think?:cool:

#3 ·
bill1234 said:
George Foreman, and Larry Holmes, lasted so long because well they were good, but it helped that the heavyweight division wasn't the greatest. Foreman fought till he was 55years old. Foremans final record was 76 wins 5 lost 68 Knock Outs. George got robbed in his last fight, against Shannon Briggs. Larry Holmes fought till he was 52 years old. His final record was 69 wins 6 lost (He got robbed in Spinks 1 and 2, he got robbed really bad in the rematch) 44 Knock Outs. If he wasn't robbed he would be 71 wins 4 lost 44 Knock Outs. Larry won won 10 round decion over Butterbean. That just shows that the heavyweight devision wasn't very good for two men in there 50's going around and beating everyone up. The only person that beat both Holmes and Foreman was Holfield. But Foreman and Holmes were way past there primes. Holmes lost the 12round decion, Foreman lost a 12 round decion. Homes lost a close hard fought fight with Olivar Mcall in 1995. Now most people can't even fight past 40 years of age. Hopkins retired when he was 41 which is pretty good for the matter that his skills didn't noticably decline. Roy Jones Jr is 43 and is still winning. James Toney is 39 or 40. So all of people that had some sorof quality to them and will probably be in the Hall of Fame are getting old, but still winning accept for Hopkins he's retired. But any way thats why Foreman and Holmes lasted so long. What do you think?:cool:
roy jones is 38 not 43.

#4 ·
the reason i think foreman lasted so long was because he never lost any of that devastating power of his, plus the fact george's fights were carefuly picked on his return, he lost to holyfeild and never fought tyson, bowe or lewis. laarry holmes was diffrent and he had an alround good game, but larrys last shot came when he was 38 and he was never a contender after tyson dismantled him. i give him credit though for comming back and beating buterbean at the age of 52 plus the obvious reason he was still fighting competitivly at that age is he had one of the best and prominant jabs in hw history.

#6 ·
tommygunn said:
the reason i think foreman lasted so long was because he never lost any of that devastating power of his, plus the fact george's fights were carefuly picked on his return, he lost to holyfeild and never fought tyson, bowe or lewis. laarry holmes was diffrent and he had an alround good game, but larrys last shot came when he was 38 and he was never a contender after tyson dismantled him. i give him credit though for comming back and beating buterbean at the age of 52 plus the obvious reason he was still fighting competitivly at that age is he had one of the best and prominant jabs in hw history.
No, Holmes last title shot was with Oliver McCall for the WBC title, he lost a split decision by 1 point. Both Holmes and Foreman gave Holyfield a run for his money. Holmes cut Holyfield.

#7 ·
bill1234 said:
No, Holmes last title shot was with Oliver McCall for the WBC title, he lost a split decision by 1 point. Both Holmes and Foreman gave Holyfield a run for his money. Holmes cut Holyfield.
Actually his last was for the IBO Heavyweight Title against Brian Nielsen in 1997, when he lost a split decision. That is if you don't count the Legends of Boxing Heavyweight Title which he fought won in 1999 & 2000.

I think we talked about this before, I wish we had just one Champiuon in each Division like it use to be.

#8 ·
hhascup said:
Actually his last was for the IBO Heavyweight Title against Brian Nielsen in 1997, when he lost a split decision. That is if you don't count the Legends of Boxing Heavyweight Title which he fought won in 1999 & 2000.

I think we talked about this before, I wish we had just one Champiuon in each Division like it use to be.
I read more than once that the decision should have gone to Holmes when he fought Neilson. Dane Brian Neilson was a tough guy at one point or another.

#9 ·
hhascup said:

IBO = I Be Overweight, and a big wind sucker that tires after two rounds :laugh:

Yep there definitely needs to be only one title belt in each division. If there was, Valuev wouldn't be the one wearing it.

#10 ·
It is a shame that Foreman refused to fight Holmes. Holmes was going to fight Foreman after the Jimmy Young fight no matter what, then FOreman retired. Then in the early 90's Holmes tried again and Foreman ignored him. So Foreman was obviously afraid of Holmes. Foreman ducked Shavers and Tyson too. Foreman was a duck, but a guy that may have ducked his share of opposition, but he sure could fight.

#12 ·
The Auctioneer said:
Big George worked hard to stay in shape and have stamina in his second career. He also worked on his defense and ofcourse used his expeirence to win crucial rounds.This helped extend his second wind which was much better than Holmes.
Are you kidding me? You are saying GEORGE FOREMAN had better stamina than LARRY HOLMES!?!?!?!?!? That is rediculas, Foreman was tired after 5 rounds, Holmes started showing minor signs of fatigue after 13 in his prime, and after 10 in his comeback.

#14 ·
RoccoMarciano said:
Yep, that huge midsection on Big George certainly proves he was in great shape for his second career :laugh:

George never had great stamina, but he did have one heck of a punch... although it did look a little weak in that Moorer KO :cheeky4:
I know it did, I don't know how Moorer didn't get up, the shot was clean yeah, but it wasn't even something that should stumble you. Moorer did have a faulty chin though. (imagine me shrugging)

#16 ·
RoccoMarciano said:
Heck a 1/4 power 50 year old Larry Holme's jab had more power than the punch that KOed Moorer. :cheeky4:
I know, it was a simple 1,2, and it KO'd him!!!! I mean really Holmes gets hit with Shavers best right and possibly the most flush and powerful right ever thrown in the history of boxing and he gets up on 5!!!! Yet Moorer can't handle a piddly one two??? That is pathetic.:cheeky4:

#17 ·
bill1234 said:
I know, it was a simple 1,2, and it KO'd him!!!! I mean really Holmes gets hit with Shavers best right and possibly the most flush and powerful right ever thrown in the history of boxing and he gets up on 5!!!! Yet Moorer can't handle a piddly one two??? That is pathetic.:cheeky4:
I really think Moorer took a dive in that fight for whatever reason. Everybody seen it, and it wasn't a KO blow.

I love Foreman BTW, but I still think the fight with Moorer was "off". :cheeky4:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.