Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some very good points that were made here.

By Kenny Rushby: Ok, let me make this clear from the start - I'm a Brit, and would LOVE to see Calzaghe win. I have NO love for B-Hop or his evocative comments, which I believe go beyond mere 'mind-games' into the plain disgraceful at times.

But unfortunately I can see Hopkins winning this one. And here's why:

Joe Calzaghe has been a champion for many years, totally undefeated. He possesses lightening handspeed, accuracy, workrate, a good chin (see the 4th round v Kessler for example), a top trainer (his father) and excellent ring-smarts. He'll have the crowd on his side, and boasts 32 KO's from 44 fights.

But breaking this down, for all his handspeed and accurate shots, they lack any real power, and most of the time 'slap' fairly harmlessly - for example, Peter Manfredo Jr., a fighter nowhere near the level of Calzaghe, took countless shots without reply - and was clearly not hurt at all. He punched Jeff Lacy non-stop for 12 rounds, as he could not knock him out. Even Contender Sakio Bika took him the distance.

This brings me to my second point - only 2 of the 32 KO's were actual knockouts, one in 1995 and one in 1997 - the rest are TKO's, stopped mainly due to a barrage of fast punches without reply. So out of 44 fights, he's knocked out 2 people. He's also never fought anyone with the class of Hopkins - Kessler was a good fighter, and if he was more aggressive, I believe he could have stopped Joe in the 4th or 7th rounds. Calzaghe is very fit, and will throw punches in bunches all night long - if the fight goes the distance, I think he'll win, of all the 12 decisions he's won only one has ever been split.

And TKO's are not without respect obviously, but it's a statistic worth noting I'm sure you'll agree.

Bernard Hopkins has had a rather eventful life. I've read before that during his 4 or so years in prison as a young man he was USA Penitentiary Boxing Champ 3 years in a row. I doubt there's many 'tune-up' or 'protected' fights in there.

He also has 32 KO's from 48 wins, but he has 7 actual KO's -3 1/2 times more than Calzaghe's knock out rate. Of his 4 losses, he has never been knocked out, and they were against Roy Jones Jr. and a hungry Jermain Taylor. He also lost his first fight.

Simply put, Calzaghe will not stop him.

My friends point to the fact he's 43. So what. Lets not forget, just 4 years ago at 39 he KO'd Oscar De La Hoya to unify all the belts. He's a multi-World Champion, who has also held the honarary Number One P4P best fighter in the world by Ring magazine, suceeded only by Floyd Mayweather.

He handed Felix Trinidad his first defeat in a brutal KO, he's beaten Winky Wright and Tarver in his last fights - his resume is outstanding, his class in the ring is without question, and I can't see him passing up this opportunity to show the world what he can do.

So, in summary, I would love Calzaghe to win, I will be rooting for Calzaghe, even though I will lose a fair amount of money to my friends, but I just think B-Hop will be too hot for JC to handle, especially in the US.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Just the fact that you think b-hop will win should be enough for everyone to go with Calz :D:D haha nah im just playing with you, but i do think Hopkins stands a chance but i still think Calz will beat him.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didnt write that article but I do think that Hopkins will win.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Hopkins is going to get a boxing clinic. It's going to be hilarious to see it, too. After the fight when the wide UD is announced I want him to say "I got schooled by a white boy."

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
He would never say that haha, I think he'd rather respond with a Joe is a great champion and blah and I didnt stick to my game plan...

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
He would never say that haha, I think he'd rather respond with a Joe is a great champion and blah and I didnt stick to my game plan...
MMM, mmm! Humble pie tastes good!

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
As good as Hopkins is, I dont think he will be able to deal with Calzaghe and beat him. Calzaghe is younger, faster, and throws way more punches than Hopkins, and once both man can take a punch this fight will probably go the distance, and Joe will most likely win a decision due his workrate and excitment he brings( yes, like Emmanuel Steward pointed, his upper body movement and footwork create excitment and make him look goodm wich will help him winning rounds)

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Calzaghe wins rounds based on his showboating too. The only way I can see him losing is by dropping his hands and getting caught. Then again i can see him dropping his hands and then pouncing on B-Hop.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hopkins is going to get a boxing clinic. It's going to be hilarious to see it, too. After the fight when the wide UD is announced I want him to say "I got schooled by a white boy."
Are you serious??? He is a boxing master no one will ever give him a boxing lesson or clinic. Age doesnt matter in this fight. Hopkins is ageless but Calzaghe isnt that much younger than him. Hopkins will make Calzaghe fight his type of fight and also Hopkins will fight dirty. He'll pull out whatever tricks in the book that he needs to win and he will win.

·
Registered
119 Posts
By this articles argument then Kessler should have stopped calzaghe as he has 18 ACTUAL KOs. I think it's someone looking for any reason to say that Hopkins will win. Plus that fact that Hopkins has only ever lost by decision still plays into Joe's hands as he's more a boxer than a puncher and seeing as hopkins losses have come against boxers with quick hands and feet then that suggests that calzaghe will have success. It's an ok article i just think that his point is that calzaghe can't stop hopkins and so won't win, which is bull.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By this articles argument then Kessler should have stopped calzaghe as he has 18 ACTUAL KOs. I think it's someone looking for any reason to say that Hopkins will win. Plus that fact that Hopkins has only ever lost by decision still plays into Joe's hands as he's more a boxer than a puncher and seeing as hopkins losses have come against boxers with quick hands and feet then that suggests that calzaghe will have success. It's an ok article i just think that his point is that calzaghe can't stop hopkins and so won't win, which is bull.

I dont see that. I didnt read anything that suggest that. And your agument that givin the people Hopkins has lost to it plays into Joes hands comes with some questions also.
1 The RJJ fight was how long ago??? And really no one was gonna beat him back then. And Hopkins still held his own. He held his own to the point where now RJJ wont even give him a rematch.
2 Most people think Hopkins won both of the fights against Taylor.
So as it is highly unlikely that Joe will ko or tko Hopkins. Its just as unlikely that Joe will bring something that Hopkins has never been up against and beat.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Even Contender Sakio Bika took him the distance.
I think even a Calzaghe hater will concede Bika has an iron chin, and probably wouldnt be knocked out by anyone at 168lbs.

This brings me to my second point - only 2 of the 32 KO's were actual knockouts, one in 1995 and one in 1997 - the rest are TKO's, stopped mainly due to a barrage of fast punches without reply. So out of 44 fights, he's knocked out 2 people. He's also never fought anyone with the class of Hopkins - Kessler was a good fighter, and if he was more aggressive, I believe he could have stopped Joe in the 4th or 7th rounds. Calzaghe is very fit, and will throw punches in bunches all night long - if the fight goes the distance, I think he'll win, of all the 12 decisions he's won only one has ever been split.
You know guys are clutching at straws when they start seperating TKOs from KOs:laugh: This guys an idiot, if he'd have actually seen Calzaghe's early fights he would know that alot of those fighters were down several times early and way out of it by the time the referee stopped it. And Kessler could have stopped Calzaghe, what BS, the only guy who could have been stopped in that bout was Kessler in the 8th (i think) when Calzaghe hurt him to the body.

Bernard Hopkins has had a rather eventful life. I've read before that during his 4 or so years in prison as a young man he was USA Penitentiary Boxing Champ 3 years in a row. I doubt there's many 'tune-up' or 'protected' fights in there.
Irrelvant information.

He also has 32 KO's from 48 wins, but he has 7 actual KO's -3 1/2 times more than Calzaghe's knock out rate. Of his 4 losses, he has never been knocked out, and they were against Roy Jones Jr. and a hungry Jermain Taylor. He also lost his first fight.
Jermain Taylor was clearly nothing special, describing him as a 'hungry' Taylor is just an ploy to explain a loss to a fighter which Hopkins should be beating handily.

Simply put, Calzaghe will not stop him.
Agreed.

My friends point to the fact he's 43. So what. Lets not forget, just 4 years ago at 39 he KO'd Oscar De La Hoya to unify all the belts. He's a multi-World Champion, who has also held the honarary Number One P4P best fighter in the world by Ring magazine, suceeded only by Floyd Mayweather.
The win against Oscar was highly overrated, Oscar was never a Middlweight and lost pretty clearly to Felix Sturm in the fight before IMO.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Oh and i love the fact that he describes Hopkins TKO over Trinidad as a 'Brutal KO' whilst earlier in the article slating the fact that Calzaghe only had TKOs...

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I dont see that. I didnt read anything that suggest that. And your agument that givin the people Hopkins has lost to it plays into Joes hands comes with some questions also.
1 The RJJ fight was how long ago??? And really no one was gonna beat him back then. And Hopkins still held his own. He held his own to the point where now RJJ wont even give him a rematch.
2 Most people think Hopkins won both of the fights against Taylor.
So as it is highly unlikely that Joe will ko or tko Hopkins. Its just as unlikely that Joe will bring something that Hopkins has never been up against and beat.
Hopkins priced himself out of a rematch with RJJ, Jones had earned the 60/40 because he was the major draw, held the belts (at the weight the fight was going to be at) & had a win over B-Hop, but Nard wanted 50/50.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hopkins priced himself out of a rematch with RJJ, Jones had earned the 60/40 because he was the major draw, held the belts (at the weight the fight was going to be at) & had a win over B-Hop, but Nard wanted 50/50.
Thread back open.

2 Champs cant price themselves out of a fight with each other. They couldnt agree on more than just the split. The weight they were fighting at was still undetermined. Hopkins had the belts and was champ for a decade. And Roy had the win over Hopkins early in there careers. Dont you think that 50/50 or 60/40 to the winner would have been easy to agree on??? It wasnt agreed on because it was more to it then just the split. Everyone thinks it was just the split because of the interview they did.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
You said Hopkins held his own to the point RJJ wouldnt give him a rematch, which is completely not true. RJJ offered him 60/40 and Hopkins wouldnt take it. I personally think 60/40 to the winner would have been fair, but those guys are both notoriously hard to negotiate with..

But here's the thing, Hopkins was the draw in the US yet he was STILL willing to give Calzaghe 50/50 split.. knowing Roy had alredy beat him, and was by far the bigger draw, i dont understand why Hopkins didnt take 40/60 if he thought he could win the fight..

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Ego man. That's all that keeps this stuff from happening. B-Hop has a massive ego and he could have increased his pocketbook and stature if he had let his ego down just a touch.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
You said Hopkins held his own to the point RJJ wouldnt give him a rematch, which is completely not true. RJJ offered him 60/40 and Hopkins wouldnt take it. I personally think 60/40 to the winner would have been fair, but those guys are both notoriously hard to negotiate with..

But here's the thing, Hopkins was the draw in the US yet he was STILL willing to give Calzaghe 50/50 split.. knowing Roy had alredy beat him, and was by far the bigger draw, i dont understand why Hopkins didnt take 40/60 if he thought he could win the fight..
like icb said, it was egos that stopped jones/hopkins II from happening. i agree that hopkins should've agreed to 60/40 split in favor of jones. fact is hopkins was stubborn being he had a recent "big" win and jones didn't. nevertheless, jones still owned a win over him, and never really lost in the ring so he deserved the bigger share imo.

as far as why hopkins gave calzaghe a 50/50 split, i think he just wanted the fight secured(not to mention he sees something he can exploit;)). i think he may have learned to be less stubborn after going through the jones debacle, and didn't want to risk the negotiations falling through on another potential super fight.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

How do you know that its not true. No one knows that but Roy. And I never heard of Roy giving the bigger split to Hopkins

1 - 20 of 165 Posts