Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are boxers only allowed to drink water at the end of each round?

Surely fighters being allowed energy type drinks, would help them to be hydrated better, thus in some cases producing better fights.

In all others sports I can think of, energy drinks are what athletes use to hydrate themselves, so I wonder why boxing ( which is one of the most energy intense sports) has not moved forward with the times?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That's a good question of which the only answer is, Tradition. Just like why do they still use a silly hammer, bell, and stop watch to time the rounds when the whole match should be computerized.

Still, water is the best hydrator, and to take something between rounds that would give you energy starts the whole unfair advantage discussion. If both guys take it, they're still even in terms of energy, so????

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Sure sounds like it makes sense, if these drinks actually do re-energize a person it could make for a better fight, but I'm not sure all the propher research has been done as to the actual effects of this drinks, what if they give a fighter a great rush of energy and he simply pushes too hard and his heart blows up or crashes badly the next round, I think their still too many unanswered questions as to the effects of these products, especially during a fight in progress. some research should be done, now we have to find some one to pay for that research and in boxing all hands are extended outward I rarely see anybody sticking their hands in there pockets... let's try asking Don King huh?... :laugh:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Right, and if they do really give you more energy, that's reason right there NOT to do it. The last thing Boxing needs is more controversy. I like the idea of keeping it pure and simple.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
didnt panamal lewis put some kind of drink that had some kind of amphetamine in his fighters water bottle.:laugh:
That was the accusation. Funny how that event still stirs controversy even today, and everybody remembers it. That's the point.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Water is the best. Most of the time they dont even drink the water. It can cause water log along with any type of drink.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Setting up a water drip via cannula infusion would be the best way to hydrate a boxer between rounds, but methinks it might be a tad impractical. :eek:

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Water isnt necessarily the BEST hydrator as some drinks replenish electrolytes and other elements. I dont think that you necessarily need anything else though in a boxing match. Plus the fact that it would be much easier to sneak a performance enhancing substance into a drink mix. Water is pretty easy to test for dissolved solids, and other chemicals. Makes it much harder to cheat.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Some of the fights I have watched at heavyweight have been so poor and sluggish that I would have advocated mandatory use of cocain and pcp between rounds:laugh::laugh:

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Some of the fights I have watched at heavyweight have been so poor and sluggish that I would have advocated mandatory use of cocain and pcp between rounds:laugh::laugh:
That's funny I could see a fighter hiding under the ring and picking out. any ways I think GATORATE is safe enough to be allowed.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts