Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who is the Best Welterweight of the past Fifteen years?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the recent “retirement” of pound for pound best Floyd “Money” Mayweather Jr. there has been a lot of discussion regarding who’s the best in the welterweight division. Antonio Margarito’s TKO of then universally recognized welterweight best Miguel Cotto has elevated him to many of boxing scribs top slot in the division.

So what would happen if and when the Pretty Boy comes back to claim his throne against the dangerous Tijuana Tornado? It would surely be the biggest challenge of both fighter’s careers to date. It will be a fight that will have boxing purest and mainstream fans salivating in anticipation. It will surely be one that lives up to the hype. Margarito will take Mayweather Jr. places he’s never been before. He will bring out the very best of the Pretty Boy.

Unfortunately all the Tijuana Tornado’s efforts will fall short as he losses a spectacular unanimous decision before a packed sellout crowd to the Pretty Boy. Records and past opponents will be thrown out the door. They don't matter at this point in these great fighter's respective careers. Although Mayweather Jr. has clearly faced a higher level of opposition throughout his career [winning his first world title over a very solid Genaro Hernandez in his eighteen fight ’98 and "exiting" the ring with a devasting knockout over Ricky “Hitman” Hatton]. Until recently any comparison would not even be worth mention.

While this will surely be an epic bout Mayweather Jr. outpoints the pressure fighter with a near impregnable defense, pin point counter punching, and effective ring generalship. Margarito will have no shame in the loss but will cleanly be outclassed, outskilled, all the while searching for answers to Mayweather Jr. blinding speed.

Margarito is a savage in the gym and ring guaranteeing constant applied pressure. Nevertheless Mayweather Jr. is second to none with a work ethic likened to the greats such as Marvin Hagler, “Schoolboy” Bobby Chacon, and Roberto Duran. He will not tire nor waver tattooing the Tornado’s titanium chin, slipping punches and absorbing the punishment that finds its mark.

Mayweather wins 116-112 115-112 115-113 across the board.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
As much as I dislike Mayweather. I think he beats Marg 8 rounds to 4. And Oscar is the best Welter of the last 15 years

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Oscar easily the best welterweight for me. I think if Floyd and Margarito fought Floyd would win 117-111 or something like that :thumbsup:.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
As much as I dislike Mayweather. I think he beats Marg 8 rounds to 4. And Oscar is the best Welter of the last 15 years
Mayweather beats him. That I know. How? Not really sure. Margarito will push him all night. But that's nothing new to Floyd. He knows how to deal with pressure. He'll deal with it. And I voted Oscar for best Welterweight as well. Wins over Pernell Whitaker, Ike Quartey, Felix Trinidad (yeah he beat him) and Oba Carr are great wins. I know Mosley beat him. But I think Oscar did more at the weight. The Mayweather lost was at 154. So that doesn't apply to this

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
Oh ****.. I didn't read the poll and thought it was who should Margarito fight next.. and I picked Floyd.

DLH is the best Welter over the past fifteen.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
De La Hoya is the best WW, Mayweather wont fight Margarito.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Oscar easily.

I might say Trinidad a distant runner-up.

I think of Shane as one of the most dominant and devastating lightweight punchers.

Floyd Mayweather has done nothing at 147 except for beating the fragile Judah. Back at super featherweight were his glory days.

I also think of Whitaker being as good if not better at 135.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I did not read the poll well enough and vote for Pernell, Pernell is the best fighter on this poll but DLH deserves to be the ww of the last 15 years since he beat Whitaker at 147(altho i scored the fight for sweetpea).

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
DLH is the best ww in the past 15 years. As NDN said, Floyd hasn't fought shitt at 147 so his name shouldn't even be up there. Everyone elses name that is up there is a better ww then him.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I think more likes 118-110. Seriously. Cotto and williams both showed margarito can be outboxed. Cotto especially with movement, had he been able to maintain it, he might of won every round, this is where mayweather differes. his stamina is legednary as well. And well, there isnt a better boxer in the game right now either.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
When it comes to circling and outboxing, Mayweather is way more experient than Cotto, he wouldnt make the same mistakes, his defense is better, hes faster, hes the better boxer.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I think more likes 118-110. Seriously. Cotto and williams both showed margarito can be outboxed. Cotto especially with movement, had he been able to maintain it, he might of won every round, this is where mayweather differes. his stamina is legednary as well. And well, there isnt a better boxer in the game right now either.
Until he comes back, he's a non-factor.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Floyd won't fight Margarito unless they somehow come up with $30 million which isn't happening. Anyone heard the numbers from Cotto-Margarito yet? I mean official numbers and not what anyone is "hearing."

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Floyd won't fight Margarito unless they somehow come up with $30 million which isn't happening. Anyone heard the numbers from Cotto-Margarito yet? I mean official numbers and not what anyone is "hearing."
Top Rank dont release there figures anymore.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Firstly there is absolutely ZERO chance of this happening and secondly I've said it before but it would be a very simple contest, Margarito has 12 rounds to get Mayweather out of there or he loses.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Only what Arum said. He said it made about 50% more than the Shane MOsley Cotto fight(350k), so it goes up to 500k+ buys, but thats ARUM.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Only what Arum said. He said it made about 50% more than the Shane MOsley Cotto fight(350k), so it goes up to 500k+ buys, but thats ARUM.
I'm sure at some point the numbers will be released. The Ring always seems to get some sort of idea as to what they were about a month after the fight.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
With the recent “retirement” of pound for pound best Floyd “Money” Mayweather Jr. there has been a lot of discussion regarding who’s the best in the welterweight division. Antonio Margarito’s TKO of then universally recognized welterweight best Miguel Cotto has elevated him to many of boxing scribs top slot in the division.

So what would happen if and when the Pretty Boy comes back to claim his throne against the dangerous Tijuana Tornado? It would surely be the biggest challenge of both fighter’s careers to date. It will be a fight that will have boxing purest and mainstream fans salivating in anticipation. It will surely be one that lives up to the hype. Margarito will take Mayweather Jr. places he’s never been before. He will bring out the very best of the Pretty Boy.

Unfortunately all the Tijuana Tornado’s efforts will fall short as he losses a spectacular unanimous decision before a packed sellout crowd to the Pretty Boy. Records and past opponents will be thrown out the door. They don't matter at this point in these great fighter's respective careers. Although Mayweather Jr. has clearly faced a higher level of opposition throughout his career [winning his first world title over a very solid Genaro Hernandez in his eighteen fight ’98 and "exiting" the ring with a devasting knockout over Ricky “Hitman” Hatton]. Until recently any comparison would not even be worth mention.

While this will surely be an epic bout Mayweather Jr. outpoints the pressure fighter with a near impregnable defense, pin point counter punching, and effective ring generalship. Margarito will have no shame in the loss but will cleanly be outclassed, outskilled, all the while searching for answers to Mayweather Jr. blinding speed.

Margarito is a savage in the gym and ring guaranteeing constant applied pressure. Nevertheless Mayweather Jr. is second to none with a work ethic likened to the greats such as Marvin Hagler, “Schoolboy” Bobby Chacon, and Roberto Duran. He will not tire nor waver tattooing the Tornado’s titanium chin, slipping punches and absorbing the punishment that finds its mark.

Mayweather wins 116-112 115-112 115-113 across the board.
Mayweather is permanently retired, his tearful retirement letter stated that fact. In that case this thread is null and void, unless any of you think the prima donna LIED!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts