Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to everyone from Sydney Australia.

Anyway, I'm a Duran fan and lucky for the middle weights that he wasn't born a natural middle weight and lucky for the heavy weights that he wasn't born a natural heavy weight. Duran is the greatest light weight, the greatest P4P and top three of all time. But Duran was very peculiar in his make up in that he harboured in the very bosom of his soul a sort of naked unaccountable anger.

As a personality Duran was some distorted piece of work. Why was he so angry all the time? I mean, his anger was something inflated and enlarged above normal human capacity . It appears to be something wide and general, a kind of unlimited anger at the world at large. Can anyone explain this? He hated his opponents, he laughed at their best shots and smiled, or rather sneered at them while destroying them. Poor Davy Moore was dead man walking and Roberto was sneering at him in such a way that would make the devil himself turn and run. I feel mixed emotions about this. I just don't think macho explains the boundless anger, the deep seeded contempt and the sheer open defiance he displayed. I wonder what all this is about.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
You do exaggerate on some of your claims about Duran's greatness :laugh: About his anger, it might be that it was how he was taught, how he was bought up or just part of his personality. Could be any really. Welcome to the forum as well. Hope ya stick around :thumbsup:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You do exaggerate on some of your claims about Duran's greatness :laugh: About his anger, it might be that it was how he was taught, how he was bought up or just part of his personality. Could be any really. Welcome to the forum as well. Hope ya stick around :thumbsup:

Having a look at your list of favourite fighters, I can only imagine how jealous and overshadowed you must feel.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Duran is easily top 10 but i wouldn't put him in the top 5. Most of the experts have him around 7.

He was a freindly and humble guy away from the ring. His anger IMO was to intimidate his opponents in the run up to the fight.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Duran is easily top 10 but i wouldn't put him in the top 5. Most of the experts have him around 7.

He was a freindly and humble guy away from the ring. His anger IMO was to intimidate his opponents in the run up to the fight.
No, no, I don't think you understand Duran as a personality at all. It's not normal to go 15 rounds with Hagler and then swear and hurl abuse at him afterward. You'd think he'd be spent both physically and mentally, but not Duran. There are too many further instances to mention.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts

He was a down and dirty fighter too Tommy. Take a look at Duran-Ken Buchanan. He used every dirty trick in the book in that fight eventually "winning" by hitting Ken directly in the family jewels wayyyyyyy after the bell to end the 13th round. Referee Johnny LoBianco swore the punch was delivered before the bell and it was a legitimate shot. Ken was in hospital all night with ice on his badly swollen family jewels so that proved LoBianco wrong. Watch a tape of that fight you'll see what I mean. I reckon Bianco was really Joe Cortez Dad LOL

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
No, no, I don't think you understand Duran as a personality at all. It's not normal to go 15 rounds with Hagler and then swear and hurl abuse at him afterward. You'd think he'd be spent both physically and mentally, but not Duran. There are too many further instances to mention.
My meaning is away from the sport.

He was a down and dirty fighter too Tommy. Take a look at Duran-Ken Buchanan. He used every dirty trick in the book in that fight eventually "winning" by hitting Ken directly in the family jewels wayyyyyyy after the bell to end the 13th round. Referee Johnny LoBianco swore the punch was delivered before the bell and it was a legitimate shot. Ken was in hospital all night with ice on his badly swollen family jewels so that proved LoBianco wrong. Watch a tape of that fight you'll see what I mean. I reckon Bianco was really Joe Cortez Dad LOL
Yup, Kenny still gets shooting pains from that to this day. He never got his rematch either. Ive actualy got that fight and the bell had clearly gone as you rightly state C.J. It was a farce.

I beleive that guy never ref'd a fight again.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
My meaning is away from the sport.

Yup, Kenny still gets shooting pains from that to this day. He never got his rematch either. Ive actualy got that fight and the bell had clearly gone as you rightly state C.J. It was a farce.

I beleive that guy never ref'd a fight again.
Buchanan hit duran on the bell so Roberto replied and the ref was leaning on him so his punch went low.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Buchanan hit duran on the bell so Roberto replied and the ref was leaning on him so his punch went low.
It was officialy timed 3 seconds after the bell. He should have been given 5 minutes to recover not been waved off.

It was a farce.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Kenny baby couldn't win that fight even if he dreamed about winning it. He never ever was going to win it anyway no matter what he did. Too bad you fail to notice how often Buchanan continued after the bell. Duran himself admitted that there were low blows in the fight, but he is just really skeptical about Buchanan's showy performance,I mean, how easily he fell and all that rolling around. The truth of the matter is, Buchanan was trying to get Duran disqualified BECAUSE HE COULDN'T WIN ANY OTHER WAY.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
It was officialy timed 3 seconds after the bell. He should have been given 5 minutes to recover not been waved off.

It was a farce.
They both hit after the bell but Duran was the one who landed the last shot. It was definitely low but it wasn't intentional so yeah he should have gotten 5 mn but I doubt he would have recovered.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Kenny baby couldn't win that fight even if he dreamed about winning it. He never ever was going to win it anyway no matter what he did. Too bad you fail to notice how often Buchanan continued after the bell. Duran himself admitted that there were low blows in the fight, but he is just really skeptical about Buchanan's showy performance, how easily he fell and all that rolling around. The truth of the matter is, Buchanan was trying to get Duran disqualified BECAUSE HE COULDN'T WIN ANY OTHER WAY.
What fight were you watching? :confused:

That was a close cometitive bout between two great HOF'ers.

They both hit after the bell but Duran was the one who landed the last shot. It was definitely low but it wasn't intentional so yeah he should have gotten 5 mn but I doubt he would have recovered.
Ken hit on the bell, Duran hit after it. It was low and intended.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh I see TommyGunn is a Hatton fan. Well, Hatton must be the first boxer to ever run himself into a post and knock himself out.

But he has got taste and can recognise greatness. He actually hugged Duran and said, "my hero".

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Duran wasnt angry.. I think he was just showing he was a macho, outside the ring he never said he would eat somebodys children. Yes he would taunt his opponents before the fight but it wasnt anger at all

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I met Roberto back in the early eightes he once told a story of when he was about 12 he used to get picked on a lot by bigger boys he told me he had to fight to lay claim to street corners in order to apply his trade, he use to shine shoes for miserable tips his father had been stranged from his mother a long time. One day 3 boys gang up on him and took his box and rought him up he remembers going home crying to his mother , but instead of a consolation hug his mother became in raged and told him that it was a hard world they were living in and that it was time he became a man she took him by the arm and went to one the boys home, his mother told Roberto either you fight this son of a bitch and get your box back or your not eating or sleeping at my house tonight.
Roberto remembers feeling such a rage inside because of all the times being bullied and at his mothers reaction that he tore into the bigger kid with an insane anger it scared the bigger kid who now had to fight without his buddies backing him up , he vividly remember his mother's screams urging him on to do what ever he had to do to win, he remembers punching with every thing he had non stop then rolling on the ground finally biting the kid on his shoulder and not letting go. The kid began screaming for help and finnally two men who were watching deceided it was time to stop it and pulled the kids apart, a crowd had gatter by then and Robertos mom Felicia screamed out of the top of her lungs that neither she or her boy would put up with abuse from any one ,she was one feared and fierce woman the crowd stood silent, then the boys sister brought out the box and placed near them carefull not to get too close , she told Roberto to pick it up then took him by the hand and as they was walking him home she began lecturing him about how never to show fear never backdown, and never give up, it could very well be said that she created this fighting machine.
Roberto told me that day changed his life and he allways applied his mothers teachings when he found himself in similar situations...the one thing that stands out for him of this memory he saids that while he was fighting so angry that he did not feel any pain , until the next day that is...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thank you very much for your story HUGOBOX. On different levels the story you tell is a moving one. Duran is a strange and fascinating character. If anything, the poverty seemed to have really traumatized the child but he was aware that the Duran family was better than the circumstances allowed them to be. Perhaps this explains his infinite pride. I think it's profoundly wrong to see Roberto's anger as merely showy and to intimidate his opponents. That's bullshit. Truly, if I didn't see on film the various antics he got up to, I wouldn't believe there could be someone who was in someways such a distortion of human nature. In the first Leonard fight, Duran's arrogance (and brilliance) in the 15th rd was beyond belief. The commentators were choking on their own amazement ("I don't believe it, I don't believe it") in the way he didn't throw punches, was toying and playing with Leonard, and in a final insult, offered his chin to Leonard. It was a stunning display of defensive boxing. If anyone knows of a more dejected and resigned look than Leonard's at the end of the fight let me know about it. It also supersedes Willy Peps' famous defensive feat of winnig a round without throwing a punch. Peps' opponent was a mug but Duran's was not. It's absolutely incredible to say, but Duran knew he won the fight BY THE 14TH ROUND!!!!!!!! The disbelief of the commentators was priceless!!!!!!!!!

The only difficulty in deciding what is the greatest win in boxing history, is either Duran's win of the welterweight crown or Duran's win of the middlweight crown. The Leonard fight is for Duran's unmatched brilliance against a great champion, and the Barkley fight, for Duran's overcoming the near impossibility of winning it and for the fact that it was historically the first and only time a lightweight had ever won the middleweight crown.

If you don't agree with me you can go and suck on your own jealosy.

To boz19, all I have to say is that Duran's personality simply eludes you, as does your understanding of the Leonard fights. Duran is too good for you. Go and watch Godzilla fight.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts