Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was playing around with my 16oz grant training gloves last night and the pocket was a lot wider than i'd remembered - kinda like a reyes pocket. in other words, i had a lot of room to slide my hand around.

I was curious what you guys do when using gloves with wide pockets?

Do you slide your grip up near the thumb and keep the fist bunched up?

Do you try to shoot for the middle with space on either side of the fist?

Or do you slide your fist away from the thumb?

I'm thinking about sliding something up inside the glove to take up some of the room and I was curious what the consensus was on wide gloves....

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I have a few pair of gloves that are like this, the title super bag gloves, the tuf wear 18 oz gloves, ( just because I ordered a large and they seem to big for my hand ) But I usually just slide my hand to the thumb side so I can keep my hand clinches. works fine. As long as your hand is taped, You shouldnt have a problem with hurting your hand. I heard sugar ray leonard used to do this as well.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the thing... lately I've just been doing muay thai, so punches make up between 50 and 70 percent of my training.
I don't even wrap my hands a lot of days - don't really need it because the sheer number of punches is lower and i also give my arms a break when i'm kicking.

Lately, for the gloves that either have a big pocket or limited padding, I've been wearing everlast gel glove wraps as an all-in-one wrap & knuckle guard (in that capacity I like them better). Thing is, with my big-pocket grant training gloves, not sure even the gel wrap is enough.

I'll try the thumb thing thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
idea for you

you guys might laugh at this, but I have taken a pair of those small fingerless weight lifter gloves with the wrist strap and used them under gloves, I even used them under my wraps when I had a wrist injury. I read Floyd Patterson did this, and it seemed like a good idea.
Another thing I have done; I hate knuckle guards because they are too thick, but I took a neoprene wrap and cut out the knuckle portion to make a tin neoprene pad. I have also taken neoprene and rolled it into a cigar shape, cut it to the width of my fist and glued it. Then when wrapping I place the roll just under my knuckle. it gets pulled just right by the wrap. I used to have a lot of soreness at the bottom of my knuckles before doing this.

I have done this for several of the guys I train and they all tell me they feel as though they can punch through a wall.

my .02
VK

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
you guys might laugh at this, but I have taken a pair of those small fingerless weight lifter gloves with the wrist strap and used them under gloves, I even used them under my wraps when I had a wrist injury. I read Floyd Patterson did this, and it seemed like a good idea.
Another thing I have done; I hate knuckle guards because they are too thick, but I took a neoprene wrap and cut out the knuckle portion to make a tin neoprene pad. I have also taken neoprene and rolled it into a cigar shape, cut it to the width of my fist and glued it. Then when wrapping I place the roll just under my knuckle. it gets pulled just right by the wrap. I used to have a lot of soreness at the bottom of my knuckles before doing this.

I have done this for several of the guys I train and they all tell me they feel as though they can punch through a wall.

my .02
VK
Haha ghetto. If it works it works I guess.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I mentioned in another post I am having a leathershop sew another line into my reyes "mexican retail" 16oz trainers. I'll let you know how it works and post a pic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts