Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Will he?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
by David Mayo

GRAND RAPIDS -- If Floyd Mayweather decides to launch a comeback -- a question that didn't receive the standard roadblock answer from his adviser Monday -- an unlikely race could ensue as to which Floyd Mayweather's boxing finale happens first, the father's or son's.

It also could hasten the father-son showdown Mayweather Sr. long hoped to avoid -- and did, in declining to train Oscar De La Hoya to fight his son last year -- before his stance was altered by his uncertain health.

This much is certain: Leonard Ellerbe, the younger Mayweather's adviser, did not offer the usual dismissal about a potential comeback, even as he said journalists were buzzing about Ricky Hatton's interest in a Mayweather rematch next year in London's Wembley Stadium.

"I haven't talked to Hatton or his father and I don't know if Floyd is even remotely interested," Ellerbe said. "But it's my responsibility to pass that on to him."

It's not exactly a name on the dotted line, but it's something.

Mayweather Sr., who trained Hatton for the Brit's 11th-round technical knockout of Paulie Malinaggi on Saturday, said an eight-year struggle with a lung disease he developed after moving to Las Vegas, could force him out of full-time training. "I don't see it being another two years," said Mayweather Sr., adding he needs to pad his bankroll while he can.

"If they fight, my son isn't paying me. Ricky Hatton is paying me. What would you expect me to do?" said the 55-year-old, who returned to Grand Rapids today for an extended hometown holiday.

Questions about how long one Mayweather will stay retired are expected the next few weeks, with De La Hoya fighting Manny Pacquiao next week, and also calling for a rematch against the undefeated former pound-for-pound king from Grand Rapids, whose last fight was almost a year ago, in a knockout of Hatton.

Questions about when the other Mayweather retires are new.

Mayweather Sr. developed sarcoidosis shortly after moving to Las Vegas 11 years ago. He coughs every few seconds. Desert dust, exacerbated by construction dust, assaults his lungs. He is considering moving home, at least part-time, but cold weather has its own negative effects. He took steroids for a few years, then discontinued them in favor of herbal remedies and ointments.

"If you don't find something that works for you, you're going to have a bad day," he said. "It can attack you at any time. I'm training these fighters and exercise is good, I know that. But it seems like the more I exercise, the worse my lungs get."

Mayweather Sr. said it was not his role to call out his son on Hatton's behalf. But working against his son is a different story now. The father already began laying the groundwork during his first training camp with Hatton, which he said proves "I've enhanced my game to another level with the way Ricky looked after only seven weeks together."

Ellerbe sat ringside and was so impressed that he called the training relationship "the best thing that ever could've happened to Ricky Hatton."

"Big Floyd has a way of motivating you," Ellerbe said. "He has a way of communicating and I saw immediately what he was doing. I was impressed. Hatton is more of a thinking fighter now."

Ellerbe also said the fight spurred a rare boxing conversation between himself and a certain retired fighter.

"Floyd said the same thing the next day," he said. "He said he watched it on TV and Hatton was a totally different fighter under his father."

Mayweather Sr. wouldn't speculate on the probability of a Mayweather-Hatton rematch but did stress his belief his son will return to boxing.

"That, I believe he will do," he said. "At the end of the day, I believe he'll be back next year. All that stuff with my son? Everybody should just sit back and relax. No one has got to do nothing. Everything is going to manifest itself. Source

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Hector you do realize you just created a future Mayweather hate thread right? ;) I predict that within the next 4 pages we'll have to read about Cortez and Hatton blah blah blah.

Floyd will be back next year, and he'll beat whoever he fights. It doesn't matter who it is. I couldn't care less about when his dad "retires." Big Floyd will train again as soon as someone throws some dough his way.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hector you do realize you just created a future Mayweather hate thread right? ;) I predict that within the next 4 pages we'll have to read about Cortez and Hatton blah blah blah.

Floyd will be back next year, and he'll beat whoever he fights. It doesn't matter who it is. I couldn't care less about when his dad "retires." Big Floyd will train again as soon as someone throws some dough his way.
:laugh: I can't help it, I have to instigate the hate;). On the real though, it's a solid piece with recent developments in the Mayweather family saga. I didn't know Sr. was hurt and thinking about calling it quits in a couple.

If Floyd fights Margarito, Williams, Clottey, and/or Cotto, I can't see him coming out with his 0 intact if he decides to take on 2 of those. I just wouldn't predict right now who'd be the one to do it.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I voted no, but I'm a lot more uncertain now than I was before.
What made you think it was a no before? There were no rumors of Sr. wanting to retire before, I'd be thinking no more now that Sr. wants to retire "in 2 years".

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
:laugh: I can't help it, I have to instigate the hate;). On the real though, it's a solid piece with recent developments in the Mayweather family saga. I didn't know Sr. was hurt and thinking about calling it quits in a couple.

If Floyd fights Margarito, Williams, Clottey, and/or Cotto, I can't see him coming out with his 0 intact if he decides to take on 2 of those. I just wouldn't predict right now who'd be the one to do it.
Floyd-Margarito - Floyd UD 11-1
Floyd Williams - Floyd UD 7-5
Floyd Clottey - Floyd 9-3
Floyd Cotto - Floyd TKO10

The best chance any of those guys have is clearly Paul williams and pre-Margarito Cotto. Hell I'd bet my girl, my car, my dog, my mom, my house, and my soul on Floyd over Margarito. That's as much of a layup has I said Hatton-Malignaggi was.

Williams can beat Floyd if for some reason Floyd doesn't move much.

Clottey spends a lot of time looking for his shots a lot like Floyd, but when you break everything down and imagine the two fighting you come up with a wide UD for Floyd in a very easy fight.

I gotta see Cotto against a live body again before giving him half a chance at beat Floyd.

I want Mayweather-Pavlik, or mayweather-Pacquioao.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts

i could see floyd beating all 4 of them should he choose to fight them ;)

Floyd-Margarito - Floyd UD 11-1
Floyd Williams - Floyd UD 7-5
Floyd Clottey - Floyd 9-3
Floyd Cotto - Floyd TKO10

The best chance any of those guys have is clearly Paul williams and pre-Margarito Cotto. Hell I'd bet my girl, my car, my dog, my mom, my house, and my soul on Floyd over Margarito. That's as much of a layup has I said Hatton-Malignaggi was.

Williams can beat Floyd if for some reason Floyd doesn't move much.

Clottey spends a lot of time looking for his shots a lot like Floyd, but when you break everything down and imagine the two fighting you come up with a wide UD for Floyd in a very easy fight.

I gotta see Cotto against a live body again before giving him half a chance at beat Floyd.

I want Mayweather-Pavlik, or mayweather-Pacquioao.
hellz yeah!

i never thought cotto could beat floyd and i still don't. i mentioned that i'll be pulling for pac against dlh being if pac wins floyd will be back sooner than later.

it's funny that you listed mayweather/pavlik as a matchup you'd like to see. i mentioned that after pavlik laid taylor out, and people thought i was nuts. hopkins showed what a little movement could do against pavlik ;)

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts

hellz yeah!

i never thought cotto could beat floyd and i still don't. i mentioned that i'll be pulling for pac against dlh being if pac wins floyd will be back sooner than later.

it's funny that you listed mayweather/pavlik as a matchup you'd like to see. i mentioned that after pavlik laid taylor out, and people thought i was nuts. hopkins should what a little movement could do against pavlik ;)
Floyd would make Pavlik look like a statue with no arms. Imagine the baldomir fight times ten. IMO it would be beautiful to watch, but Pavlik messed that up by losing the the great one.

I'd still love to see Floyd-WInky, but there's no money there and we all know...well...yeah.
And still my dreamfight as of 2002....Mayweather-Hopkins.....I know it can't happen now, but all those years Hop was fighting at 60 made me crave a match between him and the great Mayweather.

Floyd will come back, and this is how it will go.

1. If Oscar beats Pacquiao there's that option

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts

hellz yeah!

it's funny that you listed mayweather/pavlik as a matchup you'd like to see. i mentioned that after pavlik laid taylor out, and people thought i was nuts. hopkins should what a little movement could do against pavlik ;)
Floyd would make Pavlik look like a statue with no arms. Imagine the baldomir fight times ten. IMO it would be beautiful to watch, but Pavlik messed that up by losing the the great one.

I'd still love to see Floyd-WInky, but there's no money there and we all know...well...yeah.
And still my dreamfight as of 2002....Mayweather-Hopkins.....I know it can't happen now, but all those years Hop was fighting at 60 made me crave a match between him and the great Mayweather.

2. If Pacquiao wins a Floyd fight is a lock.
3. Again if Oscar wins Floyd will go after the new and improved Hatton (who I am starting to like again)
4. OTher that that Floyd has a few options, but we all know he's going to go where the money is just like I would do. "If it don't make dollars then it don't make sense!"

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
hopkins/mayweather would've been a helluva fight, man. i can see floyd winning, but i can honestly see hopkins winning too. pavlik too slow to hit floyd cleanly the same way margarito is. statues have no chance against lil' floyd!

i'd like to see floyd fight pac or hatton. my reasons for wanting to see him fight pac is because it would be the most exciting imo. my reasons for watching him fight hatton again is because i'd like to see floyd fight in front of the crazy hattonites.

the only reason i'd be remotely interested in seeing him fight dlh again would be to see him open up and knock his ass out. if he would've came down to 147 for floyd it would've happened.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I want Mayweather-Pacquiao more than onyone ont this board. A KO win over primed Pacquiao does wodnders.

I would also LOVE to watch Floyd fight Hatton one more time to shut the ref hatas up

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Mayweather will be back... He'll probably fight either Hatton or Pacquiao (he'll stop both). I think Floyd beats all the Welter's out there comfortably, Margarito will get clowned. Floyd will beat Williams/Clottey via easy UDs, and strangely enough i think Cotto would be the most competitive. Id still bet ALOT on Floyd beating him though.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Floyd's hardest matchup at Welterweight is going to be Clottey. Not the first 6 rounds, but the second 6 we'll see how great Floyd's chin really is. Mayweather is just going to be running in this fight too much. Same thing happens with Margarito but atleast when he throws punches at Margarito they will land and create temporary breathing room. He gets no breathing room with Clottey and he'll slow down in the second half where Clottey will start breaking him down. That said Clottey still prolly doesn't win. I can tell you one thing though, Mayweather get's his lowest Compubox landed % ever. Everyone else I think he can comfortably keep his distance with the whole fight...minus Williams, who he has to fight on the inside. He'd make Williams fight in a manner that would turn Williams long reach against him. If he doesn't, he loses. No choice really.

As for Floyd fighting Middleweights...it's still crazy to think about. Floyd is way too short for Middleweight, he was only considering it if Spinks beat Taylor! As for Winky vs Floyd, that's basically the Clottey fight except Floyd loses for sure. If Floyd could beat Winky (provided Winky aint shot) he'd have to be GOAT.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
As long as he fights some of the true welters out there I'd be happy.

Of course that, logically, he'd be fighting Hatton or Pacquiao, but we can dream cant we?

A fight with Margarito would be either great or disastrous for him, Margaritos pressure and volume would either bring the best out of Floyd or break him down.

Clottey wouldnt take many headshots but he wouldnt land much eigher. Theres a chance this could be boring.

Cotto would be a terrific matchup, Cotto can box and has excelent tempo, he'd catch floyd a few times but would eat right hands.

I believe Williams would be outboxed, but I might be wrong, his workrate is very high. The Quintana fight tells me Floyd would win;;

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts

Careful now you made the "statue" prophesy about Cotto-Margarito that sorta backfired didnt it LOL
Ya'll know my feelings I do not want to see the whining prima donna in the ring again. Anyway he'd NEVER have the cajones to face Tony Margarito

·
8,579 Posts
Mayweather will be back... He'll probably fight either Hatton or Pacquiao (he'll stop both). I think Floyd beats all the Welter's out there comfortably, Margarito will get clowned. Floyd will beat Williams/Clottey via easy UDs, and strangely enough i think Cotto would be the most competitive. Id still bet ALOT on Floyd beating him though.
If Prima Donna shared your opinion Tom He wouldnt have ducked Tony Margarito at all. The prima Donna has NEVER fought a top welterweight has he and probably never will

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Careful now you made the "statue" prophesy about Cotto-Margarito that sorta backfired didnt it LOL
Ya'll know my feelings I do not want to see the whining prima donna in the ring again. Anyway he'd NEVER have the cajones to face Tony Margarito
Are you gonna commit suicide if Mayweather comes back and whoops Margarito's ass?

·
8,579 Posts
i hear you about the 'ref hatas', man. what a tired ass excuse:thumbsdown:
Only the most rabid of Prima Donna fans would ever claim that Cortez was anything but blatently biased against Hatton. Even the rabid ones know it but wont admit it. Now dont bring that subject up again OK LOL

1 - 20 of 94 Posts