Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to when both of these guys are going to fight again.

(not together)

I honestly haven't seen Winky fight since he lost to Taylor which was very disappointing and after seeing Roy Jones just four months ago I really want to see him again.

Does anybody know when they are fighting again?

I only ask this because I haven't seen anything in the Upcoming Fights section.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
He actually did not lose to Taylor they fought to a draw but Taylor was the champ so he retained.

Jones has been in negotiation with a fight against Cals but thats going bad i hear.

Winky on the other hand has nothing planned, he says hes too big and good for almost everyone and i doubt we will see him soon since hes so picky on opponents.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
To be Frank, and Winky is one of my favorites, Winky is being a bitch. He won't fight anyone because he says he's too good for them. He's killing his career with inactivity, and he's losing whatever interest boxing fans had in him day by day.

Roy is supposed to fight Calzaghe, but supposedly he is bullshittin about the purse split again. I think this is the fight we'll end up seeing though.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still though it makes no sense (to me at least) to not fight anyone because you are "too good" for them. If he's as good as he says he is why isn't he using it to make money and establish himself. He could've beat Talyor had he not resorted to "boxing" taylor for the last 2 or 3 rounds. Then he decided not to exercise he rematch clause.

Jones vs. Calzaghe is a fight I'm really interested in, I think Jones would beat him

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Still though it makes no sense (to me at least) to not fight anyone because you are "too good" for them. If he's as good as he says he is why isn't he using it to make money and establish himself. He could've beat Talyor had he not resorted to "boxing" taylor for the last 2 or 3 rounds. Then he decided not to exercise he rematch clause.

Jones vs. Calzaghe is a fight I'm really interested in, I think Jones would beat him
To be honest I think Winky is just looking for one or two more big paydays. I don't think he cares about getting to the top again. This is coming from a Winky fan. He's been doing everything other than boxing for the past year.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
To be Frank, and Winky is one of my favorites, Winky is being a bitch. He won't fight anyone because he says he's too good for them. He's killing his career with inactivity, and he's losing whatever interest boxing fans had in him day by day.

Roy is supposed to fight Calzaghe, but supposedly he is bullshittin about the purse split again. I think this is the fight we'll end up seeing though.
I agree. Wright needs to get back in the ring. He's not getting any younger either

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
To be honest I think Winky is just looking for one or two more big paydays. I don't think he cares about getting to the top again. This is coming from a Winky fan. He's been doing everything other than boxing for the past year.
I agree. And there isn't really anyone to give him this at the moment. I think what is messing it up is that he also doesn't have a set weight anymore. 170 was obviously to much. The only big money fight I see for him right now would be Pavlik and he is looking for other opponents right now. He is not screaming for a fight so he must be living it up right now?

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Last night elite pound for pounder Winky Wright made it clear to Boxingtalk.com that there's nothing he wants more than a fight with undefeated, undisputed middleweight champion Kelly "The Ghost" Pavlik. "All they have to do is want to make a fight and we'll give the fans what they want to see. There isn't a better middleweight fight than me and Kelly right now and I'm ready to give him his first loss," said Wright. John Duddy, who appeared to be the frontrunner to face Pavlik next, suffered sever lacerations to his face last Saturday night, thus making Pavlik opponentless for his June HBO date.
This was posted around Febuary/March time, Arum didn't fancy putting Pavlik in with Winky just yet though. Hopefully it happens by the end of the year.

·
Registered
772 Posts
This was posted around Febuary/March time, Arum didn't fancy putting Pavlik in with Winky just yet though. Hopefully it happens by the end of the year.
good point, i would like to see how pavlik deals with winky, i think pavlik is good enough to secure a win but winky isn't the easiest fight out there and could potentially trouble pavlik if he isn't 100% on form on fight night.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
good point, i would like to see how pavlik deals with winky, i think pavlik is good enough to secure a win but winky isn't the easiest fight out there and could potentially trouble pavlik if he isn't 100% on form on fight night.
I would of picked Winky usually but the longer he stays out of the ring the more i lean towards Pavlik. Pavlik is a young, fresh and active fighter, whereas Winky is old and has been very inactive. That could be all the difference.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Pavlik would put Wright into retirement IMO. I don't think Wright will fight again though, I think Hopkins was the last fight :(

·
Banned
145 Posts
I hope winky comes back to the ring soon, the guy is great to watch. Jones will probably be facing Calzaghe later this year.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Winky overates how much demand how much of a draw there is to see him fight again. These last years since fighting Mosley have gone to his head and made him a lazy diva. He's decided to wait till his promoter HBO finds him a date and a suitable opponent. He was offered Vernon Forrest, he said no, because thats his boy.

Winky should face facts HBO isnt going to pay him that HBO money, after losing in a snoozefest, to face Soliman and Quartey types which is what he wants while he waits on the bigger names. This dude use to fight anybody and everybody and now he can't even humble himself enough to fight on for less money.

I think Pavlik has the almost perfect style to beat him, with the high output power-punching.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Winky overates how much demand how much of a draw there is to see him fight again. These last years since fighting Mosley have gone to his head and made him a lazy diva. He's decided to wait till his promoter HBO finds him a date and a suitable opponent. He was offered Vernon Forrest, he said no, because thats his boy.

Winky should face facts HBO isnt going to pay him that HBO money, after losing in a snoozefest, to face Soliman and Quartey types which is what he wants while he waits on the bigger names. This dude use to fight anybody and everybody and now he can't even humble himself enough to fight on for less money.

I think Pavlik has the almost perfect style to beat him, with the high output power-punching.
Great post. I agree with all of this. Winky just needs to fight anyone asap. I really don't think he cares about boxing anymore. His days are slowly ending fast if that makes any sense.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts