Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winky Wright vs. Paul Williams in Talks For 160-Pounds

Sources close to the situation have informed MaxBoxing/BoxingScene.com that talks are ongoing for a potential battle between Winky Wright (51-4, 25KOs) and WBO welterweight champion Paul Williams (34-1, 25KOs). The fight would take place at 160-pounds. There is no date locked down at the moment, several are being thrown around.

Wright, a former undisputed junior middleweight champion, has been inactive since last July's unanimous decision loss to Bernard Hopkins. He's tried to land several opponents, notably Kelly Pavlik, but was unable to come to a deal due monetary disputes. Williams also tried to land a bout with Pavlik, and his negotiations also fell apart due to money.

Williams' promoter Dan Goossen confirmed that talks are ongoing for Wright-Williams, but they are also looking at several other possible fights.

"There have been talks for a fight with Winky Wright. We are in talks for that fight. We are also looking at several other fights. There is Michael Jennings, who is top guy by the WBO. There are the 154-pound champs. Whatever fight we make, it will be better than the fight with Pavlik and Bernard Hopkins," Goossen said.

Bob Arum of Top Rank was unable to reach an agreement for Pavlik to face Wright or Williams. He agreed in principle on Thursday with Golden Boy Promotions to match him with Hopkins on HBO pay-per-view on October 18. Goossen says that a Pavlik-Williams fight could have taken place if a more reasonable offer had been made.

"He originally offered us $1.5 million, then comes back the following week with $1.1 million - $400,000 less. It took me four-weeks just to get him back to the original offer of $1.5 and then it wouldn't move. Bob would not budge off that number. We originally wanted $2.5 million and we were willing to take less, but not that less," Goossen said. "There was $5.5 to 5.6 million dollars on the table. Why would I let Paul Williams fight Pavlik, with all the physical disadvantages, and not get him a reasonable sum of money?"

When asked for his opinion on Arum's selection of matching Pavlik with Hopkins, Goossen was far from enthused with the fight.

"Nobody cares about that fight. It hurts the sport to make that fight and charge people to watch it on pay-per-view. It's not good for our industry, the fans, the writers and it's not good for Kelly Pavlik. Bernard has not been in a good fight since Trinidad. Why would you make that fight Bob Arum? Even if Pavlik beats him, who cares, the guy [Hopkins] should not be fighting any more."
Winky Wright vs. Paul Williams in Talks For 160-Pounds - Boxing News

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Williams aint going to get away with trying to put a zillion straight shots a round down Winkys throat he'll get his herad countered off. He'll need to mix them up.

His workrate will make it close but i favour Winkys clean accurate shots in this one.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
I got winky winning this one too easy, to strong for a fragile Williams
I wouldn't say Williams is fragile he took some good shots from Margarito and Quintana who can both punch a bit. I do agree Winky wins though. :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
I wouldn't say Williams is fragile he took some good shots from Margarito and Quintana who can both punch a bit. I do agree Winky wins though. :thumbsup:
Alot of people on here somehow missed that, Paul was dehydrated when he was taking those shots too, he has an iron chin at 147 and he would bring that up with him whe he goes up in weight.

This fight won't happen, they won't be able to agree on money, though I heard HBO gave Winky a date. I wouldnt believe it til they signed the contract

1 - 11 of 11 Posts