Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Britain’s World Boxing Council light welterweight champion Junior “The Hitter” Witter feels that he is the man to do what his countryman and arch rival Ricky Hatton couldn’t by beating pound for pound king “Pretty boy” Floyd Mayweather. In an interview with South Yorkshire newspaper The Star, 33 year old Witter said “I get up for a challenge and they do not get any bigger than Floyd Mayweather. I'd rate it 60-40… in my favour.”

He added: “The fight nearly happened in 2006 when I became his mandatory opponent but Mayweather had to pull out through injury and then moved up a weight.

“My promoter plans to talk to Mayweather's advisers to see if we can get it on again.

“Mayweather has said he wants to come and box in England, so this would be the perfect opportunity for him.”

Asked whether he saw any problems in fighting at the higher weight of 147 pounds the Bradford native, who has lost only once in his career when he was out pointed by Zab Judah seven years ago, replied “I would still have the power and the speed at that weight so its no problem.”

My take? Well, considering that “The Hitter” has been unable to lure Ricky Hatton home for what would be a massive all British match up, I feel the likelihood of a modern great like Floyd Mayweather Jnr jumping on a plane and coming across the pond is very, very slim.

That said, Mayweather has expressed his newly found love of the British and has stated that he would like to showcase his talents on these shores if he doesn’t retire immediately, the key problems though are 1) Witter sells less tickets than your average third tier soccer team and 2) fights with either Paul Williams or Miguel Cotto would generate more of what the “Pretty boy” loves best…Money.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
typical witter. :rolleyes:

trying to talk himself into the top tier of boxing instead of fighting his way in over the course of his career.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Yep, those wins over Harris, Corley and N'Dou definetly make him worthy, plus hes such a big draw stateside its a big money fight. Cant wait;)

I wish Floyd would have stayed at 140 and took on Witter as his mandatory to shut him up:laugh:

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Yep, those wins over Harris, Corley and N'Dou definetly make him worthy, plus hes such a big draw stateside its a big money fight. Cant wait;)

I wish Floyd would have stayed at 140 and took on Witter as his mandatory to shut him up:laugh:

Floyd v Witter - Id def be a die hard Floyd fan just for 1 night :laugh:

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Hasn't Witter realized that running his mouth ain't really working? He ain't getting any big fights by doing it. Plus Witter would get stopped a lot quicker than Hatton did

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
can't blame the guy for trying ,in this game sometimes it helps to get under the other guy's skin
That's true. But for some reason it ain't working for Witter. Plus Witter brings nothing to the table that Mayweather ain't seen and beaten before. Mayweather by 5th round knock out

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Yeh, Witter is really a very poor man's Mayweather. Hes slick and speedy but hes 2-3 notches below Floyd. He'd be stopped early. Hatton vs. Witter is a fight id love to see but i don't think it'll happen now.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
From now until Floyd signs his next fight we will have to continue to read/hear crap like this. Everyone who wins a fight around 147 will be calling Floyd out, looking for a pay day.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh brother this dude isn't gonna beat Floyd Hatton is the only one that can do it at 140. 147 Cotto and Paul Williams can beat Mayweather.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
To be fair Witter did well against Judah, he took the fight at very late notice and still didnt disgrace himself. But yeh, Witter has no chance of landing this fight and needs to stop making a fool of himself:laugh:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To be fair Witter did well against Judah, he took the fight at very late notice and still didnt disgrace himself. But yeh, Witter has no chance of landing this fight and needs to stop making a fool of himself:laugh:
yip, witter v zab was a very competivtive fight and witter only had around 2 or 3 days notice on that one, i was at that fight and witter never looked out of it at any point.

it was on the tyson v savarese undercard in glasgow scotland.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
yup yup. it's going to be interesting to see how paulie looks saturday. i think paulie' quickness will cause ricky some problems.
I just dont think he has enough pop to hurt Hatton.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Two reasons why i think Hatton would beat Paulie. Firstly, Paulie doesnt have the power to keep Hatton off, this is VERY bad against Hatton. If you can't hurt him he will happily walk through your punches to land his own. Also, Paulie doesnt have the discipline to stick on the outside and box, i think he showed against Cotto hes too easily dragged into a brawl.

If Paulie stayed on the outside and boxed behind with his jab and lateral movement, he could outpoint Hatton, but i think Hatton will drag him into a brawl.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts