Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to fight news.com WBC jr welterweight champion Junior Witter (36-1-2) is likely to travel to the US to make the third defense of his WBC 140 pound title. It is strongly rumoured that he will take on unbeaten Demitrius Hopkins (28-0-1) on March 22nd in the US. A venue has not yet been agreed but it is expected to be in Los Angeles and televised live on HBO. The unbeaten Hopkins is the nephew of Bernard Hopkins and is unbeaten in his pro-career to date and is ranked WBC#5, WBA#8 and IBF#2. Witter won the title in September 2006 when he defeated Demarcus Corley on points and looked impressive in his last outing with a comprehensive stoppage win over former WBA champion Vivian Harris last September. The 33-year-old Witter would like to take on Ricky Hatton in an all UK fight at 140 pounds but so far Team Hatton have seemed cold on the idea in the short term. With some valuable TV exposure for Witter in the US on HBO this could help build some credibility for this bout later in 2008.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Witter shouldn't have any trouble at all with Hopkins. I am far from a D. Hop fan after the performances I have seen so far.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as long as witter moves on it's all good. just keep beating the top 140 pounders and chances are he'll eventually land the fight he's been looking for.
I hope so , i want to see that fight. Maybe after this fight he can take Torres belt to make the deal a little better.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
True , if Hatton gets Torres first , then Witter should takes Rees title then they can unify the belts.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Malignaggi, Witter, Torres, and Hatton need to just get it on.
in a fatal four-way like on wrestling? I'd pay lots of dollars to see that. :D

Seriously though the best possible outcome here would be Hatton fights Torres, Paulie fights Witter and then the winners square off. This could all be completed by the end of this year or early next year. Then whoever stands on top at that point has tons of titles and tons of marketability and Floyd steps down to 140 to fight that guy in Summer of '09.

Tell me I'm brilliant! C'mon, just say it...

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
You may be brilliant, but not in this thread. ;) Kidding.

I love the idea of those guys getting together and winding up with one champ, but Floyd will never be at 140 to fight the winner.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
in a fatal four-way like on wrestling? I'd pay lots of dollars to see that. :D

Seriously though the best possible outcome here would be Hatton fights Torres, Paulie fights Witter and then the winners square off. This could all be completed by the end of this year or early next year. Then whoever stands on top at that point has tons of titles and tons of marketability and Floyd steps down to 140 to fight that guy in Summer of '09.

Tell me I'm brilliant! C'mon, just say it...

Sounds good all except floyd steping down to fight the winner , because he destroys them all.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Floyd would probably beat any of those guys but it would be a blockbuster fight, big numbers, lots of titles, lots of cash, lots of press.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts