Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winky Wright (51-4-1, 25 KOs), out of action for 14 months since losing a decision in a 170-pound fight to Bernard Hopkins, could challenge middleweight titleholder Arthur Abraham of Germany in early 2009, Wright told ESPN.com. He said HBO is holding a date for him in the first quarter, probably in January, and that the focus has been on Abraham, who wants to fight name opponents in the U.S. "Definitely, that is what we're talking about," Wright said. "That's what HBO wants. They want me and him to fight. That is cool. As long as I am getting paid. He's a champion, let's go fight, so I am cool with that. I want it. I want people to see me fight the best. I want to show Winky is still one of the best fighters out there. I'm going to go out beating a few of these dudes." Abraham (27-0, 22 KOs) will defend his belt for the eighth time Oct. 4 against Raul Marquez (Integrated Sports PPV). Chris Meyer of promoter Sauerland Event said he's spoken to Golden Boy about putting Abraham-Wright together, although they aren't committed yet because Abraham needs to beat Marquez and then they want to see what happens Oct. 18 with Hopkins-Kelly Pavlik because Abraham most wants to face Pavlik. Source: ESPN - Notebook: Diaz, Katsidis promising fireworks - Boxing

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They both have the same type earmuff defense, the only difference is Wright can walk forward and actually move while having it on, his punches are the straightest while Abraham can't can't throw anything that isn't wide.

Might be a good fight, probably won't be though, I can just see these dudes taking turns punching, while the other one has the earmuffs on, then opening up when the other one stops. Still this is one of the most significant fights that can be made at 160 that doesnt involve Pavlik.

·
Registered
270 Posts
At this point, Winky is a MAJOR question mark, I don't think that all this time off has done him any good whatsoever. Let's hope it's an exciting fight and not just Winky earmuffed and doing just enough to lose a boring decision. I think he can beat Abraham, but who the hell knows what Wright's got left at this point.

·
Registered
270 Posts
They both have the same type earmuff defense, the only difference is Wright can walk forward and actually move while having it on, his punches are the straightest while Abraham can't can't throw anything that isn't wide.

Might be a good fight, probably won't be though, I can just see these dudes taking turns punching, while the other one has the earmuffs on, then opening up when the other one stops. Still this is one of the most significant fights that can be made at 160 that doesnt involve Pavlik.

Exactly, I think Abraham would be the decided favorite among the powers that be who savor a fight with Pavlik, I don't think there's as big a market for wanting to see Pavlik-Winky, which I think Pavlik would win going away in a snoozer. I think Dr. here kind of expresses my fear over AA-Winky in that it'll be "you pound on my gloves and I'll pick off your shots, and then it's my turn to do the same". On Paper it sounds good have two top guys like this squaring off, but the mesh of styles is a concern to say the least.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
A year ago i wouldave said Winky via stoppage! Now im not so sure, they are both great at defending but Abraham really showed me he can punch in the miranda fight. This is one of those fights that you cant really tell the outcome until they start the fight since you really dont know what Winky can do at this stage in his career.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
A year ago i wouldave said Winky via stoppage! Now im not so sure, they are both great at defending but Abraham really showed me he can punch in the miranda fight. This is one of those fights that you cant really tell the outcome until they start the fight since you really dont know what Winky can do at this stage in his career.
I'm with you man.. Winky's has been inactive for so long and his last fight at 175 really didnt tell me enough because he was fighting a man that spoils everything.

My guess is that Winky is well past it, but even so, I wonder if that might be just enough to beat Abraham - who is fresher, younger.

·
Beautiful Man
3,552 Posts
After Abraham defends his title against Marquez,next fight will be Pavlik-Abraham.
I have my relationships,based on information ;)

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After Abraham defends his title against Marquez,next fight will be Pavlik-Abraham.
I have my relationships ;)
I kind of agree, the only thing that can stop Pavlik-Abraham is Pavlik-Slapzaghe and I'm not sure slappy beats Jones Jr. and I don't think he'll fight him right away anyway. Slapzaghe might pull a Mayweather (if he wins) and retire, Pavlik-Abraham is what should happen before that fight anyway. You have connects like that man?

·
Beautiful Man
3,552 Posts
I kind of agree, the only thing that can stop Pavlik-Abraham is Pavlik-Slapzaghe and I'm not sure slappy beats Jones Jr. and I don't think he'll fight him right away anyway. Slapzaghe might pull a Mayweather (if he wins) and retire, Pavlik-Abraham is what should happen before that fight anyway. You have connects like that man?
If there is something in between it will be Jones Jr.-Pavlik,but i am Roy fan so i am irrational maybe

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
At this point, Winky is a MAJOR question mark, I don't think that all this time off has done him any good whatsoever. Let's hope it's an exciting fight and not just Winky earmuffed and doing just enough to lose a boring decision. I think he can beat Abraham, but who the hell knows what Wright's got left at this point.
Dave, I'm in the same boat. When I think of Winky being off for 14 months I think of a guy who most likely is sitting close to 200 pounds right now who hasn't been doing much boxing if any at all. I have always liked Winky, but he's kind of lost that drive in the past 3 years. I wouldn't be surprised to see Abraham beat him in a very boring fight.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Dave, I'm in the same boat. When I think of Winky being off for 14 months I think of a guy who most likely is sitting close to 200 pounds right now who hasn't been doing much boxing if any at all. I have always liked Winky, but he's kind of lost that drive in the past 3 years. I wouldn't be surprised to see Abraham beat him in a very boring fight.
Yep...I think the fire has gone. If he fights now it'll just be for the money. I see him fighting once or twice more then retiring.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Its been so long since Winky fought im not even sure if he can make 160 anymore! If he can he def will have to cut some serious weight since i doubt hes been super active in the gym.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts