Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so now cotto is the guy mayweather has to beat to prove he's the best.

this is all looking abit familiar. first of all de la hoya was the guy to beat mayweather and who he had to beat to secure his lagacy...he beat him.

then hatton was suddenly the man to beat floyd, had all this hype around him....and he got knoced out.

is cotto really the real deal or are we just grasping at straws for a fight where floyd loses???

im not saying cotto isnt up to it because he is a fantastic fighter, but what happens if floyd fights and beats cotto???

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
No! Cotto can't beat Mayweather. De La Hoya has a better chance and that's if Mayweather loses on purpose to secure a third mega-mega fight.

When or if Floyd fights/beats Cotto, there will be somebody else lined up that "May be the one to do it."

I personally don't see anymore real challanges for PBF anymore. As a fan would love to see Floyd beat Cotto, Mosely, Winky, Spinks, and Forrest before he retires but he doesn't need to to convince me of what he is.

Can you guess what that is? It's an animal and it starts with a G, ends with a T.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Yes! Cotto can beat Floyd. Styles make fights and if you think Floyd can adapt to any style then how come Castillo made him look bad in their 2 fights? Floyd has improved since then but Cotto is a stronger, faster version of prime Castillo with more skills. Oscar had lost 2 of his last 4 fights before facing Floyd so not many boxing fans wanted to see that fight. Floyd also recieved a lot of criticism for fighting a supposedly smaller man (Ricky) when there were a lot of guys to fight at welterweight. But now everybody is calling for the Cotto fight and there's a reason for that...

·
Registered
808 Posts
im a big cotto fan but even im not sure if he can beat pbf he just seems to be able to adapt and find a way to win but i do think that cotto is the hardest fight for floyd at 147 closely followed by mosely
I agree 100% , cOTTO HAS THE BEST CHANCE OF beating Mayweather but i dont think he would. I think Mayweather would find a way to win.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I don't think he'd find a way to win. I just think that he'd overwelm him with handspeed, movement, and a kind of defense Cotto has never had to break through. It's just too much for a fighter like Cotto to handle. After Mayweather's truely done, Cotto can then rule the 147lbs division with an iron fist. Till then, he's in danger of Mayweather taking his bait and catching a world class boxing lesson on how to play tag with a body punchers head.

Oh, and Castillo lost the first 5 rounds of their first fight with four being extremely clear. In their second fight, he got schooled. That was the only fighter that had Mayweather's number but he obviously couldn't use it.

Mayweather is 3D all style boxer. Cotto is more like a 2D body puncher with an occasional faint comming in and nice weeves, but for the most part he's open to ass whoopin' just like everyone else facing Mayweather. Just wait!

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
It's a simple ecuation,if Mayweather keeps wasting time the way he's doing fooling around trying to become a mainstream superstar as some members here put it, by the time that happens and if cotto keeps busy and sharp and they make the fight, Floyd will lose all that stardom in a harsh reality check and probably even get KO. He'll come to the hard realisation that boxing is a sport that you don't walk away from for a year or so and still hope to be 100% it just doesn't work that way not even if you are PBF.
If they were to fight next month I would say COTTO doesn't have a prayer he wont get KO but he will get beaten....Don't get me wrong COTTO will make a fight out of it but he wont win...

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
De La Hoya was the Mega-fight Floyd deserved after putting him in position to secure his as the best, and more importantly as a star. So it wasnt a case that he had to beat Oscar to prove anything, he earned the mega fight with his career..Most predicted Floyd would win by decision

Hatton was a safe pick Mayweather made, and a wise one, taking on an undefeated extremely popular British that brings big money along. His style and highlights were enough to give him the hype making people believe he had a good chance of winning. But once again Hatton isnt a prime elite welterweight, just a smaller guy.

Cotto is the one Floyd has to fight before its all over, he is in his prime, is undefeated, owns relevant victories in his resumee and has a real hype around him even before the fight is made. Unlikely the Hatton fight, this is the kinda hype that boxing experts are supporting and giving Cotto credit for, or a real chance.

If Cotto can beat Floyd I dont know, but like it was said before, if theres one man that can be a threat to mayweather, that would be Cotto.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
IMO DLH has the biggest chance of winning Floyd. Altho Floyd won the first fight it was extremely close and not many scored the fight much more than Floyd winning by 2 rounds, me i had Floyd winning by 1 round.

If DLH comes in focused and ready to go 12 rounds i could see DLH tkae it but i highly doubt it.

Cotto will not win Mayweather sadly :( like Balistik said style make fights and Cotto would eat right hands all night.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I don't think he'd find a way to win. I just think that he'd overwelm him with handspeed, movement, and a kind of defense Cotto has never had to break through. It's just too much for a fighter like Cotto to handle. After Mayweather's truely done, Cotto can then rule the 147lbs division with an iron fist. Till then, he's in danger of Mayweather taking his bait and catching a world class boxing lesson on how to play tag with a body punchers head.

Oh, and Castillo lost the first 5 rounds of their first fight with four being extremely clear. In their second fight, he got schooled. That was the only fighter that had Mayweather's number but he obviously couldn't use it.

Mayweather is 3D all style boxer. Cotto is more like a 2D body puncher with an occasional faint comming in and nice weeves, but for the most part he's open to ass whoopin' just like everyone else facing Mayweather. Just wait!
I can guarantee you Cotto would give Floyd his toughest fight. He's not that one dimensional body puncher that many people think he is. He has underrated boxing skills and underrated handspeed. He also has power, accuracy and a style that I think can beat Floyd.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I think Mayweather would beat Cotto. Mayweather would use the ring, moving alot and leading with left hooks/straight rights. I think Cotto would give him a good fight, he has a good jab and applies educated pressure, but i just don't think he has enough to beat PBF.

The whole Cotto is a "one dimensional body puncher" thing isnt the case anymore, early in his career perhaps, but now he has shown against world class opposition he is a very good boxer too.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Mayweather would expose Cotto for his lack of speed. Cotto would become a Mayweather punching bag.
Yup, right around round 8. The more Cotto will open up to land shots the more he will get hit. The more he gets hit the more the scars above his eyes open up and he gets worn down by pin point accurate punching. If he stops throwing, he'll become a striking bag.

Cottos best weapon will be his worst nightmare against Floyd. Just like everyone else. Hatton's inside fighting was reduced to smothering his own self due to Mayweather's style of making your weapons turn against you.

He's a boxing genius, forget about it!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The whole Cotto is a "one dimensional body puncher" thing isnt the case anymore, early in his career perhaps, but now he has shown against world class opposition he is a very good boxer too.
Correct.

Also, why don't you update your signature? Y. Gamboa is now 9-0 (8 KO's)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I can guarantee you Cotto would give Floyd his toughest fight. He's not that one dimensional body puncher that many people think he is. He has underrated boxing skills and underrated handspeed. He also has power, accuracy and a style that I think can beat Floyd.
I never said he was one dimensional. I agree with you about the underrated boxing, and handspeed, but that's not an issue to my argument. De La Hoya and Mosely have about the same handspeed. I'm talking about leg movement. Cotto showed a hell of a lot of improvement with Mosely, but it won't be half of what he needs against Mayweather IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am huge Cotto fan he might even be my favorite boxer right now but unfortunatly i don't think he would be able to be Floyd. Cotto has great offensive skills and would take it to Floyd but his defense is suspect. In almost all of Cottos fights (and ive seen almost all of them) there is a moment where his defense breaks down and he gets rocked and istantly backs away. Most recently this happened in the late rounds of the Mosley fight i think round 11 since he has a good chin he was able to withstand it but I think that Floyd would take advantage of Cottos sub-par defense and be able to put him away by KO.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
so now cotto is the guy mayweather has to beat to prove he's the best.

this is all looking abit familiar. first of all de la hoya was the guy to beat mayweather and who he had to beat to secure his lagacy...he beat him.

then hatton was suddenly the man to beat floyd, had all this hype around him....and he got knoced out.

is cotto really the real deal or are we just grasping at straws for a fight where floyd loses???

im not saying cotto isnt up to it because he is a fantastic fighter, but what happens if floyd fights and beats cotto???
Wrong logic there. Cotto needs to beat Mayweather to prove he is the best, not the other way around. Floyd is already universally reckognized as the best.

Yes Cotto has a chance. No Cotto won't win.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
How can Cotto be a one-dimensional fighter when he beats by decision a man that won basically every round against Luis Collazo(a guy that lost very controversially to Hatton) and possesses great handspeed and excelent boxing skills?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I too don't think Cotto could beat Floyd, but I do think he could hurt him. That's the test Floyd hasn't passed, how he battles back from being rocked, or a knockdown. Cotto is the only one able to do this right now.

1 - 20 of 210 Posts