1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A Troublesome Prediction: "I Would Never Lose To A White Boy"

[email protected]
ROBERT LITTAL PRESENTS THE INFAMOUS BLACKSPORTSONLINE

In ancient times, The Romans thought themselves superior to the Galicians. The Huns thought themselves superior to the Romans. The Persians thought themselves superior to the Huns, and so on. Each group believed in their heart that they were bigger, stronger, better...superior to the other group and thus when engaged in combat would win because to be born other then themselves was to be born inferior.

As the centuries passed, Hitler took power in Germany and convinced a nation that simply by being born Aryan they were destined to control the world...every other group was born weak and thus should be made submissive.

These weren't just thoughts, these were passionate, intense beliefs that each group fought to the death for. And death is what they got, because each one of these groups suffered catastrophic defeat and were themselves brought down by the sword.

If history has shown us anything, it's that you can never make judgments based on color, religion, or any other typical stereotypes. In every single instance, there's always an exception that can be found. You underestimate an individual based on what "group" he belongs to, and you just set yourself up for failure. That means you are taking your opponent lightly not because of sound objectivity but because of racial or religious ignorance and bias. Every single human being is separate, his own man or woman, and can't and shouldn't be categorized.

Finally, this brings me to Bernard Hopkins. In a press conference hyping the April showdown between Hopkins and Wales bred Joe Calzaghe, Ole' Bernard said that he would never lose to a "white boy". He stated further to print it, shout it, announce it; he would never lose to a "white boy". Never mind the fact that Calzaghe is in his mid-30's, he still gets called a boy. Ask yourself, if someone calls you a "boy" what would your reaction be?

Well, we know Bernard is definitely no history buff, because if he were, he would comprehend what has happened to groups and individuals that underestimate based on color. Nothing good.

Before his statement, I was picking and rooting for Bernard all the way. I don't like the way Calzaghe wins, simply by throwing a lot of punches that have absolutely no power. I respected Bernard Hopkins. He was born with nothing and became a millionaire, he followed his dream and broke down all barriers, including the barriers of a jail cell, and accomplished his mission.

Bernard could appeal to the population as a whole; he wasn't just embraced by black people. Old white men could watch a 43 year old man defeat a younger guy, outfight and outthink someone 15 yrs his junior. They could look at Bernard and say, "Just because I'm in my 40's doesn't mean life is over...look at Bernard Hopkins!" Bernard was showing EVERYONE that age is just a number, that we as people can do what we put our mind to do, regardless of the fact that the majority of people tell us otherwise.

What an impact Bernard was proving to have, not on the "black race" but on the "human race". Bernard could have played a key role in bringing people together, instead of pushing people apart. Pulling people together is special; it takes a unique, blessed individual to do that. Anybody with a loud mouth can push people apart.

I don't know Bernard Hopkins, so I won't speculate as to his true intentions. But the statement he made during that press conference was certainly racist. He chose to go down the same road as the Romans, the Persians, the Germans...and judge someone based on color and race, based on what group they were born into...a group they had no control over being born into.

Come April when I watch the fight, I will watch it with the same intensity as black individuals who listened on the radio to the Joe Louis vs. Max Schmeling bout in 1938. What was at stake then is at stake now. Knowledge vs. ignorance.

I hope Calzaghe proves Bernard wrong just like Joe Louis proved Hitler wrong. Like the Russians proved the Germans wrong. Like the Huns proved the Romans wrong. Were it Kelly Pavlik fighting Hopkins, I wouldn't have to hope. I would know. ....................

TO CONTINUE READING THIS ARTICLE CLICK HERE

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
hitler!? people really need to stop comparing something as miniscule as a comment made by hopkins to anything connected to hitler.:thumbsdown:

If history has shown us anything, it's that you can never make judgments based on color, religion, or any other typical stereotypes. In every single instance, there's always an exception that can be found. You underestimate an individual based on what "group" he belongs to, and you just set yourself up for failure. That means you are taking your opponent lightly not because of sound objectivity but because of racial or religious ignorance and bias. Every single human being is separate, his own man or woman, and can't and shouldn't be categorized.

i agree with this sentiment 1000%! i truly believe hopkins is not a racist in any way, shape, or form. regardless, what he stated was completely wrong and shouldn't have been said.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Pff people need to stop being sensitive, i still cant believe that comment got so contreversial it so stupid people are just looking for somone to be the bad guy, so they know who to cheer for.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Well you know is allways gonna go like that, especially if a guy is not well liked like old sourpuss Bernard, I wouldn't put it past him to walk into the ring wearing a tight little mustache and raising his right arm in a hailing position.:laugh:

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
hitler!? people really need to stop comparing something as miniscule as a comment made by hopkins to anything connected to hitler.:thumbsdown:

i agree with this sentiment 1000%! i truly believe hopkins is not a racist in any way, shape, or form. regardless, what he stated was completely wrong and shouldn't have been said.
This guy has gone wayyyyyy over the top all Hopkins is doing is hyping the fight. I guess many of you are too young to remember Alan Minter saying before defending his middleweight title against Marvin Hagler " No way will I lose my title to any black man" It wasnt quite in those words either.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
This guy has gone wayyyyyy over the top all Hopkins is doing is hyping the fight. I guess many of you are too young to remember Alan Minter saying before defending his middleweight title against Marvin Hagler " No way will I lose my title to any black man" It wasnt quite in those words either.
i definately recall watching hagler pelted with debris as he kneeled down in the middle of the ring.

·
8,579 Posts
i definately recall watching hagler pelted with debris as he kneeled down in the middle of the ring.
Quite true Digga I was at that fight Marvin won fair and square no disputes the so called fans were disgusting. Same way when Donald Curry KO'd Colin Jones they pelted him with beer bottles one hit his trainer Paul Reyes

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Quite true Digga I was at that fight Marvin won fair and square no disputes the so called fans were disgusting. Same way when Donald Curry KO'd Colin Jones they pelted him with beer bottles one hit his trainer Paul Reyes
Which fight are you talking about, Leonard? Hagler won that damn fight! If you were there, I salute you! You witnessed a great piece of boxing history!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
As much as I loved Hagler, Leonard made him old and slow in that fight. He fought with impressive flurries, and strong finishes at the end of each round. I hated it at the time, but couldn't deny it.

I'm sure Calzaghe will not disappoint, he's the real deal, and has nothing to fear in Hopkins.

·
8,579 Posts
Which fight are you talking about, Leonard? Hagler won that damn fight! If you were there, I salute you! You witnessed a great piece of boxing history!
No I was at Hagler-Minter after Minters " I'm not gonna lose to any black man" claim.
Yeah Hagler was robbed against Leonard gross injustice

1 - 20 of 21 Posts