Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of us guys might know each others picks but i wanted to post this because there are so many new members here now, and i really wanted to see wich fighters from the past or even if hes still fighting is their all time favorite and why.

My picks

Evander Holyfield : Always been my favorite, he was really small compared to the fighters he fought but he made up for that with his great boxing skills and combos and of course his amazing heart and will. His fights with Riddick Bowe are legendary and he beat Mike Tyson in one of the biggest upsets ever.

Muhammad Ali : Imo the greatest HW of all time if not the greatest fighter of all time, he was my dads favorite fighter so when i was young he was always mine too.

Pernell Whitaker
: Along with Willie Pep the greatest defense boxer of all time. I remember watching him when i was young and seeing how amazing this guy was, guys punching in 20 punch combos but he dodged it all and threw back a jab in their face.

Sugar Ray Leonard : I was never a huge fan until recently when i watched his career set my dad bought. Some people say he ran from fighters and fought like a coward, that is a lie he did that once and that was against a MW (keep in mind he was a ww) who you did not want to get into a fight with(just ask Tommy Hearns). His fights with Tommy Hearns are legendary and imo SRL has the fastest hands in boxing history.

Honorable mention : Naseem Hamed, Roberto Duran, JCC sr., Julian Jackson, George Foreman.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Rocky Marciano: Whats not to like? Great man out of the ring, and even in it until the bell rings. Once he knocked you out he was always worried if he hurt you bad and if you were all right. He was one of the hardest hitters of all time, possibly the hardest 1 shot KO puncher, and he was arguably the most conditioned fighter of all time.

Larry Holmes: Great man in and out of the ring, much like Marciano. He's slowly getting recognized as one of the best, which was long overdue. He possesed known by most as the greatest jab of all time, it was one the hardest, and along with that, it was one of the fastest. He had great handspeed, and could move like Ali when he wanted or needed to. He has done a ton for charity, and is one of the few champs to keep all of their boxing money, on top of more millions then you could imagine through real estate, endorcements, and a ton of buisness.

Marvin Hagler: Much like Holmes, has a blue collar back round and knows the true meaning of hard work and going to war. You could be best friends with him, but the minute you sign the paper to fight him...he hates your guts until the fight is over. He has a great saying that was practically his code "The more you sweat in the gym, the less you bleed in the ring" it is so true most of the time. He had a great fight Hearns, and IMO deserved the nod against Leonard, little flurries that do nothing don't cut it for me.

Willie Pep: Pep is considered one of the greatest defencive masters of all time. With an out standing record of 230-11-1, 65 KO's. A lot of people scoff at the 65 KO thing, but its funny in a way, because a lot of people don't even have 65 fights. He acctually won a round with out throwing a punch, just by make the other guy look so silly and miss so often. He came back after a terrible plane crash, and fight and win over 100 more times. Doctors said that he wouldn't walk again, and when he walked, they said he wouldn't fight again, 6 months later he was fighting and winning all over again.

Sugar Ray Leonard: I never used to like his show boating, but Ive always liked his style. He was a truly great champion and hand IMO the fastest hands of all time, he through 20-30 some punches in less than 7 seconds, that is incredible! He had great fights with Hearns, and even though Leonard got lucky on the cards twice (Hearns and Hagler), he still was a truly great champ. It was sad to see him get beat down by a Camacho jab.

Honorable mention: Joe Frazier, Lennox Lewis, Thomas Hearns, Dwight Braxton (Dwight Muhammad Qawi).

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Naseem Hamed: The guy that got me interested in boxing lol when i was about 8 or 9 i used to love watching his extravagant ring entrances and flamboyant style. Alot of people said Barrera exposed him, but that wasnt prime Naz out there that night, watch him dismantle Steve Robinson many years earlier, now thats prime Naz. Alot of people hated him, but he made ALOT of people interested in the sport and i think he was abit of a wasted talent.

Joe Calzaghe: Another Brit:laugh: When i was younger my dad was a big fan of Eubank, Benn, Watson etc and i remember watching a very young Welshman with him one day, long before he fought Eubank and my dad said all along this guy was gonna be awesome. Seen pretty much all his career fights, and think hes one of the most underrated fighters of all-time. Great chin, heart, speed, stamina and workrate, along with deceptive power. Close to being the complete fighter IMO.

Erik Morales: I just love watching him fight. Its awesome when he gets hit with power punches then just comes flying back with flurries of power shots of his own. One of the best chins i have ever seen, hes just badazz. He has awesome boxing skills from long range, but chooses to mix it up on the inside just to thrill the fans. The 12th round in the first fight with Pac just tells you everything about Morales, he knows hes won the fight, so he turns southpaw and just goes toe to toe with Pac.

I like a tonne of other fighters, such as Mayweather, Tyson, Ali, Frazier, Jones, Hagler, Trinidad and Pacquiao, mainly because there either exciting or just that damn good:laugh: The 3 guys above are my three favourites though.

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
1,000 Posts
I've got a huge long list of my favourite fighters of all time... but if I had to get it right down to one it would be > Roberto Durán.

Sure... his had his ass completely and utterly kicked on the odd occasion (Thomas Hearns) but all great fighters have had their worst moments (whether they were way past their prime or not). When it comes to toughness, power, skill, speed (he wasn't that fast... which I can relate to) charisma and being a complete and utter badass who won World Championships at 4 Different Weight Divisions (Middleweight, Light Middleweight, Welterweight and Lightweight... why he never went for Light Welterweight... I WILL NEVER, EVER KNOW)... not to mention he is considered to be THE GREATEST LIGHTWEIGHT FIGHTER OF ALL TIME!

So there you have it... Sonny Liston's (ME!) FAVOURITE is Roberto Durán.

G

·
Is there a doubt?

If you guys have been paying attention to my posts at all...this won't come as a surprise.

Roy Jones Jr.: Does this really come a surprise to you people? Without a doubt, this man was the best head-to-head P4P fighter in history. I find it really hard to see anyone even coming close to being as good as he was in the ring. He might not have the greatest accomplishments (although hell, just look at what he did, it's still pretty awesome), there's nobody that could ever have beaten him in his hayday, not a soul. I loved how flashy he was in the ring, but I also loved that, while confident in himself, he cared about others and is a very good person all around. I think he's had many misfortunes in his career (Look at his Disq against Montel Griffin, and the Gold Medal he was robbed of), but you can't overlook just how great he was. To be honest, I wish that RJJ never went up into the heavyweight division. He might have been able to go undefeated until now, even. Oh well. RJJ forever the best.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Sugar Ray Leonard :
He might not be the best ever but he and Duran are my all time favorites. In my opinion he had the fastest hands ever, the most beautiful combinations and a stunning explosiveness. He could do everything, he could box from a distance or get close and mix it up. He was defeated but he fought some of the greatest fighters in a legendary era.

Roberto Manos de Piedra Duran :

To me he is the ultimate brawler. He was a natural. Fierce but relaxed and focused. A tremendeous inside fighter who put pressure like nobody else. But he had underrated defensive skills (and rope skipping skills lol). He was the definition of relentlessness.

·
Registered
26 Posts
julio cesar chavez
iron jaw, relentless pressure, could box a little bit, devastating left hook to the body, punishing right hand. he basically outmanned his opponents unitl they couldnt take anymore. true warrior and greatest mexican champion of all time.

rocky marciano- brutal ko puncher, granite jaw, relentless, exciting and great person. classy champion

joe frazier- comes out smoking , arguably best left hook of all time, peoples champion, so much heart

jack dempsey- personified hw champion.dempsey roll, other candidate for best left hook of all time, murderous puncher, legendary jaw, underated as a boxer.

honorable mention- gatti, bobby chacon, alexis arguello, duran, carlos ortiz

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mike Tyson - All Time Favorite :cheeky4: I think if he didnt had trouble with his personal life
and he was not put to prison..He is the most fear boxer up til now.

Manny Pacquiao - Country mate :) :)

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Ali
Duran
Tyson
Lewis
Benn

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Must say Tommy that im supriesed to see Tyson on your list :O Dont know why but ti always thought u disliked the guy, but i might be confusing u with somone else.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Tommy Hearns
Nigel Benn
Mike Tyson
Marvin Hagler
Gerald Mcclellan
Lennox Lewis
Evander Hollyfield
Pernell Whitaker
Kirkland Laing (what a wasted talent)
Michael Watson
Sugar Ray Leonard
Julio Cesar Chavez
Joel Casamayor
Azumah Nelson
Ali
Marciano
Frazier
Ray Robinson
Calzaghe
Shane Mosley

I hope Cotto gets to join the list..

·
Registered
69 Posts
DIEGO "CHICO" CORRALES

He had everything. He had the technical ability to out-box opponents, but had the balls to stand in the middle of the ring and fight toe-to-toe, he had a big heart and showed a tremendous amount of courage throughout his career.

As a fan you always got what you paid for in Corrales fights(I'm sure I will never see another fight like Corrales vs Castillo part 1 in terms of drama and excitement).

I think if he was still with us, at some point he would have been in the ring with the likes of;

Mayweather (I know what happened in the first fight but DC had huge personal problems and I think Weight was a real problem, I'm not going to say he would have beaten PBF, but it would have been an exciting rematch )

Cotto (world war 3)

Margarito (world war 4)

Cintron (with their styles, this would probably been one of the most exciting fights ever).

I hope he gets inducted into the boxing hall-of-fame, he was a brave, courageous, multi-weight world champion, who brought so much excitement and drama to boxing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ali, Tyson, and Sugar Ray Robinson

Just to pick three. Ali for his speed, especially in the early years, and his mental skills in the ring, not just how he beat his opponents psychologically, but how he adapted and figured his guys out. Tyson for his technical skills as an inside fighting heavy; he went in better than any heavy with his limited size and reach, and Robinson for the ultimate boxer/puncher that he was. Outbox, outmove, outscore, and then take you right outta there, with either hand.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Thomas "the Motorcity Cobra" aka "hitman" Hearns - Just very quick at his feet, lightining quick jab and a thunderous right hand. Very exciting to watch, paid some price for being a warrior

Sugar Ray Robinson - You cant get a more complete fighter than him. He could fight and punch moving backwards, he had knockout power, could mount a very formidable offense with his quick combinations, his footwork was sensational(even today). The best fighter of all time

George Foreman - I just like the guy, he would fight in a very odd way, with his face hanging around and his arms swinging wild and wide. He could punch like a horse and his skills are underrated, hes a gold medalist and his comeback is a memorable one.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Must say Tommy that im supriesed to see Tyson on your list :O Dont know why but ti always thought u disliked the guy, but i might be confusing u with somone else.
You must be thinking about Bill mate.

Ive always been a huge Tyson fan, even when he fought Lewis i wanted him to KO Lennox.

IMO he's the most exciting fighter in history.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts