Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Your favourite fight of all time and why?

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  bill1234 
#1 ·
Sorry if it has been done before, but hey a refresher....

For me it was Gerald Mclellan V Nigel Benn.

The reason was that for me it was the most fearce all out tough blood and guts fight I have ever seen, both guys should have been knocked out about 20 times over....

#3 ·
Present day has to be Pavlik TaylorI. Past tense was probably Holmes Cooney. I just loved the way Holmes surgically dismantled the over hyped Cooney. Round by round you just watched Cooney get drunker and drunker until he just couldn't stand up any more. It was the best piece of work I've ever seen and exemplified what a Master Boxer is.

Cooney has to be the most disappointing beautiful disaster ever in boxing. The way he got beat was always so ugly, and dramatic.

He just sticks in my mind.

#5 ·
Fernando Vargas vs. Felix Trinidad. It had drama throughout, both guys beat the crap out of each other, both guys got knocked down & the ending was awesome.

I also liked Morales-Pacquiao I, against all odds Morales took the new king of the lower weights to school.

#9 ·
For personal reasons id say Kessler vs Beyer since it was my first big fight life and 30.000 drunk danes around me (the riot police had their hands full) and it was just a great time.

Now if i should pick a fight due to excitment and suff i would go with some of these 5 fights

Holyfield vs Bowe I
Holyfield vs Tyson I
SRL vs Hearns I
Hamed vs Kelley
Mayweather vs Corrales

I could go on all day but ill go with Kessler vs Beyer for the reasons staded above.

#10 ·
I liked about 3 fights the most:
Ali-Frazier I
Hagler-Hearns
Holmes-Cooney.

I liekd Ali-Frazier I because it was the fight where the two fought where they were closest to their primes, and it was before they ruined themselves in their fights. It was a great match and it was truly the fight of the century.

Hearns-Hagler was the greatest 3 round fight of all time. It was non-stop swinging and both of them were trying to knock eachothers heads off with every shot. They both took more punishment than most people do over 12 rounds today in that 3 round fight. It had an exciting finish and both gave it their all.

Holmes-Cooney was a classic (like Ali-Frazier) boxer vs the puncher. This was Holmes's last prime performance, and he made it a great one. Cooney was in his prime and was a huge puncher possessing arguably the hardest left hook to the body of all time. Holmes flicked his jab into Cooney's face all night and finished him off in the 13th.

Those are my top 3 favorites.

#11 ·
I remember attending the Holmes Cooney fight at an indoor stadium where tickets were sold to watch it on the big screen....Thats the way we used to do it. :) I was literally shaking in the first few rounds afraid Cooney would land that big left hook and it would be over in a flash. What a shock it was when Holmes knocked Cooney down in the second round. And then the low blow Cooney landed in the 6th I think it was. At first I thought he'd finally gotten to Holmes the way it bent him over....I'll never forget that night it was as electric as it gets....Good to reminisce. :)

#14 ·
I think it was the 9th.For those of you who haven't watched the fight, it's on youtube from ring walks to the very end. Imagine the right Shavers nailed Larry with, right in the nuts and that was the shot Rayman is talking about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.