Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell about your first fight or sparring session. My first sparring session went all right for me. I didn't do too bad. I was already boxing for 6 months, and they matched me up with person closest to my lvl and size (3 years more xp, and about 45lbs heavier than me :( ) I went 3,3 min rounds of getting hit in the face with medium shots. The 2nd time I sparred, it was the same person and I got hit over 73 times in the course of a round and a half real hard. I didn't make it to the 3rd round.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
My first sparring session was great. I was up against a fellow rookie, and I basically overwhelmed him by jumping him instantly. I could see in his eyes that he was afraid so I did what come naturally. Now in my 4th or 5th sparring session I got outclassed by Sean Springs who was on his way to the professional level before he got in a wreck.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
My first sparring session was against an undefeated Jr Middleweight that fights out of my gym. He was definately going easy on me, but still caught me with some rough shots. I was more trying not to get hit, which was a big mistake. I took a good body shot in the first round, and then an equally good shot in the second. It put me to my knees, liver shot. It was tough to breath. In my 3rd sparring session, i got a nice bloody nose, but figured out that I needed to use my jab to keep my opponent at bay. You can punch all day on the bags, but being in the ring is MUCH different.

·
Registered
424 Posts
MY first sparring session was all bad. which is good because it gave me more incentive to work that much harder. I had been hitting bags/training for only about 2 months before my first sparring session. The gym i go to is mainly a kick boxing gym. One day i asked to train with one of the kick boxing classes. we spare. First round i did was a 2min round with the local cage fighter, he was working on his stand up. Kick boxing and boxing are much different. I was knocked down 3 times in that one round. I had no idea how to block kicks (or throw my own for that matter).

thats mine.

-Melty

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
i remember my first sparring session very well, it was the second night id been to the club and they matched me and my freind who both started on the same night, the first night we were there they had us on the pads just trying to get some sort of jab established, so the second night jock the guy who ran the club said to us both not to throw any right hands and just try and jab each other.

within 20 secs he had jumped in the ring and pulled the 2 of us apart, we went in swinging like absolute windmills.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
my first fight was around 3 years later and i lost, i was always big for my age growing up and the guy who i was up against was around 2-3 years older, although we both had around the same experience i syched myself out hardly throwing a punch.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Ahh the good ol' days of being 16.
i was winning medals at 16 bruv....lol, i was around 13 when i had my first fight.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
It is very different over here. I fought in GoldenGloves and it ain't easy to win anything in Goldengloves. I was 11 when I had my first fight with a kid in school.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
It is very different over here. I fought in GoldenGloves and it ain't easy to win anything in Goldengloves. I was 11 when I had my first fight with a kid in school.
our version of goldengloves is called the ABA's, i fought at that level and done very well, when i was 20 i had just won the scottish JR's and thought, well, knew i was in the medal mix. i lost in the last 8 of the chamionship but i had to fight 5 times in 3 days which nobody else had to.

the fight i lost was close but im not bitter and i didn't feel i had won the fight but i did feel if i didn't have to fight as much i would have won but not easily, the guy i fought that night was an english guy who could punch and he was pretty fast for a big guy, i was the better boxer but i was sore and very, very stiff going into the fight.

he went on to win the bronze medal fight, he lost a close decision to get to the final.

the guy who won the title i had actualy fought and beaten 18 months prior to that, he goes by the name of jamie dapplin.

·
Registered
60 Posts
hmm my first sparring session i had maybe a few months of xp i fouhgt against a guy who has been boxing for 1 year, well we went two 3min min round and i could not even last the second round but i did great i knocked his mouth piece out of his mouth with a right, well im 15 i spar guys in college and that are seniors because its always better to spar against p pl with more xp and skill then you, well i got my first bloody nose against the college guy and after that i vowed to never get a bloody nose sparring again i sparred him again and did very good, the training and beating/blood and sweat all helps you in the end i have improved so much sparring with these older guys.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The New Boy said:
hmm my first sparring session i had maybe a few months of xp i fouhgt against a guy who has been boxing for 1 year, well we went two 3min min round and i could not even last the second round but i did great i knocked his mouth piece out of his mouth with a right, well im 15 i spar guys in college and that are seniors because its always better to spar against p pl with more xp and skill then you, well i got my first bloody nose against the college guy and after that i vowed to never get a bloody nose sparring again i sparred him again and did very good, the training and beating/blood and sweat all helps you in the end i have improved so much sparring with these older guys.
Yeah, once I start boxing, I want to spar mostly those who are significantly older and more experienced than me.

I haven't ever been in any kind of fight, really. Not even a fist fight outside the gym. This leads me to believe that I will really get pummeled when I get into my first fight/sparring session, but that's what I hope for, since it can only make me better. Sparring with a stronger, older, more experienced fighter will really make an improvement, if not, it'll just be really painful.:D

G

·
Unless you're really old some of these stories are hard to believe. I mean, I'm not saying you're lying, but most Gym's will not put a rookie into sparring without at least a couple months of experience (research and experience ftw).

That said, I only recently started boxing; I'll be going to my fourth class on Wednesday, but I'm progressing quickly. I have most of the basics down: movement, jab, cross, hook, uppercut, bobbing and weaving etc.. I have a couple problems with my technique right now (well, probably a lot, but in my eyes). First of all, when I am throwing a combo I don't bring my right hand back up to my chin until I'm finished the combo. So, if I'm throwing a l-jab, r-cross, l-hook, r-cross, my right hand goes back to bring my elbow down, covering my body but not my chin. I'm working on that. My other problem is my breathing. I tend to hold my breath (which is a bad thing) so I'm learning to gradually exhale hard when I do my punches; I've found that it adds power and reminds me to breathe.

Anyway, I'm looking to start sparring a little earlier than normal, but I still don't expect to be allowed to until I've gotten about a month and a half maybe two months experience.

I'll be sure to let you guys know how it ends. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My first amateur fight , I knocked down my opponent 20 seconds into the first rd. I ended up with jello-legs in the 3rd and lost a decision.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well mine may not count as it was Sport Jiu Jitsu which is definitely not boxing but I brilliantly blocked a hard kick with an open hand slap I stopped and looking at the coach and saying I think I sprained my finger and I can't use this hand and him looking at me in disgust and saying "Well then use your other hand."

Good times

·
Registered
1 Posts
my first sparring session was actually only twoo weeks ago so i remember vividly what my coach did to me lol but anyway my coach is six feet tall about 195 and im the same height but around 250 needless to say he was 3 million times quicker than me i did okay i only really took to hard hits it was won where i tried to go inside and i did (not with much success) and when we went to seperate i tried to give him a right cross to the face because i felt it was way to exposed and he knew the **** was coming and counter with a hell of a ******* left hook that i had no chance of stopping the other time he hurt me was with a right cross to the stomach that landed right as i was inhaling so it wasnt to pleseant... i was mad as hell because i was ******* up on my jab he was moving around so much that i started jumping in slightly with my jab and thats no good...but i did get in quite a few good body shots because when i did get the jab going i was able to back em up to the ropes and go for the body the was one combo that i caught him pretty good with it was a cross to the body left hook to the body then a cross to the face....still i know i got my ass beat i only got good shots off when i was able to go inside with him...and by the end of the 3rd i thought i was gonna ******* pass out from how tired i was but he said im good i just need to work on conditioning an stop jumping into the jab

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Unless you're really old some of these stories are hard to believe. I mean, I'm not saying you're lying, but most Gym's will not put a rookie into sparring without at least a couple months of experience (research and experience ftw).
You wouldnt believe, I mean my friend got in a sparring session before a month, so you're right =p

My first sparring came 6 months ago and I had 2 months xp.. I tryed to avoid getting hit in the first rounds, turns out I ended up damm tyred after the first round running, after that I had no legs and then I tryed some Mayweahter posture shlderroll, of course it didnt work and I ate 3 big shots, after that I started charging with my head down and protecting my chin, I ended up with my belt line all battered...next thing i had to take two weeks off because of the pain

G

·
Yeah my coach has given me the go-ahead to attend a sparring workshop so I can start. Jan 28th, the day can't come sooner. I've progressed really fast and my biggest problem now is my cardio. So I'm working double-time on that. The only other "real" problem with my fundamentals right now is the way I throw my punches. I'm using too much upper-body and I'm not throwing my hips into it. I really need to start doing that. Other than that I'm feeling very confident, I can't wait to spar for the first time. I'm also going to be having it recorded on video by my girlfriend so I'll probably post it up on here. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts