Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First i want to know what you gusy think about using Creatine while boxing. Pro's and con's?

Second, Im trying to lose weight (too much Pizza in college). if i take creatine while cutting calories but still lifting, what results could i expect?

-Melty

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
To be honest i've never really gotten so serious that i've used creatine. Its a new thing i've been hearing about while looking at this forum. I might pick some up depending on the pros and cons of it. I'm only 106 5' 7" which is too light for my height so if it'll help me gain weight and give me the nutrition i need then i'll be using it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Creatine

First i want to know what you gusy think about using Creatine while boxing. Pro's and con's?

Second, Im trying to lose weight (too much Pizza in college). if i take creatine while cutting calories but still lifting, what results could i expect?

-Melty
I wouldn't advise getting on straight creatine. To cut it short, it will basically make you gain way to much muscle (more than desired)and will make you slower and more sluggish with the hands. One of the things it does is allow water to have easier access to your cells and in result swelling up in your muscles. I love to lift about 3 days a week on the days im not training because I do think it is an important component in boxing (that is if your doing light weight high reps, supersetting, and getting lots of cardio while your at it). I've taken something called betagen in the past and it seems to work very well. It contains a very small amount of creatine, but packed with other good stuff. It's mainly for muscle recooperation, so you don't gain much muscle but you will be a bit stronger, which is what I like about it, and tastes great. Look into it. Good Luck

·
Registered
841 Posts
Re

Honestly..i might try something like that but i don't know if its good cause i'm still growing i'm only 16. Any suggestions?
Yeah you'll be growing alot in the next 2 years. Betagen really isn't near as harmful to your body as straight up taking creatine is. It is perfectly safe to take it, and if you want to be even safer just take half of the recommended serving(thats what I did, one teaspoon or so). Like I said, even though it does have a little creatine in it, from my experience it just increases strength with minimal muscle gains which is why I liked it so much. I also had less muscle pulls and sprains while I was on it. The stuff tastes awesome, kinda like orange gatorade and is packed with vitamin C. You could also take a multivitamin, that would be great for you at 16. From my experience, mega men sport from GNC is a great multivitamin. It's an all natural supplement and its got all your body needs. I think you can still get betagen at the vitamin shop but im not sure about GNC. Its made by EAS and is the orange flavor powder. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I for one contstantly battle weight- my fight weight (peak) is about 245 and I walk around at 280, I find it impossible to drop weight while on creatine or Amino crank (NOX.etc) I can got like hell for a month and maybe drop 2 pounds, and when I come off creatine I will lose 10-15lbs in the next two weeks - If you going to use it just keep this in mind and dont get discoraged if you arent dropping weight because you will when you come off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Creatine

I have been using creatine for years. I have not gained large amounts of muscle from it - and why would that be bad. Muscle gain is a function of training style (AKA body building). Strength and power training are totally different - I know of a 168 pound guy who deadlifts 625+.

Do your research, there are a plenty of medically based articles on taking creatine. I have never experienced water retention, bloating ... and whatever other myths that are out there. Medical research currently states that 5 grams a day and no need to "load". Not only does it improve muscle recovery but increases cerebral function. It is has been researched and now is prescribed for people over 50.

Consider this, Olympic athletes from all countries use it. If it was bad, or useless they wouldn't.

Now, it will not aid in fat loss. What it does is improve lean muscle mass recovery. Muscle burns fat - plain and simple.
Don't cut your calories to much, calorie deficit with put your body into a conserve mode and you will stop burning fat - you will actually start to store it and consume muscle.
1 pound of fat = 3500 calories. Do the math, you'll be able to figure out what it really takes to lose those pounds.
And since you're on this forum, you have picked one of the best ways to attack it.

Do your research, and more importantly read the right research. I have found a number of good articles at t-nation.com as well as nsca-lift.org (as a member).

jason

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have been using creatine for years. I have not gained large amounts of muscle from it - and why would that be bad. Muscle gain is a function of training style (AKA body building). Strength and power training are totally different - I know of a 168 pound guy who deadlifts 625+.

Do your research, there are a plenty of medically based articles on taking creatine. I have never experienced water retention, bloating ... and whatever other myths that are out there. Medical research currently states that 5 grams a day and no need to "load". Not only does it improve muscle recovery but increases cerebral function. It is has been researched and now is prescribed for people over 50.

Consider this, Olympic athletes from all countries use it. If it was bad, or useless they wouldn't.

Now, it will not aid in fat loss. What it does is improve lean muscle mass recovery. Muscle burns fat - plain and simple.
Don't cut your calories to much, calorie deficit with put your body into a conserve mode and you will stop burning fat - you will actually start to store it and consume muscle.
1 pound of fat = 3500 calories. Do the math, you'll be able to figure out what it really takes to lose those pounds.
And since you're on this forum, you have picked one of the best ways to attack it.

Do your research, and more importantly read the right research. I have found a number of good articles at t-nation.com as well as nsca-lift.org (as a member).

jason
We were referring to taking straight creatine for boxing, if your a bodybuilder why not, but in boxing you don't want all that bulk, and creatine will definitely slow you down, and thats why I've been away from it for several years ever since I started boxing. You need to do your research on a cellular level and see whats actually happening in the muscles, try reading about what it does to your kidney's. I can also assure you that creatine in no way increases the function the cerebral hemispheres in the brain. Your saying that it increases motor skills, memory, and all five senses at the same tiime, thats simply not logical. Get your info from a creditable source next time and try not to qoute it word for word.

·
Registered
18 Posts
?

How does creatine slow you down? Seriously.
Please, show me the medical evidence that it hurts kidneys.
Creatine is probably one of the most researched supplements. You should be able to search for correct information yourself. I would not take any thing you read on any board as gospel, especially since you don't know any of us.
Do your own research, and make it thorough. There are plenty of articles by medical professionals and research bodies that will provide the proper information so that you can make your own decision.

I can tell you how creatine works at the cellular level, how it is predominantly stored in the muscular system, its function in the ATP process ... but you can search this out yourself or, as I do, read the publications that I get from the NSCA and the medical papers for people in the industry.

Lots of old school thinking that is wrong gets "parroted". Lifting weights will make you slower, no sex before a fight ...
And lets be serious, your concerned about creatine. Do you drink pop, do you microwave food in a plastic container - take a punch to the head.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Well I don’t know what the negative effects of creatine are but I took it for about a year and it worked real well. As long as your working out consistently that is. I have seen people try and take it without the regular workout and its not a pretty sight.

·
Registered
841 Posts
How does creatine slow you down? Seriously.
Please, show me the medical evidence that it hurts kidneys.
Creatine is probably one of the most researched supplements. You should be able to search for correct information yourself. I would not take any thing you read on any board as gospel, especially since you don't know any of us.
Do your own research, and make it thorough. There are plenty of articles by medical professionals and research bodies that will provide the proper information so that you can make your own decision.

I can tell you how creatine works at the cellular level, how it is predominantly stored in the muscular system, its function in the ATP process ... but you can search this out yourself or, as I do, read the publications that I get from the NSCA and the medical papers for people in the industry.

Lots of old school thinking that is wrong gets "parroted". Lifting weights will make you slower, no sex before a fight ...
And lets be serious, your concerned about creatine. Do you drink pop, do you microwave food in a plastic container - take a punch to the head.
You sound like you've been talking to a GNC rep trying to get you to buy the stuff for hours. It slows you down. I know from experience. And yes it does increase muscle mass and bulk more than leaness. I also know from experience and from seeing 50 others on the stuff on my football team awhile back. Creatine does damage your kidney's, when it is abused. Hmmmmmm I wonder how many teenagers abuse it????. Probably most, especially when their coach is screaming down their ear to lift more, and then your best friend almost dies from kidney failure and remains in the hospital for 2 months. You have all the facts but lack the practical info, and experience. If you love the stuff so much why don't you go snort a line of it and do a whole study on that and write another 2 page essay letting us know what it does and how it works. Last time I checked this is a boxing forum to get advice and talk BOXING, not debate central where you try and see who you can argue with. No, I don't drink soda, or microwave food in a plastic container, I happen to be very deticated to my boxing. Take a punch to the face, HA, try me buddy, any time, anywhere, any place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
oh really

You sound like you've been talking to a GNC rep trying to get you to buy the stuff for hours. It slows you down. I know from experience. And yes it does increase muscle mass and bulk more than leaness. I also know from experience and from seeing 50 others on the stuff on my football team awhile back. Creatine does damage your kidney's, when it is abused. Hmmmmmm I wonder how many teenagers abuse it????. Probably most, especially when their coach is screaming down their ear to lift more, and then your best friend almost dies from kidney failure and remains in the hospital for 2 months. You have all the facts but lack the practical info, and experience. If you love the stuff so much why don't you go snort a line of it and do a whole study on that and write another 2 page essay letting us know what it does and how it works. Last time I checked this is a boxing forum to get advice and talk BOXING, not debate central where you try and see who you can argue with. No, I don't drink soda, or microwave food in a plastic container, I happen to be very deticated to my boxing. Take a punch to the face, HA, try me buddy, any time, anywhere, any place.
Well Mr. high school train at home, aren't we a bit touchy.
Steroids cause kidney damage, maybe your friends who feel pressured were taking that? Or maybe overloading on Ephedrine? Or .... what else do kids like yourself do. Like I said - Show me the Medical information, not what you think your bestest friend may or may not have done. 50 guys on the football team all doing the same thing, good to see y'all can think for yourself.

This is a boxing forum, and the question was posed. I gave an opinion that was primarily do your research.

You sound like a little kid who is stressed out, maybe a short fuse. Are you on steroids? You know thats bad for your kidneys.

Take a punch to the head - let me explain since you don't understand. I guess you don't understand. If you are concerned about your kidneys, be concerned about your nervous system.

Chill chum. Start a flame war on your HS boards.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Betagen

Betagen really isn't near as harmful to your body as straight up taking creatine is. It is perfectly safe to take it, and if you want to be even safer just take half of the recommended serving(thats what I did, one teaspoon or so).

So if Betagen is ok why is creatine not? Taking 2 grams of creatine three times daily is better than 5 grams at once?

Store:&nbsp Betagen®

Ingredient Details:
Phosphagen (HPCE pure creatine monohydrate), maltodextrin, dextrose, calcium B-hydroxy B-methylbutyrate monohydrate (HMB), l-glutamine, natural and artificial flavors, citric acid taurine, beet powder for color, aspartame, potassium phosphate and red 40.

I agree with halving the dosage if you feel like it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
So if Betagen is ok why is creatine not? Taking 2 grams of creatine three times daily is better than 5 grams at once?

Store:&nbsp Betagen®

Ingredient Details:
Phosphagen (HPCE pure creatine monohydrate), maltodextrin, dextrose, calcium B-hydroxy B-methylbutyrate monohydrate (HMB), l-glutamine, natural and artificial flavors, citric acid taurine, beet powder for color, aspartame, potassium phosphate and red 40.

I agree with halving the dosage if you feel like it.
First of all don't call me a kid. Im actually in the middle of obtaining a bachelor's degree, prick. If you could read right you'd see that I said several years ago. Yeah so I train at home alot, mainly because of where I live now. I have everything a gym would have, plus plenty people to sparr with, plenty of gear,and am no less than people who have the privilege of training at a gym. If you read my comments on betagen right you also would have noticed that I was writing in past tense, I don't take it anymore. I was pointing out that it doesn't have as much creatine in it. If all you have to do is start s*** on this forum and not be able to back it up you need to find something else to do. What set me off is that you said I was "attacking creatine," no, I was telling the kid what I thought about it while boxing not "deadlifting 625+,woohoo." My point in the last comment was that most people abuse it. IF YOU DID YOUR RESEARCH on abusing creatine you'll see that there are in fact side-effects. Your right that creatine isn't bad in most ways and I agree with you on that one, but again im reffering to using it while training for boxing. And no im not on steriods, never have, never will, I just don't take s*** from people like you. Also, your obviously educated in medicine, im guessing personal trainer or PT, that doesn't mean you can go around showing off and talking down on people because you think your all high and mighty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So now its only if you abuse ceatine. You never said that before.

I didn't start anything, you did. I have pointed out that you contradicted yourself and now our tune has changed.

Did you know to much water is bad as well? Abuse anything and its bad.

Good luck with the degree, prick. Communications?

·
Registered
841 Posts
So now its only if you abuse ceatine. You never said that before.

I didn't start anything, you did. I have pointed out that you contradicted yourself and now our tune has changed.

Did you know to much water is bad as well? Abuse anything and its bad.

Good luck with the degree, prick. Communications?
You really are conceded. I could tell as soon as you started calling me a kid. So what if i was a kid, does that make me any less of a man. Brooklyn rican is only 16 and 110 pounds an deticated to boxing, does that make him inferior to you, I'd bet my life he'd drop you with one swift punch and dance a jig around you (sorry bud, had to use u as example). So what if I was in communications? What gives you the right to talk down on me??? It's actually biotechnology, prick. You need a nice left hook to the chin for unforgiving wake up call that your no better than anybody else. Creatine is more widely used by teenagers in sports than anybody else, and most do abuse it and I know that from first hand experience from what I saw in football. How many of them are actually going to drink enough water. You don't know because you were busy blowing your tuba in band practice. Hope to see you in the ring someday. later cool guy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.