Your Top 10 of all time

3K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  Kameleon 
#1 ·
What is your P4P top 10 of all time? Mine is:

1. Rocky Marciano
2. Larry Holmes
3. Sugar Ray Robinson
4. Joe Louis
5. Muhammad ALi/Cassius Clay (same person)
6. Sugar Ray Leonard
7. Roberto Duran
8. Jor Frazier
9. Alexis Arguello
10. Willie Pep

The "almost made its": Carlos Monzon, Gene Tunney, Jack Dempsey, Max Baer, Carmen Basilio, Jake LaMotta, George Foreman (came very close at 11), Ezzard Charles, Bernard Hopkins (12th), and Roy Jones Jr.

#5 ·
Dr. Wisdom said:
1. P. Whitiker
2. Ray Robinson
3. Roy Jones Jr
4. Sugar Ray Len.
5. Julio Cesar Chevez
6. Hagler
7. Floyd Mayweather -- and climbing
8. James Toney -- Ugg I said it
9. Tito
10 Emanuel Auguastus
James Toney??? Please, he is nothing compared to the guys in the 70's and earlier. He is skilled for this era, but not the 80's, 70's, 60's, 50's, 40's, 30's, and so on. Gerry Cooney would beat this guy, so would Jerry/Mike Quarry. Pernell Whitaker for 1! That is out ragous! Pernell wouldn't stand a prayer against Leonard, Robinson, Hagler, Marciano, Holmes, ALi/Clay, Frazier, Louis, and many, many, more. I would get rid of Toney, Tito, Augustus, Mayweather, and Chavez. Anyone else agree with me?

#6 ·
bill1234 said:
James Toney??? Please, he is nothing compared to the guys in the 70's and earlier. He is skilled for this era, but not the 80's, 70's, 60's, 50's, 40's, 30's, and so on. Gerry Cooney would beat this guy, so would Jerry/Mike Quarry. Pernell Whitaker for 1! That is out ragous! Pernell wouldn't stand a prayer against Leonard, Robinson, Hagler, Marciano, Holmes, ALi/Clay, Frazier, Louis, and many, many, more. I would get rid of Toney, Tito, Augustus, Mayweather, and Chavez. Anyone else agree with me?

Well first of all, I put Augustus there as a joke, I like him as a boxer and a person ( HE is really a nice guy if you ever get a chance to meet him)

2nd I thought this was pound for pound rating. As big of Rocky Marciano fan I am, I do not consider him a Top 10 p4p boxer. He fought like a gorrilla. He hit a ton and he had a heart like a lion, but the fought like a gorrilla.

As far as my arguement on whitaker. He had the championship at 4 differnt weight classes. I think that would explain a lot.

As for Toney, he too has won the Championship at couple differnt weight classes. Super Middle, Crusier, and he did beat Ruiz who was the champ.

I am not a Toney fan, but I do have respect for what he as done.

#7 ·
i wouldn't argue with sweet pea being in anybody's list he was that good.:thumbsup:

considering what toney has done/ being middleweight champ then becomeing the biggest hw draw you can argue i wont put him in my top 20, it is a matter of opinion though.

marciano/ i agree with the doc on this one a lot of heart and could bang but his skill was non-egsistant.

#8 ·
here you go guy's break this down.

#1.robinson
#2.ali
#3.leonord
#4.jones jnr
#5.chavez
#6.delahoya
#7.hearns
#8.hopkins
#9.barrera
#10.tyson (aged below 24)

#9 ·
tommygunn said:
here you go guy's break this down.

#1.robinson
#2.ali
#3.leonord
#4.jones jnr
#5.chavez
#6.delahoya
#7.hearns
#8.hopkins
#9.barrera
#10.tyson (aged below 24)
Tyson??? Marciano would beat his *** any where, any time, any condition (within reason). Robison was like Ali/Clay. He got some gift stoppages/decisions. DeLaHoya is great for his this era, Pep would destroy him. Jones Jr is a duck, but he has skill, Barrera same thing as delahoya, and leonard got the crap kicked out of him by Hagler and Hearns (2). Everything wlse is fine.

#11 ·
Why not, Tyson was not a boxer, he was a slugger. Marciano would KO him in at the most 5 rounds. Tyson could not take a punch Marciano could. Marciano could throw a bigger punch than Tyson too. Tyson couldn't box, he could fight, but not box.

#12 ·
bill1234 said:
Why not, Tyson was not a boxer, he was a slugger. Marciano would KO him in at the most 5 rounds. Tyson could not take a punch Marciano could. Marciano could throw a bigger punch than Tyson too. Tyson couldn't box, he could fight, but not box.

Have you seen Tyson's earlier fights. Before his trainer died he actually did box, he just had one heck of a puch. Saddly he became a head hunter.

Tyson could take a punch, the beating he took from Lewis, pretty much shows what type of Punch he could take.

I'm not arguing the fact that Tyson could beat Rocky, because Tyson would lose aginst the Rock. Tyson could never handle a fearless boxer.

#13 ·
Dr. Wisdom said:
Have you seen Tyson's earlier fights. Before his trainer died he actually did box, he just had one heck of a puch. Saddly he became a head hunter.

Tyson could take a punch, the beating he took from Lewis, pretty much shows what type of Punch he could take.

I'm not arguing the fact that Tyson could beat Rocky, because Tyson would lose aginst the Rock. Tyson could never handle a fearless boxer.
tyson was pure skill before cus died ive never seen a hw put lightning fast combos together with such power and doubt i ever will.

i agree that tyson had a great chin though, lewis punched the fight out him but mike wasn't ko'd.

by the way guys marciano was never in with anyone half as good as tyson, louis was finnished and walcott had been shown up a few times before.

#14 ·
bill1234 said:
Tyson??? Marciano would beat his *** any where, any time, any condition (within reason). Robison was like Ali/Clay. He got some gift stoppages/decisions. DeLaHoya is great for his this era, Pep would destroy him. Jones Jr is a duck, but he has skill, Barrera same thing as delahoya, and leonard got the crap kicked out of him by Hagler and Hearns (2). Everything wlse is fine.
i dont think there's any doubt about robinson and ali, and delahoya v pep is a matter of opinion. jones beat them all hop and toney spring to mind and leonard well, he beat hearns thats fact and i never realy rated haggler with these guy because he never left his comfort zone where hearns and leonard were natural 147 guys and duran was a natural 135 guy.

#15 ·
tommygunn said:
tyson was pure skill before cus died ive never seen a hw put lightning fast combos together with such power and doubt i ever will.

i agree that tyson had a great chin though, lewis punched the fight out him but mike wasn't ko'd.

by the way guys marciano was never in with anyone half as good as tyson, louis was finnished and walcott had been shown up a few times before.
Was Tyson ever in against an Ezzard Charles? Was Tyson ever in with a more skilled, and experienced Archie Moore? Was Tyson ever in with a guy for 15 rounds doing nothing but pure slugging? No he wasn't! Tysons best oppenent that he beat when they were in their prime would have to be Berbick, and Berbick wasn't "great" ok? I don't know why you don't like Marciano, but you like Tyson but I know one thing Tyson never was and never will be a Rocky Marciano. How many times was Tyson Knocked Down in his career? Marciano was knocked down twice in 49 fights which is very good.

#16 ·
ezzard charles best days were behind him when he faced the rock and archie moore was a lightheavyweight.

if marciano had fought in the late 80's early 90's he would definatley have lost more fights some of these guys were 240 pounds that tyson was blowing away man and the rock was very very small for a hw.

infact marciano would only be a cruiserweight if he was fighting these days.

#17 ·
Marciano was 5'10'', Tyson was 5'11'', 1 inch is not a big difference at all. Basicaly what your saying is Tyson would beat the crap out of Marciano. Who was 240lbs that Tyson flatened? Most of his oppenents were around 220. And Ezzard Charles was only 3 years older than Marciano ok? Tyson made people fear him so they were done from the start. Marciano just did what most fighters of the 50's do, be polite and not mouth off and cursing. Tyson has proven he couldn't take a punch. Buster Douglas wasn't a power hitter, neither was Holyfield. Lewis? He was a boxer with a good right. According to Larry Holmes Tyson doesn't hit as hard as people think. Marciano of all people to say Tyson would beat? I'm going to put a poll up asking people who they think would win.

#18 ·
marciano would weigh in less than 200 pounds where tyson was always way over that mark. its evoloution tyson would have beaten marciano 10 times out of 10

#19 ·
bill1234 said:
Marciano was 5'10'', Tyson was 5'11'', 1 inch is not a big difference at all. Basicaly what your saying is Tyson would beat the crap out of Marciano. Who was 240lbs that Tyson flatened? Most of his oppenents were around 220. And Ezzard Charles was only 3 years older than Marciano ok? Tyson made people fear him so they were done from the start. Marciano just did what most fighters of the 50's do, be polite and not mouth off and cursing. Tyson has proven he couldn't take a punch. Buster Douglas wasn't a power hitter, neither was Holyfield. Lewis? He was a boxer with a good right. According to Larry Holmes Tyson doesn't hit as hard as people think. Marciano of all people to say Tyson would beat? I'm going to put a poll up asking people who they think would win.
holmes saying tyson didn't punch to hard is a bit of a joke mike flatened him.

#21 ·
tommygunn said:
marciano would weigh in less than 200 pounds where tyson was always way over that mark. its evoloution tyson would have beaten marciano 10 times out of 10
If they were in the same era, Marciano would DESTROY Tyson. Tyson could not take Holyfields punches, so you think he could deal with the Rock's Susie Q? Thats just screwed up.

#24 ·
1. he was a better boxer. 2.he was about a zillion times faster 3. he was bigger. 4. he takes a great shot 5. if mikes personal life was stable he could have been the best ever.

hey im not disin marciano i thought he was a great fighter in his era but sport evolves and athleates become better over the years.:thumbsup:

#25 ·
tommygunn said:
1. he was a better boxer. 2.he was about a zillion times faster 3. he was bigger. 4. he takes a great shot 5. if mikes personal life was stable he could have been the best ever.

hey im not disin marciano i thought he was a great fighter in his era but sport evolves and athleates become better over the years.:thumbsup:
4 is screwed up, Marciano could take a much better shot than Tyson. Tyson was not a boxer, he was a brawler like Marciano. 3 Tyson was 1 inch taller, and had 30lbs on Marciano because of his mucle not height. Also I disagree about athletes getting better. They have it easier with all of the technology and refs stopping fights after a good combo. Also 12 rounds is a lot easier than 15 rounds. The fighters have twice as much fat as they did 20 years ago. 5 doesnt count because that has nothing to do with Marciano.

#26 ·
bill1234 said:
4 is screwed up, Marciano could take a much better shot than Tyson. Tyson was not a boxer, he was a brawler like Marciano. 3 Tyson was 1 inch taller, and had 30lbs on Marciano because of his mucle not height. Also I disagree about athletes getting better. They have it easier with all of the technology and refs stopping fights after a good combo. Also 12 rounds is a lot easier than 15 rounds. The fighters have twice as much fat as they did 20 years ago. 5 doesnt count because that has nothing to do with Marciano.
no bill before tyson went to jail and his loss to buster he was a boxer and a great boxer to boot.

he started relying on a single punch after his prime which was when he came out of jail.

i agree marciano prob did take a better shot than tyson but that doesn't mean mikes is bad mike has a great chin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.