questions from someone just starting:
My background: weightlifting, which I understand is very bad for boxing in terms of going for heavy weights and low reps.
20 years old, 6'1 220 pounds
Now straight to my questions:
- I just joined a gym. Today was my first day and I have to say compared to the weight lifting I am used to, it totally kicked my ass. I got gassed quick. Is there any way to incorporate weight lifting into boxing? As in box, and do weights at the same time? I understand it'd have to be 15-30 reps.
- The owner/trainer (I signed up for some personal lessons) asked me if I was interested in fighting and I said, possibly I would be. He asked my age, and said "it's a little late at 20" but didn't say out of the question. Is it too late to fight if this what I end up wanting to do?
- How often are you guys in the gym training? I want to do it everyday like I did with weights as I like to be active, working out and being healthy.
- When should I buy gloves? He threw in a free pair of wrist wraps (gave me a free lesson today) since I signed up for 12 personal lessons. He said they have gloves for free that people can use.
- Finally: how do I get better? just practice? Will reading articles online/watching youtube videos help?